Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Pets and Prepping

8K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  James L 
#1 ·
How many people plan on bringing their pet with them if something were to happen/ My guess would be most.. Where we are, we are lucky enough to have enough food to feed our dogs and even have enough left for our cats. We have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs (heelers). They work cows for us so they earn their keep as far as I'm concerned. Them being loyal is just a benefit. I can be in the tractor,truck, 4 wheeler or just out fixing fence and my female blue heeler is with me. She is ALWAYS happy to be there and shows unconditional love. Same for our male red heeler. He is usually with my fiance,even when she is hiking. Even though she carries a .45, I know our red heeler is there with her. That eases my mind.

I hear people say that they wont bring animals with them so they don't have to feed them. I feel sorry for those people. Pets show unconditional love! I am lucky enough to be able to bring mine to work with me. Hell, I talk to her more than most people and she usually knows what I am talkin about! So anyone that don't want to have enough preps for their animals just don't get it...

#2 ·
We have two dogs now and they have their shelves in the pantry just like ours. Mrs Inor actually spent about 3 months studying up on their nutritional needs and experimenting with different recipes for homemade kibble that would satisfy their needs and getting it right so they would eat it. If we were in a full-blown social meltdown like Egypt or Libya, I would keep our dogs and take in two more. Having a couple extra alarms is never a bad thing.

#5 ·
Same here. They work cows and are our alarms. We have a few other alarms but if someone got by those and our dogs. We DESERVE to get our asses handed to us. Plus, you NEVER have to worry about your dogs screwing you over! Ours are part of the family and treated as such. I spend a major part of my day in my vehicle with my female and she is great company.. I see it all the time where people say they don't want animals witht hem because they don't want to have to feed them. We are not those people I guess. We are also lucky enough to be able to raise enough food to feed them too. Even if we weren't, I would make sure we prepped enough for them...

#8 · (Edited)
Our dogs are family. Period. We have three and I always have at least 100# of their food on hand along with six moths of heart worm pills. If we have to make a run for it, they're coming with. In fact, my recent car purchase took them into account. While I really wanted a Challenger (don't judge me - lol) I got an Outback with plenty of room for dogs and gear!

#9 ·
We have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited 4x4. Most times out back seats are folded down and our dogs are int he back. They are ALWAYS watchin out the windows making sure there are no deer or cows about to attack..lol I would take our dogs over MOST people... They are part of the family and treated as such. Hell, they even know how to spell..lol

#12 ·
I wanted to bring Diamond, but we are scheduled for Akansas vacation after the gathering, so I will probably have to have a trusted friend take care of her.
My sisiter was bitching about "the dog" at my house, and I told her, that dog lives here, if you dont like it, dont come over.
My preps include medicine for her, but I havent stocked up on food.

#15 ·
We are lucky. Our friends own a feed store and usually have at least 3-4 pallets of different kinds of high protein dog food on hand. So several thousand pounds of dog food plus the animals we butcher. Or pets should be ok for some time. We are the exception and NOT the rule. If you care about your animals, you will start preparing for them as much as you do yourself!...

#16 ·
We have several motion detectors that cover a range that most people would be jealous of. On top of that we have our dogs. They are not fond of other people and our female is 'skittish" But she is loyal, gives us unconditional love and lets us know when someone is around.

Our dogs might not be watch dogs but earn their keep by letting us know if someone is around. Even better, they show us unconditional love. To me, that is what earns then their food.

I have heard it many times and even on this board. I have seen people say they no intention of providing for their pets and have even seen people say pets are not worth it.

Personally, i would rather see our heelers survive before some people I trust our dogs with my families life!! Anyone that doesn't have a pet they trust, i truly feel sorry for!

#17 ·
Hell no. I won't be hauling any pets around, or feeding any pets post SHTF. I've gotten to the point that I actively dislike most dogs. Depending on how bad things were to get I might round up a few strays and keep them penned up for a bit of post-apocalyptic protein, but, otherwise every dog in my area of operations will be taking a dirt nap.

#18 ·
When I got home the day I bought the RAV4 the rear seats were folded down & haven't been up since. Now a thick rubber mat back there for them. Usually just two get to go for a ride at a time.

BTW, we have a separate trauma kit just for the dogs.

The different breeds have different nutritional needs.

#22 ·
Dogs are still animals. People who diefy or hold the. To a higher standard are still fools. My sister holds horses to god status she is a fool. People in India hold cows to god status while we eat them at drive through they are fools. The Egyptian s had the cat maybe I will hold up the chipmunk. Or I will make a stew with them. It makes no sense. You are making decisions based on emotion. You are a fool.

#25 ·
Using your argument genius, if the SHTF and I see YOU, I will use you for food. You're just an animal, and of very little use. A horse would be much more use then you if the SHTF. Dogs would be of much more use. There is a reason that they were domesticated in the first place. Still calling names huh? Yep, animals have more class.

#28 ·
We'll bringing this back around. I can't imagine leaving my terriers behind in any circumstance. They are part of our family (pack). Yes what they bring is mostly intangible, but the day I give up my empathy is the day I have too much in common with the basest of our society. I refuse to become a self centered, all about me, feel good for the moment, selfish mess.

#29 ·
We rotate our dogs food,we always have 75-100 lbs. we are not gonna bail unless absolutely necessary.we live in an area that is a place that a lot of us will not leave shtf,pretty rural,food like fish and game and some veggies around.let the sheep leave,more for us.

#31 ·
Luckily where we are, we are able to provide our own dog food if we needed. Our dogs are usually runnin around outside with a deer leg in their mouths. They know to drop them before they come in though..lol

Our are working dogs and they are great alarms. They work more cows than a man can. To me, that is more important than a meal or 2 from them.. If it has gone downhill so bad we have to eat our own dogs. ANY of us, there is no hope anyway! And anyone that plans to eat their dogs. Haven't prepared enough!

#32 ·
For dog owners, being able to keep your dogs with you in a post SHTF situation, can help with moral and a sense of normalcy in what could be a very un-normal world. There is the likelihood of packs of once domesticated dogs running wild and being a danger to us all. In that case, they're no different from coyotes, wolves, gangs, or zombies. Some dogs will be of much use to their families, some will not. My mini dachshund will have very little value to my family other than a yappy bark, but she's a part of our family. We'll do whatever we can to keep her with us and healthy. I will not however endanger my wife or my son in order to keep her with us. It would be a tough choice to loose her and be much harder on my son than anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.