Caltrop Antipersonal Devise
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Caltrop Antipersonal Devise within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Here is good cheap ancient way to provide anti personnel defenses. In the picture is a Caltrop. These were used all the way into middle ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By MaterielGeneral
  • 1 Post By Camel923
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Caltrop Antipersonal Devise

Here is good cheap ancient way to provide anti personnel defenses. In the picture is a Caltrop. These were used all the way into middle ages and the Ninja in feudal Japan used them as well. No matter how you throw them a point will always stick up. Some wheres I posted a video on how to make these but I will post the YouTube link as well on this thread.

A buddy that I was in the national guard with and worked at the prison together with are going to make a good amount of these and put into storage until needed. This was our first prototype. Were going to make some out of re bar for vehicle stopping. Not a lot of those will be needed I am guessing. The normal size for antipersonnel will be good for its intended purposes but they are good for depressions that an attacker could hide in as a hasty attack position or other areas that you want to deny an attacker.

Caltrop Antipersonal Devise-caltrop.jpg

Caltrop Antipersonal Devise-caltrop-2.jpg
    Camel923, Toefoot, Hemi45 and 1 others like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Great concept for a perimeter.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

To stop Vehicles you want to use hole strong tube. Often referred to as Jacks now days . tool used by unions to flat tires of those that crossed picket lines.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If a caltrop is to be effective the balance when welding is critical. I have about 8 dozen that I bought from Amazon.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    If a caltrop is to be effective the balance when welding is critical. I have about 8 dozen that I bought from Amazon.
    The Caltrop in the picture on my laptop lands point up every time and we just threw it together playing around wanting a prototype. These nails are from a two by four that I pulled out. I bought some 4 or 4.5" nails(forgot off the top of my head) that I am cutting off the heads as I get time. They are galvanized which I guess is good as they will last longer in the elements but I kind of wanted regular so they would rust. Rust = tetanus when it is SHTF/WROL. I don't remember what they are called but I also got those nails that are twisted kind of like a screw. I figured those ones will hurt when you pull them out. Yeah, I know I can be evil. Before anyone comments that galvanized will give off gasses when welded we know and safety precautions will be made.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    To stop Vehicles you want to use hole strong tube. Often referred to as Jacks now days . tool used by unions to flat tires of those that crossed picket lines.
    I know about it should be hollow for an immediate blow out but it would be to much of a pain and time consuming. All of this is on a budget. Caltrops for a vehicle/rebar would be more of a preventive maintenance issue. Deployed at a distance and by the time the vehicles could get to our area the tires would be flat or have some kind of failure. Something is better than nothing I guess what it comes down to it.
    Last edited by MaterielGeneral; 06-28-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    I know about it should be hollow for an immediate blow out but it would be to much of a pain and time consuming. All of this is on a budget. Caltrops for a vehicle/rebar would be more of a preventive maintenance issue. Deployed at a distance and by the time the vehicles could get to our area the tires would be flat or have some kind of failure. Something is better than nothing I guess what it comes down to.
    I have heard from a person who knew a guy that claimed steel brake lines then sharpen to a point work. Also nails with heads cut off bent then braised or welded work real good. He may have mention that sling shots can be used to deploy them in areas you may not wish or can not walk in.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Sponsored Links