When all your plans are now for nothing...

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on When all your plans are now for nothing... within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Saturday morning a dear friend suffered a massive brain aneurism for which there was no recovery. He was taken off life support yesterday and passed ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: When all your plans are now for nothing...

Saturday morning a dear friend suffered a massive brain aneurism for which there was no recovery. He was taken off life support yesterday and passed away within a few last precious breaths, but had really left us hours before.

Left now is my friend Bev, his wife of 40 some years. Both long time preppers since the 70's. All of their plans and preps are now hers only and she is not just feeling over whelmed with her husbands death, but also what to do now. She is alone on an 80 acre farm and set up with enough food to last several years and no reason to keep on prepping. She asked me yesterday, why continue when she has enough to last and can do nothing by herself to protect what she has if someone wants to take it?

How do you answer that? What would you do if in a similar situation? What happens if you loose part of your team and you have no other way to survive on your own?
    shotlady and Denton like this.

It is hard to say what I would do, since it is hard to fathom unless you are actually in that situation. I couldn't begin to understand that level of pain and despair. The only thing that I can think to do is, offer to help. Take her in, support her, and team up with her. It could be mutually beneficial. You will both gain a trusted ally in the event of a catastrophe, and you can give her the emotional support that she needs.

My heart goes out to you, and your friend.
    shotlady and longrider like this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

I am sorry for the loss and the hurt that your friend is going through. How do you answer her questions? You don't at least not right away. I guess it has been a few years but I have realized that trying to answer the questions of people who have recently lost loved ones is not very productive. For me what is productive is just doing or talking about the things that you used to do or talk about before the loss. I hope this helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

When God close one door he always opens another.

Sorry for the lose of your friend.
    shotlady likes this.

There is no right answer at this time. I'm sorry for your friends loss.
    shotlady likes this.

This is no place in the world for older people to be alone. 80 acres? We are about to see viable, working young couples with infants going homeless and starving. By the time she has caught her breath again it will only be closer or on. She's got a line....and, it will not be looking to people who can't seem to make it. It will be looking at people who were making it, stable, positive and fine. I think when she feels able, she has a truly great opportunity to be a light and refuge that would be some help and comfort to her.
    But it has to happen on it's own and it has to be considered (as in who they are) because the elderly are a target now. I wouldn't have recommended the thought except for the streets about to be filled with "regular" people, helpless and fema on the hunt. (I literally mean on the hunt)

I picked two couples, positive and a child under a year. Watched, visited. Helped a time or two along the way. Couple years later we all still have our own homes, but we all have two other homes to go to. Matter of time....

I am sorry for your loss of a friend, and the loss of your friend's husband. Be there, be as much comfort as you can, after the grief passes some, then perhaps discuss what she should do next.

my advice, little steeps...

just be there as it's a time of morning not a time to worry about preps

it may be a thought to come up with a solution for this, dose she have family that will help?? as 80a is a lot of work
    shotlady likes this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

My condolences. I assume that they have no children or they are far away or don't agree with prepping. If there are children, she needs to have a heart to heart talk. My sister lost her husband of 38 years some time ago. It took her a while to get out of the house and try dating, but... Let's say it didn't work out very well. She now is a bit of a recluse and the farm is going to hell. She rents the land out to another farmer so she get a little money that way. I wish she would get rid of the place before it completely falls apart around her. Some people can move on, some can't and don't.
    shotlady likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links