Different levels of prepping
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Different levels of prepping within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Different levels of prepping . I for one hope that when SHTF if does it is short lived. Most of my prepping is more along ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Different levels of prepping

Different levels of prepping .
    I for one hope that when SHTF if does it is short lived. Most of my prepping is more along the lines of a natural or man made disaster . Example the water thing we just saw, some of the storms we have seen.
    Short term: 1 week or so no electric service goods and services not available or very short supply. The chance of it happen are not to far fetched. If that were to happen our stored supplies , smart use of generators and wood along with 500 gallon of LP would ensure we would coast right through it. Not to hard to prepare for something like that. Anyone could do it.
    Major disruption of life as we know it: One that goes on for months. Again for us it would not be hard to get by. We would have very limited generator use and burn a lot more wood for heat. We would make it trough the winter with ease and eat well.
    The steps need for this level get a bit more involved . Larger amount of store food, better planning for use of what you do have for fuel ect. But still not an impossible task for most if they set their mind to it. This is also the time security is going to play a big role.
    Generation lost: The big one S really hits the fan hard. The damage done is so bad that the current generation will not live to see things recover.
    This is the one that will require major life changes not just prepping. The will be no Electric coming back for us we will have to go back to a way of life that we have never seen .
    I betting that while some of us work to be ready for the worst most of us could handle the first two.
    BamaBoy101 and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Yep I'd agree with that assessment. I'm still at level 1, prepared for a short term event whether it be natural or man made. I feel this is the most likely scenario for us and has happened here a few times already. Generally speaking our power is back on within 24hrs even with the big storms we got hit with it was out less than 48hrs. Not to say we couldn't see an event that lasts longer, I just don't have the room to store preps for that type of event nor the funds to put into it quite honestly. Basically I feel that in a longer term SHTF scenario skills will play a more vital role than stores. I do need to start considering a couple of small solar panels for charging phones and running small electrical devices.

-Infidel

Senior Member R.I.P.

Actually can be looking at different foods for the different levels. Your level 1 can be foods in the frig, freezer, & pantry as well as bottled water but still need means to cook the foods.

My level 2 & 3 are the same with dry goods & stuff I have canned. I've enough LP gas to cook for months. Rain catch & storage system will have plenty of water even after running out of fuel for the generator for the well pump.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

yea I wish I never see point 3 in my lifetime, but even tho my preps are amateurish to you guys prepared for it, research and practice of lost pre industrial age arts I believe is more important than anything else... (again amateur level) so I really wish, and pray we never see that in out lifetimes
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

We gave a lot of thought to power sources. Gas, diesel. LP wind solar ect . The more we worked on it the more convinced we were that all long term plan need to include living with out it. You can only store so much for so long.
    Living here in the past we have had 3 day power outages due to weather. We had a 1 day one this year. The 1 day for some people was a serious event.
    The had major losses due to pipe breaking ,no heat food loss ect. If life fell apart for the that fast in 1 day imagine what a week would be like in below zero weather for them.
    Here a fire was started right away. Generators were moved out ready for use if needed. 3 hours into outage the generators were turned on to power refrigerator and freezers then turned back off . They were not needed for lights or heat . Beds were made with fleece sheets and prepared for a long night if it stayed out.
    I do want to build an enclosed area for the generators to keep them warm they can be hard to start in 20 below. Also looking into a larger LP power one.
    With 500 gallons of LP on sight it might make sense to go that route. I want a 1000 gallon tank but there are regulation to deal with.
    If we want more threads on prepping then we need to relate how we are doing it and the results. What worked what did not.
    Right now the room that will grow food and starts early seeds is full of flowers but it can be converted quick. Winter is the big issue for us here.
    We can grow all the food we need with ease Once it is over.
    We have an inspiration a relative that is 98 years old and still going strong her mind is still sharp. She lived here with no power. She still lives on the same land she was born on. At 98 she still feeds the wood fire. She is proof we can do it.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 01-16-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Senior Member R.I.P.

For long term, those that can scratch cook will have a huge advantage. Especially baked items & things like pan bread, pancakes, waffles, etc.

When you realize that a SHTF scenario is going to be longer than your stores, you have to shift your mindset away from the term "prepper."

It is mathematically impossible to prep for the worst case scenario. It's a simple fact. If you live long enough, you will out live your preps no matter how much you have stored.

When that happens, you need to be ready to hit the ground running with gardening, hunting, livestock, and other methods of food gathering.

These are important areas too. Don't neglect them in your preps. If you don't already, start hunting or fishing. Start a crisis garden. Brush up on wild edibles...

Sure. This information won't help you in a nuclear fallout scenario, but in that case, food is likely your last priority.

Prepping is not just about supplies. It covers skills also both learning new ones and bring others in with them. I am not a blacksmith and never will be.
    But we have two in our group that have the skills.
    Inor likes this.

Well I have been at this for 20 + years and my father before me. I have enough that my family could survive for about 8 years except for water. Interesting assessment....
    Slippy likes this.
    I am here to teach what I know and learn what I can everyday. When one assumes he knows everything then he has proven himself a fool.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Every year you should be doing alittle gardening even if its just some tomatoes & bell peppers in some buckets. And as long as you aren't renting, get some fruit & nut trees in the ground.
    kevincali likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links