So...What Exactly Are We Preparing For? Zombie Apocalypse?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on So...What Exactly Are We Preparing For? Zombie Apocalypse? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I was watching a YouTube video of a guy who was demonstrating his bug out bag. It seemed he had an inordinately large assortment of ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: So...What Exactly Are We Preparing For? Zombie Apocalypse?

I was watching a YouTube video of a guy who was demonstrating his bug out bag. It seemed he had an inordinately large assortment of knives. I could understand maybe 3 (The machete, the Swiss Army Knife and the Bowie knife) but he had at least 10 others. Now, we're talking about a bug out bag...something that you have to carry on your back that holds everything you will need to survive. It seemed that the space taken up by the wide array of knives could have been better used.

However, I am ignorant and new to this so I was hoping the good folks in this forum could enlighten me on what the main reason is to prepare for.

For example, finish this sentence:

The reason I am a "prepper" is ___________.

the reason is to survive

youtube is a curse.... too many wack jobs
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

nightshade

that guy if he got into a knife fight would probably be disarmed and stabbed with his own knife..3 is a good number but id have all three on my person. a throwing knife, a mutlitool like swiss army and a combat knife.

• Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Mall ninja. Knives are a useful tool, but the first rule of a knife fight is shoot that sob in the face, twice!

In terms of knives, I always carry a pocket knife. The exception to that rule is Friday afternoons I do not carry it because I am usually flying home from somewhere and the TSA does not have much of a sense of humor about knives. I carry a Gerber multi-tool in my suitcase when I travel for business. In addition, in my get home bag, I carry a Gerber multi-tool and a fixed blade knife. I have never found a need for more than that.

On why I prep... I prep to learn how to do things the way my grandparents did. I find doing things myself, rather than just buying what I need from a store, to be a much more satisfying life. The fact that it also makes it much easier (or possible) to get through a crisis is just an added bonus.
    Denton and Suepreme like this.

I prep for the day I flip the light switch on and nothing happens, turn the water on and nothing, find I can no longer run down the road and pick up something for dinner. I prep for the day when I go outside and there are hoards of people either begging or out to steal anything they can lay hands on. I prep for the day when the only people you can depend on is yourself, family and perhaps a few close friends.
    I prep with the hope I never needed to prep after all, but one never knows.
    EDIT
    As far as the knife thing, I figure it's a free country so people can do as they wish, but for me, I think some go a little too knife crazy. I have a couple good knifes, and they do have their place. but as far as going out and depending on something for cutting wood for campfires and such, I'd take a good axe or bow saw over any knife money can buy.
    Last edited by Moonshinedave; 06-20-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Denton, dutch16, Slippy and 1 others like this.

The reason I'm a prepper is....because I know bad things can happen, usually when I least expect it. I certainly enjoy the use of modern conveniences, and yet they can be disrupted or gone in the blink of an eye. Mother nature is in the drivers seat, she always has been. Sometimes she decides to drive the bus over the edge. When that happens do you want to be wondering what to do next or do you want to have a plan and be prepared. I prefer to have a plan and be prepared. It's like taking out an insurance policy. I don't necessarily want to have to use it, yet it is there if I need to.

Add;
    There are a lot of people who simply take things way too far. A case in point is the mentioned video. Do I need a knife, I think so, it's a good idea to have one or possibly two in a bug out bag. Would I need to carry 15 knives in my bug out bag? probably not.
    Last edited by Seneca; 06-20-2014 at 09:14 AM.

I carry a Swiss army pocket knife with me at all times. (When I grew up ALL men had pocket knives on them). In my bug out bag I have a Leatherman's multitool and a fixed blade knife, an old Kbar.
    Inor and Go2ndAmend like this.

i started because society is going to shit and i don't trust people. it first started with a way to protect myself and my family and then turned into what i want to become my lifestyle. i can't stand people, crowds, loud noises that are all in the city. i got tired of hearing sirens every day and all night and tired of grabbing my shotgun every time i heard a noise outside. we lived in a bad area. i didnt get into prepping for any specific reason other than providing for my family, teaching skills to my kids so they will be able to provide for themselves and their families (and in turn, learning those skills myself), all while still being able to enjoy the technology of today's world. if a time will come where we don't have that technology in the foreseeable future, we will not be devastated to the point where our lives depend on it but instead, be able to enjoy the technology for convenience but have the necessary tools to live without them.
    Denton and Slippy like this.

I prep because I am responsible for my family's well-being in ALL circumstances (whether it be buying my wife a new pair of shoes to make her smile, or fending off ravenous hordes of flesh-eating zombies).

I prep because I can count the number of people I truly trust on one hand, and therefore I have to trust my own state of readiness.

I prep because I put my family above myself.

Side note: I carry 1 folder with me at all times. My BOB has a multi-tool and a fixed blade knife. Weight is a big issue if you're gonna hump a rack 20 miles. Every ounce counts.
    Arklatex, Inor, Denton and 1 others like this.

•  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links