Serious question for everybody

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Serious question for everybody within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok, long story, I have noticed a guy form high school seems to " have fallen off the deep end" on facebook. He is sounding ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Serious question for everybody

Ok, long story, I have noticed a guy form high school seems to " have fallen off the deep end" on facebook. He is sounding stark raving freaking lunatical ( is that a word).
    I even asked him to call me, he didn't. the next day, he seems normal, then today, BOOM back to talking CRAZY stuff, I mean, CRAZY. No threats or anything, but he does mention "i would never hurt myself or anyone else".
    We were "friends" in High School, not like we hung out, but, I can see this going going south real easy?
    What the hell do I do, reach out to someone? Ignore? What the hell would I do if he does some dumb shit, I have done nothing to try to intervene?
    Obviously, the easiest way, would be sever ties, never worry about him. BUT, GOD forbid he does something, then I gotta wonder if a phone call or something could have changed anything.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

depends on what kinda crazy bro, mental health is fucked here, so would be worse there...

my advice call him and talk about old times
    GTGallop likes this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    depends on what kinda crazy bro, mental health is fucked here, so would be worse there...

my advice call him and talk about old times
    Yea I think you got it right,,,then go from there

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Do you know any of this guy's family so that you could speak to them about your former friend's writings?
    Casie and oldmurph58 like this.

If his behavior could be drug related, I'd stay far away. The last thing you need is to get sucked into an addict's problems. You'd be the perfect kind of friend for a junkie to really sucker in. You are kind. You want to help. You are a friend. But not so close that you know what he's been up to, so he can get away with lying to you, for a little while at least. And he hasn't already tapped you for money. Or robbed your home.

You are a smart guy. I know you can take care of yourself. Just be careful, Deebo.

Making contact means you are inviting him into your life.
    ==(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)==
    ¤´¨`·.¸¸.*Casie*.¸¸.·´¨`¤
    ==(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)==

I think in todays times, with all of the craziness of mass shootings to get attention or whatever you want to label it....I would feel pretty guilty if I saw what could be labeled as indicators and stayed silent. I recommend looking into his friends list for parents, siblings, etc, and chatting them up directly and seeing if the guy is on/off meds...maybe even discuss with the parents/siblings speaking to a professional about a Psych eval...voluntary or committed if warranted. And then once you have a good understanding of the fellows current condition, if it's more a "Life's got me down, or sucks scenario, then maybe start engaging the guy to see if he needs an ear to bend or a shoulder to cry on. Rushing into a situation that could have severe components to it (psychological issues, drugs) is never a good thing in my book. Recon the objective...make plans, rehearse, modify plans, rehearse, execute....recover...drink a beer.
    MrsInor, Deebo and oldmurph58 like this.

It never fails to amaze me how many people out here are actually certifiable. It can happen suddenly or gradually. Boys I graduated with are now women, some are delusional and can't even hold a conversation. My own sister descended into mental illness and the substance abuse that so often accompanies it and has since passed away. She was a brilliant, wealthy, professional and beautiful woman.

If your friend says anything that would cause you concern for his safety or anyone elses I would notify his local Police Department and request a welfare check.

it's one of those situations where you have to be as alert as you can and each situation takes different actions. if someone actually wants to kill them self, they won't advertise it. when you advertise it, people will try and stop you. same *can* be said if someone wants to hurt someone else (unless they are doing it in a way they sound like they are bragging about it...then it's about notoriety). that's not saying they won't do either in the future but if what he says now is causing concern, it would be a bigger red flag if he completely stopped out of the blue. try to find someone that has closer contact with him like was said earlier and get information from them or at least let them know what he is saying causes issues.

be aware and approach with caution. without getting into too much detail, we have a mental health problem in the US and i never felt better until i got off medication 'they' said i needed
    oldmurph58 likes this.

nightshade

you termed it a "friend" from high school. I would stay away from it..sounds cold but its the truth. what you find may be more disturbing than you previously thought and if you make contact with him and then never contact him again he might just do something he otherwise would not...some people are crazy forever, some people have breakdowns and then get through them and are stronger for it.

If he is a good friend then i would try to help him. its up to you..follow your heart
    Denton and oldmurph58 like this.

Sometimes we have to be merciful, and sometimes we have to be cold. Only you can determine which this situation warrants. Realize any intervention will not be brief, and you will be saddled with his problems until they are resolved. Is it worth the stress to you? It is hard to be cold, I know. But he is not your responsibility. I would contact his relatives, and place it in their hands. Your conscience is clear, without your involvement.
    omegabrock and oldmurph58 like this.

•  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links