Advice for new people?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Advice for new people?

This is a discussion on Advice for new people? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Is there a thread with advice on topics to avoid for new people? I recently started a thread discussing my designs for a SHTF facility ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Advice for new people?

Advice for new people?

Is there a thread with advice on topics to avoid for new people?

I recently started a thread discussing my designs for a SHTF facility and immediately was roasted for it. I think to avoid conflict a thread listing "Touchy" subjects might be a good idea. I have so far enjoyed this Forum and want to keep enjoying it but roasting new people about a thread they start isn't very welcoming. It's not like i knew not to post my ideas!

Any-who, is there one or should we start one? Like i said, i want to keep the Forum friendly and inviting to new people and not chase them away by roasting their ass for mentioning shipping containers because "Some of us are burnt out"

So, members what subjects should we avoid?
    Slippy and Lucky Jim like this.

common sense is key, when one guy is getting a hard time for his designs, its not a good idea to introduce another

selling crap, on your first post, not a good idea..

otherwise, live and let live, eg post A I may tear you a new one, post B I may 100% agree and support you, nature of forums
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

The response you received wasn't so much directed *at* you, though it may have felt that way.
    There is another thread still going on, that I believe someone linked in your thread, about someone wanting to set up a mini-town of sorts.
    That thread is 30 pages long now, and the frustration around it grows by the day.
    When your post popped up, it may have sounded similar to the idea expressed in that other one, and thus the ire it brought was thrown at you too.
    Don't take it personal.
    Most topics are completely up for discussion, but you should do a little searching to see if it may have been covered ad nauseam.
    The other main thing that gets folks riled up are the "single-post salesmen" who drop in to tout their wares, and then vanish.

Other than that, bring it on. Just know that people have bad days, and you might pick the wrong one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yeah i read his post after i posted mine, if i had known his was on here i wouldnt have posted mine, i'm not trying to sell anything by any means. and as you can tell by my post count (Still quickly rising) im not a "One hit wonder" I definitely understand the frustration towards the subject after reading his thread, but, mine was completely different. Yeah i probably took it to personal but i felt like being roasted for having an idea about building a self-sustaining complex for post SHTF plus planned on using it quite a bit even pre SHTF was distasteful. I definitely won't bring up that subject nor the "Should i buy an AK or AR" subject again. I guess i should have known it would turn into "Chevy or Ford" or "Glock or 1911" type arguments.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks19 View Post
    I definitely won't bring up that subject nor the "Should i buy an AK or AR" subject again. I guess i should have known it would turn into "Chevy or Ford" or "Glock or 1911" type arguments.
    hate to say this, firearms, cars, boats, planes, knives... when you ask the question "what one is better" with 2 top and common options, its exactly what your inviting

but another word, common topics, like firearms, bug out bags, and what do you prep for, search for it (advanced search option) and go for titles, a lot of battles here have been fort over what's better, a ar or ak, my opinion they are both good, and both crap, (chev vs Ford, ford all day baby but I drive a Holden (chev brand, but rebadged Isuzu) and my statement here is they are both crap, a 300bhp ford vs a 300bhp holden, no matter what good on ya for building your ride, we are conditioned to what brand is better)

if your idea is any good and less fantasy than reliance on 50cal snipers fell free to pm me for a discussion, I enjoy this type of thought, as post shtf there will be towns, gangs, drifters, and even a city or 2

if you stick around after a good beating it means your incredibly dumb, or adult enough to move on so enjoy and stick around
    omegabrock and Slippy like this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

i would probably say to just check the forums for subjects you are interested in and then if you still have questions, either add to a thread already opened or if you don't want to derail a topic (because that can be annoying) start a new thread with specific questions. to go back to the AR vs AK, instead of asking which is better or which you should buy you could get better and clearer answers by asking for specifics about the mechanics or verstility of each
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    hate to say this, firearms, cars, boats, planes, knives... when you ask the question "what one is better" with 2 top and common options, its exactly what your inviting

but another word, common topics, like firearms, bug out bags, and what do you prep for, search for it (advanced search option) and go for titles, a lot of battles here have been fort over what's better, a ar or ak, my opinion they are both good, and both crap, (chev vs Ford, ford all day baby but I drive a Holden (chev brand, but rebadged Isuzu) and my statement here is they are both crap, a 300bhp ford vs a 300bhp holden, no matter what good on ya for building your ride, we are conditioned to what brand is better)

if your idea is any good and less fantasy than reliance on 50cal snipers fell free to pm me for a discussion, I enjoy this type of thought, as post shtf there will be towns, gangs, drifters, and even a city or 2

if you stick around after a good beating it means your incredibly dumb, or adult enough to move on so enjoy and stick around
    I can take a thrashing... 50cal Snipers are the best tho :0)
    Denton and omegabrock like this.

Super Moderator

Aw, come on; you weren't roasted! Please. Nobody even brought a bottle of steak sauce to the event.

Take note of the recent flaming matches coupled with someone else who is here only to get supporting ideas for a lame notion while trying to build attention to his "gimme money" site, and you can see why we wanted to stifle any other thread that would stir crap.

Too much crap at one time is a sure-fire way of destroying a message board.

Don't worry, just use common sense and keep a finger on the pulse of the board.

Oh, and do not place your magazine on the inside of your castle; you'll want one wall to the outside; in case it blows. Also, weaken the roof so that the force goes up.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Advice to new folks from a new folk:
    Respect is first and foremost. That means no call out threads, No getting personal (Private life is PRIVATE), No name calling or other Ad hominems, Get to know the people here and talk to the site owners/Mods before selling stuff, Make sure that your quality and pricing is not insulting (Folks here are not stupid. They will let you know when you've overstepped.)

Have a sense of humor. Have fun.

My advice is free, So, Take it for what it's worth...

Actually if you want to sell thing here, you need to become a sponsor. Few have done that and many have treated this forum as their personal sales venue. If you look at the topic list, only one sub topic is for sale.

We've had bot's post all types of garbage. Entrepreneurs come in, post what they have for sale, piss and moan when no one shows any interest then leaves. So yeah, people tend to get a little irritated at this.

We have some who contribute a lot plus sell items. I have bought from at least two of those. They have shown respect for the forum and the people here. Others don't.

Jaded and intolerant? Yeah sometimes, but now maybe you understand why.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links