The Best All Around Dog - Page 4

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Best All Around Dog

This is a discussion on The Best All Around Dog within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; The wife and I have always had dogs, decades of dogs. All were/are rescues. From the pound, from the side of the road - what ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: The Best All Around Dog

The Good Cop

The wife and I have always had dogs, decades of dogs. All were/are rescues. From the pound, from the side of the road - what we call ditch dogs.
    Rescued dogs make some of the most loyal companions.
    We have had as many as 8 at one time, now we are holding the line at 5.
    A chocolate lab who was "dumped" as a puppy, a black lab from an impossible home situation, a boxer who was a ditch dog that came within inches of being run over by a fully loaded log truck right in front of my wife, a border collie/hound mix from Death Row, and a long haired possible chow/hound mix also from Death Row.
    Are any ferocious attack or guard dogs? No. But they are all very attuned to something inside the perimeter. The FNG's go off over the wild rabbits or the occasional armadillo, but the others teach them to only alert to bigger things.
    And that is precisely their job, alert the Big Dog (me) when something's not right.

The chickens are pretty good about raising a ruckus when danger is about, also.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Keep in mind many of the dogs discussed here are work dogs. They need & want to work and need room to roam. Such dogs not exercised daily & given a task to do, can become destructive. That is why you can find so many lab rescue organizations across the country because people want them for their good attributes yet don't have the space or the time to give them what they require. My black lab, as a youngster, would dig huge trenches in the back yard. He would dig up roots that were two inches in diameter and maybe 2 feet long. Then he would proudly bring it into the house to show off his feat. As an adult, he knows when it is time to go down to the animals morning & afternoon. If you don't take him for any reason, he freaks out. He understands English too. Some mornings I take him early before leaving for work, other mornings my wife takes him later. So when I get dressed early & obviously heading out, he assumes he is going with me & gets all excited. All I have to say is momma is gonna take you & he will lay back down & patiently wait. Smart dog.

Not saying you living in an apartment can't properly provide what a work dog needs. Just saying many folks, no matter where they live, want this type of dog & don't realize the damage they will do when bored. Work dogs need to work.
    I try to suppress this truth...if I had land I would have a pack of little beasties. We go on walks every day and they love it when we go camping.
    bigwheel likes this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Labs are highly recommended. Just make sure they arent stuck in a small yard or house. They need to get out and run/walk often..
    They are loyal, and will protect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    My experience with Chihuahuas is they often pick one person in a household to bond to and then become VERY protective of that person. My old Bella Shoebutton, who I miss greatly picked me. She always sat in my lap to protect me. She loved everyone in the house but if anyone came at me quick or raised their hand like they were going to hit me, she was on them like white on rice. One of my sons just got one & it bonded with him same way.
    Mine does the same thing. Its funny watching him "guard" me from other people, he takes himself so seriously

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Good watch dog you got there. We are currently in the Shitz-poo bizness. He is a companion dog. He wakes up when we do. lol. Dont he would hear a burglar unless they rang the door bell. That gets him in a rage to hear that. Meant to add on some of the folks comments on big work breed dogs..insurance companies dont like em. We had to pretend to give the Rotty away before we could buy home insurance. Guess they have paid out a lot of dog bite claims. Finally found a company that did not nag about it.
    He is a good watch dog. He sounds down right vicious but when people come over he retreats to wherever I'm at and just barks very loudly. Just like @rice paddy daddy 's pack his job is to alert the big dogs when something isn't right and he's good at that job.
    rice paddy daddy and bigwheel like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Diitos to Redneck on the cazy chewawas bonding with one person. We had a bunch not too long back. None of them liked me..lol. But loved my wife and Mama in Law. It did not seem fair. I got bit a lot.
    Redneck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    I, too, am of the Labrador persuasion, a long-time member of the The Labrador Retriever Benevolent Society. When I hunted a lot, a Lab was my best buddy. Ol' Ace. He'd find ducks I didn't even know I'd shot. Bring back a piano if you could throw it out onto the lake. Eight years after he died, I finally got another dog, a Lab/Rott mix. By then I did not hunt so much, and did not train him to retrieve, as I did not want a stick dog big enough to bring you eight foot two-by-fours to crack your shins with as he begs you to throw for him. A sweet dog, Cody was my co-therapist for years of home visits to the seriously and persistently mentally ill (psychotic, mood, and personality disorders, bad ones). Patients loved him and he really got off on being there for them, too (pet me, pet, me, all day, I can handle it). That said, when in his pickup truck, car, or at home, he had a particular way of looking sideways at strangers and emitting a "Please step away from the vehicle now" woof that was very effective (he topped out at 140 pounds). Now, out here in the desert, Scooter (yet another Lab mix) is my EWS, constant pal, foot warmer, and self-propelled, mobile dish washer. She's pretty good at chasing off F-18s and helicopters when they flow over low, too. Hehehe, they never stop, and Scoots comes back swaggering and sauntering, growling, "Huh, they ain't so tough, look at em go, the chickens". At less than a year old (years ago), having never seen a cat before, she nursed two kittens to adult-teeth before weaning them off. Now, she has some identity issues, and the cats are totally messed up as they think they are dogs, go on hikes with us, almost bark. It's something to see, the dog herding cats through the sage and cactus.

Forgot to mention about ol' Cody, the co-dependent co-therapist dog. He hated UPS trucks and drivers. For some reason they just drove him nuts, barking and snarling and puffed up to where he looked like 200 pounds of I'm-gonna-eat-you-alive-right now. I think it was the shorts.
    bigwheel likes this.

The big Rot was very prejudicial against dark skin folks. Not sure what caused that. He was black himself. Nearly tore off the storm door trying to get to a pesky paper hanger one time. The guy must have been looking for something to steal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links