Robert E Heinlein
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Robert E Heinlein

This is a discussion on Robert E Heinlein within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; My favorite author from 50 years ago, the man is better than Ayne Rand for quotes imo, I was just going over some I recently ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Robert E Heinlein

Robert E Heinlein

My favorite author from 50 years ago, the man is better than Ayne Rand for quotes imo, I was just going over some I recently found and here is a very pointed one

“Secrecy is the keystone to all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy and censorship. When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked in this fashion; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, whose mind is free. No, not the rack nor the atomic bomb, not anything. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
    rebroome and Renec like this.
    NRA Patron Member

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
    NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

“The America of my time line is a laboratory example of what can happen to democracies, what has eventually happened to all perfect democracies throughout all histories. A perfect democracy, a ‘warm body’ democracy in which every adult may vote and all votes count equally, has no internal feedback for self-correction. It depends solely on the wisdom and self-restraint of citizens… which is opposed by the folly and lack of self-restraint of other citizens. What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it… which for the majority translates as ‘Bread and Circuses.’

‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    rebroome and Just Sayin' like this.
    NRA Patron Member

Well at least the previous poster wasn't on your scab list.

“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    SquirrelBait, Renec and rebroome like this.
    NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
    ^^^ This! RAH was one the greatest authors ever, IMHO. His stories remain timeless.

I haven't read any Heinlein in years. I did enjoy it though

Quote Originally Posted by retired guard View Post
    Well at least the previous poster wasn't on your scab list.
    I think 2/3rds of us have made that list.

Heinlein was pure genius, there is a religion based on one of his books stranger in a strange land

i as so excited when i heard they were making starship troopers into a movie. then i went and seen it. if ever the term the movie didnt do the book justice that was it. i as so let down

edited because i spelled genius wrong lol
    Montana Rancher likes this.

Great Author! By the way inceptor, glad to see the Eagle back, MaGoo was really throwing me. lol
    Hidden Content Semper Fidelis Saepius Exertus Frater Infinitas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links