Thank Goodness I Was Not A Member Of The "We" Scouts - Page 5

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thank Goodness I Was Not A Member Of The "We" Scouts

This is a discussion on Thank Goodness I Was Not A Member Of The "We" Scouts within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by fangfarrier My daughter (aged8) was a tomboy and asked to join Cubs rather than Brownies. I let her. She stayed the full ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Thank Goodness I Was Not A Member Of The "We" Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by fangfarrier View Post
    My daughter (aged8) was a tomboy and asked to join Cubs rather than Brownies. I let her. She stayed the full 2 1/2 years. She completed EVERY badge available, became senior sixer (head cub) hit the papers, got a personal letter of congratulations from the Chief Scout and even met the Queen. She refused to go onto Scouts, instead joining the Army cadet force.
    She camps, fishes, farms (and has previously) shot and is really outdoorsish.
    Now at 16 she’s fairly girly but the boyfriend has to measure up and keep up.
    Cubs did her no harm and she was always treated as a Cub not a girl in her pack.
    Sometimes it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Technology whilst it still exists.
    But why could she not have done that in the Girl Scouts? Girl Scouts can't camp, fish and shoot? That doesn't sound like empowered women to me. Why did she have to join 'The Boys' to develop those aspects? Are Girl Scout leaders simply not up to the task of guiding girls like your daughter? They're supposed to be forming young girls into women, but seems like that requires male leadership by their own and your assertions. What does that say about Girl Scout leadership vs Boy Scout leadership? Or male leadership vs female? It seems like they're saying that some girls can't become women unless at some point they're guided by a man. They must be pulling their feminist hair out.

When it suits, girls and women demand their own space, organizations, social and political groups (no men or boys allowed), but heaven forbid if boys and men do the same. Women get upset because they're not included and the men are branded as sexist. You wallow in double standards.

We have two daughters... one Tom-boy the other very very girly. They both enjoy fishing, camping and shooting because they were raised that way. They both also bake, sew and drive the boys crazy. My wife and I have provided guidance and experience as each one needed and requested based on their own tendencies and preferences. These organizations are driven by liberal agendas and the foul winds of social reform. There's no substitute for good active parenting.
    Medic33 and duncan1371 like this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Not everyone should be included in everything. Many people now days are so self absorbed, selfish and short sighted.

It's called BOY SCOUTS....wtf is confusing here?

Earth to humans...your brains are leaking out of your ears.
    pakrat, A Watchman and Medic33 like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    But why could she not have done that in the Girl Scouts? Girl Scouts can't camp, fish and shoot? That doesn't sound like empowered women to me. Why did she have to join 'The Boys' to develop those aspects? Are Girl Scout leaders simply not up to the task of guiding girls like your daughter? They're supposed to be forming young girls into women, but seems like that requires male leadership by their own and your assertions. What does that say about Girl Scout leadership vs Boy Scout leadership? Or male leadership vs female? It seems like they're saying that some girls can't become women unless at some point they're guided by a man. They must be pulling their feminist hair out.

When it suits, girls and women demand their own space, organizations, social and political groups (no men or boys allowed), but heaven forbid if boys and men do the same. Women get upset because they're not included and the men are branded as sexist. You wallow in double standards.

We have two daughters... one Tom-boy the other very very girly. They both enjoy fishing, camping and shooting because they were raised that way. They both also bake, sew and drive the boys crazy. My wife and I have provided guidance and experience as each one needed and requested based on their own tendencies and preferences. These organizations are driven by liberal agendas and the foul winds of social reform. There's no substitute for good active parenting.
    @pakrat , no, she could not have done that in the Brownies. But she could have learned to sew, make cards and sing. Mind you she did do that in Cubs too; but so much more too.
    Had both organisations offered equal enthusiasm and opportunities then I suppose she might have gone with her friends to Brownies too. They didn’t do she went to Cubs.
    I do have difficulty in accepting what you say. I have spent most of my life in the military as a Healthcare worker. 79% of my trade group was female. No one was treated differently. You had a role and you performed. I worked hard until I reached the top then retired. Now I work in a 50-50 mix of staff. And yet, despite this, I am a strong believer in roles for genders and a nuclear family, but not at the expense of experience and opportunity.
    You probably are not aware that in the U.K. during WWII it was the women who kept Britain going. When it falls apart again, and it will, my children will be equipped with knowledge and skills that the average Brit will never even know they don’t possess. But thank you for questioning my standards and parenting skills. If we don’t question, we don’t progress.

Regards

Fangfarrier

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Not everyone should be included in everything. Many people now days are so self absorbed, selfish and short sighted.

It's called BOY SCOUTS....wtf is confusing here?

Earth to humans...your brains are leaking out of your ears.
    @Ragnarök .

I’m from the U.K. We call it the Scout Association. It was set up by a chap called Baden-Powell with his sister. He based the organisation on a series of articles he wrote called “Scouting for Boys”. When he set it up his first troop was all male, his sister set up an all female equivalent. His idea was aimed at youth, not gender. We haven’t called our (original) organisation Boy Scouts, that was something another country set up in homage to the original.

Regards

Fangfarrier

Ragnarök likes this.

@pakrat , no, she could not have done that in the Brownies. But she could have learned to sew, make cards and sing. Mind you she did do that in Cubs too; but so much more too.
    This is exactly my point. Both organizations are in place to promote the healthy growth of a specific gendered youth, yet one offers more than the other. Why is it that the Brownies organization cannot expand their programs to offer the same range of experiences as the Cubs? Cubs sew, can't Brownies fish. It's just easier to let the Cub's organization do it. If there's no concerns about the Cubs being a homogeneous group, then just have one youth organization and stop gender separation all together.

This is typical of entitled groups today. If they want a particular situation, rather than do the work to develop it on their own, they push in, modify, demand, alter and impact someone else's under the banner of equality, empowerment or opportunity. These groups are usually the first to demand their own separate and exclusive space, though.

I'm glad your daughter had the experiences she craved. I'm disappointed that the Brownies are not up to the challenge.
    Medic33 and duncan1371 like this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Went to the Winn Dixie to pick up some Bourbon and a Ribeye. After exiting the store I passed a BSA Tent where the young scouts were raising money. 2 Scouts and 2 Mommy's were present at the booth, No Daddy's were present, No Scoutmaster's either. The Scouts looked like wussies and the Mommy's were fat.

They asked me if I would donate to the BSA. (One of the Mommy's, not the Scouts). I looked at her and said "No, I would not donate. The BSA has made some bad decisions over the past few years."

She looked incredulous and asked me "What bad decisions?"

I replied, "Allowing Fags and Females in".

One of the wussy scouts perked up and asked me if I would donate. I asked him if he could recite the pledge. He said Yes. I said, go ahead and cite it.

He coudn't, so I shook my head and walked away.

Wussy boys, Fat Mommy's and Absentee Daddy's and Scoutmaster's...not a good recipe for success of the BSA.

@Ragnarök .

I’m from the U.K. We call it the Scout Association. It was set up by a chap called Baden-Powell with his sister. He based the organisation on a series of articles he wrote called “Scouting for Boys”. When he set it up his first troop was all male, his sister set up an all female equivalent. His idea was aimed at youth, not gender. We haven’t called our (original) organisation Boy Scouts, that was something another country set up in homage to the original.

Regards

Fangfarrier

I am supportive of having organizations where males and females are included. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a great thing.

There is something wrong with allowing people who feel like they have a right to change a long tradition to change that tradition based off of their beliefs.
    fangfarrier and A Watchman like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Wussy boys, Fat Mommy's and Absentee Daddy's and Scoutmaster's...not a good recipe for success of the BSA.
    Assuming you're right in your assessment of the situation, (and your reasoning is fallacious) and there are mothers leading scouts because there are no men involved, it's better for the mothers to step up and create a scout troop where there was none than for there to be no men and no scout troop.

That's called doing the best you can with what you have, and overcoming obstacles. It's the American way, and a thing to be proud of.

Enjoy your dime.
    Black Lives Matter. Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

There is something wrong with allowing people who feel like they have a right to change a long tradition to change that tradition based off of their beliefs.
    What is it?
    Black Lives Matter. Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Thank Goodness I Was Not A Member Of The "We" Scouts

I am supportive of having organizations where males and females are included. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a great thing.

Wise words Ragnarök.
    I’m a simple person. If you are a way because of the fact that was how you were born - Black/White, Male/Female, Abled/Disabled - I believe you should be respected for who you are. Where I have the problem is where you are what you are by choice- Vegan, a particular religion or persuasion etc. If it is your choice it is your business and is not mine. I don’t want to hear about it and I definitely don’t want to alter my life to accommodate it. I may not agree with it but I won’t wish you any harm or malice. Live your life in your own privacy.

Told you I was simple.

Fangfarrier

Last edited by fangfarrier; 10-14-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links