Extreme Rural Internet
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Extreme Rural Internet

This is a discussion on Extreme Rural Internet within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Bad and I were sitting here enjoying a leisurely Sunday morning surfing the internet and I made the comment that people sure liked to post ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Extreme Rural Internet

Extreme Rural Internet

Bad and I were sitting here enjoying a leisurely Sunday morning surfing the internet and I made the comment that people sure liked to post links to videos for folks as if everyone has all the unlimited bandwidth in the world to use in order to watch them. It's really hard to get into a thread and join the conversation when somebody says, "YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THIS VIDEO!" and you can't watch it because your Internet provider won't give you the bandwidth to open and download it without gobbling up your monthly gigabyte allotment.

We live in an rural area by choice. It has its benefits. We do not have to bug out. We bug in. We know our neighbors. We have the ability to grow and produce our own food should the need arise. We don't have to worry too much about roving bands of marauders visiting us should TSHTF.

BUT. Our Internet borderline sux. We have three options. US Cellular modem. It works. IF you stand in a window on outside away from the metal siding on our house. Even the phone is iffy. I'm always glad when warm weather returns so I can go out on the deck to make a call without fear of the signal getting dropped. In the winter I like to tell folks just to email me if they want to get in touch. DISH Internet. Don't like those folks, pure and simple. Some may have nothing but praise for DISH but I could write a book or better yet do a comedy routine about my experiences with these numb skulls. Or Hughesnet which is what we have settled for. So far, it hasn't been too bad. I say too bad because once we use up our ten gig allotment that we are given each month (sorta like Oliver holding up his empty dish and asking "May I have some more, please?"), our Internet speed slows down considerably.. We have found out that it doesn't take much to use up that 10g serving. Watch some YouTube movies, watch some news feeds, click on links and before you know it, the bowl is empty and you are begging for more speed only to be told that you may have more after the end of the current billing period.

I've spent countless hours on the phone (dropping the signal regularly) hunting for a provider with unlimited bandwidth only to be told that we have the three choices mentioned above.

Frustrating? You bet, especially when you enjoy the Internet and what it has to offer over TV. (Another totally different rant. We get a whole 3 stations on a good day where we are and we are usually 2 above what our neighbors can get without cable or dish)

So I know some of you on the forum live rural like we do and probably have the same challenges. How do you deal with it? If you live in a metro area with 29$ a month unlimited internet/download HULU, YouTube, Netflix, The Blaze TV, etc, I hate you....not really but you all have us rural folks at a disadvantage here. Think kindly about us the next time you post a link to a video that runs 30 minutes and realize that not everybody can watch it. Maybe give a little synopsis of what the video is about that would help us internet challenged individuals join in.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I had Huges net it was expensive but worked , after a year they cut the band width then wanted double the cost to give some back.
    Switch to Netwurx they run a service wifi off water towers it work great. For a year then it started to slow down now not much better than a phone line. When ask about it nothing but excuses. If you don't live in the city your are just screwed.
    Because we are not a minority community the feds will not force the phone company to update the service to at least DSL .
    If we were a minority area they would.
    spokes likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Honestly I envy you, I would much rather have a slow internet and live in the sticks than have the high speed interwebs and live in the city. When we purchased our house a few years ago we had a choice (Not really a choice but I would like to think so) move to the country or stay in the city. Well my Wife does not drive so that would have made things very difficult. I would have had no problem making the commute every day but it would have left my Wife kinda stuck.

Some day many years from now when I get to retire we have plans now to move out into the country but for the time being still stuck in the city. So from my point of view I would totally give up in a heart beat the interwebs to live out in the country. just my 2 cents.
    spokes and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the different POV Wesley762. Yes, we are very blessed and what you said does put things in a different perspective.

That was one of the things I inquired about when talking to the folks at Hughes, Smitty. They assured me that they had launched a new satellite last year and their service had improved 100%. So far they have lived up to that part of the service.
    Slippy likes this.

Cable stops 3/4 mile from me. I'm lucking $29 for hi speed cable,my friend down the street has the wireless options or the dreaded dialup. The phone lines have yet to be updated like the Pre-POTUS campaigned on in '08

Good thread spokes, we had some issues but for the most part HughesNet works pretty well for us. We did upgrade our router and it made a big difference.
    spokes likes this.

The Good Cop

Cable TV does not come this far out. We were paying over $60 a month for Dish TV just for the basic plus "local" stations. We ditched the Dish, we now just have a TV antenna that gets one station from the city. We just watch news and weather on it. I bought a cheap Roku thing, but movies and regular TV do not interest me at all and it barely is used, although some apps get me things like Dragnet from the 1950's, and the Smithsonian channel is cool.
    Cell phone is iffy out here, and anyway the wife and I just have AT&T Go Phones - pay as you go type deal.
    We have a landline phone, limited to just local calls. This is kept for internet access or if there is no cell service after a hurricane. Windstream is our phone company and they have provided a wifi modem/router (whatever the heck it's called). I have not found this set up to have any draw backs. I know nothing about gigabites or any of that stuff. I can access sites like this just fine and can watch you tube OK.
    Modern technology and electronic gadgets are just not necessesary to us - we are both old enough to remember times when TV was brand new and not everyone even had one, and most household phones were on party lines.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 04-27-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Slippy, spokes and dwight55 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

What scam Huges nets pulls is they offer a limited amount of bandwidth use over 24 hours as you approach the limit it slows down until it won't open a page. Then it takes darn near 24 hours to get anything worth while back. Updates to your virus software and computer can often wipe that darn near out. After a while they tell you that an upgrade will fix the they bill you double but not a big difference .
    Mention Huges net around here is a bad word they ripped so many off.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    What scam Huges nets pulls is they offer a limited amount of bandwidth use over 24 hours as you approach the limit it slows down until it won't open a page. Then it takes darn near 24 hours to get anything worth while back. Updates to your virus software and computer can often wipe that darn near out. After a while they tell you that an upgrade will fix the they bill you double but not a big difference .
    Mention Huges net around here is a bad word they ripped so many off.
    Our plan is 10gig/month. I don't remember anyone mentioning a 24 hour limit. But once you reach that 10gig limit it's like DSL. Painfully slow.

We had the virus app for one month free, Got on line and cancelled it before one month was up as we use Linux. I'm with Hughes as Rhett Butler was to Scarlett O'Hara. I'm riding it with loose reins but with curb bit and spurs....just incase. My trust level with providers is almost non existant. but it is better than nothing. We learned really fast not to have anything loaded that automatically reloads-Fox news, etc. And while we enjoy watching on line videos, we have given up that luxury and opted for email/forum/browsing. We also get up around 5-6 AM during 'free gig' hours and try to do all our news and video links before 8 AM when we revert back to peak hours.

Man, they have us trained REALLY good when it comes to jumping through their hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Cable TV does not come this far out. ...... we now just have a TV antenna that gets one station from the city. We just watch news and weather on it. We have a landline phone, ............Modern technology and electronic gadgets are just not necessesary to us - we are both old enough to remember times when TV was brand new and not everyone even had one, and most household phones were on party lines.
    Like RPD, . . . our first phone in the country, . . . 3 party line, . . . we got the long ring, . . . phone number was 282.

TV was a 10 inch B&W, . . . stage coach was only 2 inches tall.

Now, . . . still in the boonies, . . . we have a Sony 43 inch flat screen on which I watch a total of about 3 1/2 to 5 hours each week, . . . unless Pittsburgh is whooping up on Cleveland or Cincy, . . . or Green Bay is whooping up on Minn / Detroit / or Chicago. Those I watch.

Cell phone is actually not bad, . . . Verizon works here.

But I can remember using the out house, . . . getting the milk out of the spring, . . . getting 'taters from the cellar dug out of the side of the hill, . . . huckleberries, . . . mountain tea, . . . and the single bulb hanging in the middle of the room with a white cotton pull string.

I do enjoy a good Youtube, . . . or other video, . . . and like the OP, . . . wish I had bandwidth for all of them. I actually get far more hours on my 22 inch computer monitor than the 43 inch Sony, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links