Chimney Fire - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Chimney Fire

This is a discussion on Chimney Fire within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Indie, when we put the stove, I built, into the "cabin" up in NE Washington we installed a triple wall pipe because it had to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Chimney Fire

Indie, when we put the stove, I built, into the "cabin" up in NE Washington we installed a triple wall pipe because it had to go through the loft floor and the roof. We knew that we were going to burn the fires slow because it was easy to get the cabin over 90F with a small fire and the stove was made to shut the air off completely if we wanted to. We have not had a problem - other than keeping the temp down to 80F. Even using "squaw wood" it heats the place up to where I have to go outside to cool off. The stove is only 12" wide by 15" high and 15" deep. The cabin is only 400 sq. ft. and it is well insulated so we could probably heat it most of the time with a stove half that size. There is a period in the winter that the temps outside drop to -30F and lower and the little stove does great for that two weeks.

indie likes this.

Super Moderator

We always used to keep a door open in the kitchen where the stove is because it keeps things so hot. I don't now because of the kids, but the kitchen is not a place we spend much time in the winter!

Is that the cabin your brother lives in now?

Quote Originally Posted by indie View Post
    We always used to keep a door open in the kitchen where the stove is because it keeps things so hot. I don't now because of the kids, but the kitchen is not a place we spend much time in the winter!

Is that the cabin your brother lives in now?

Yes, that's the one. we call it a cabin but it is a stick built modified "A" frame. It was originally designed to be the storage shed for when we built the real homes. The problems with the local religious zealots ended that line of thinking. My brother stays in it year round - unless he comes down to spend some time at our new digs. 5000 feet above sea level means about a 30 day growing season but the hunting is good.

indie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Chimney maintenance is very important due to the facts regarding chimney fires. It is very crucial to have your system cleaned regularly for hazard free operation of the chimney or fireplace.

I can't even wrap my head around this. As a kid in Texas we only had fires maybe once a week - usually on the weekend and only for two months out of the year. Never once had to clean a chimney and never had a fire that we knew about.

Is that because of the low volume? Is that because we had stone chimneys? Why is this such an issue up north but not in the south?
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    I can't even wrap my head around this. As a kid in Texas we only had fires maybe once a week - usually on the weekend and only for two months out of the year. Never once had to clean a chimney and never had a fire that we knew about.
    Is that because of the low volume? Is that because we had stone chimneys? Why is this such an issue up north but not in the south?
    I'm not sure either, I think the chimney sweeps spread the fear of chimney fires. We had a fired clay chimney when I grew up... no fires, I run one with a 10"X10' steel chimney... no fires, I run a pellet stove up a 4" double wall stove pipe, no fires, and I run it every day all winter.

Rancher
    bigwheel likes this.

Never had a chimney fire either except for frying a few bird nests in the Fall. Sounds like somebody was using some kinda crappy wood in there.

I've heard some horror stories from the elders in my family, and their friends. Worst thing I've seen was where a guy I know, cut a hole in the side of his trailer house, and ran a stove pipe out the side. He laid brick down for the stove to sit on, and used tin foil and fiberglass insulation to plug up the gaps around the pipe. Genuine redneck.
    bigwheel likes this.

Evergreens and pine will kill ya

We always burnt oak and hickory... beech...Beech ranks right behind Ash....Ash is used for Louisville Slugger baseball bats....Tough stuff! If you can get ash..its great but due to the Emerald Ash borer here in Kentucky tree's are dying fast and they don't want you to transport it.

You can make body armor outta beech for a 22 rifle just a quarter inch thick

An 8 inch beech log 20 inches long will burn 20 hours plus...the stuff is tough!!

How's Beechwood for firewood?

Banned

Long ago we had a brick chimney that ran inside the plaster walls. My brother burned a lot in winters but never cleaned the chimney since it was a 3 story house. Too much trouble I guess but getting on the roof by the chimney was very easy. He had a chimney fire violent enough that it blew the brick chimney wall out through the plaster wall on the 2nd floor.

In a SHTF scenario you will be the only chimney sweep while burning a lot of whatever wood you can easily get. Keep a chimney brush if you have a chimney. Those chemicals help reduce creosote buildup but not that much and a slow all night fire will build creosote rapidly.
    Last edited by 8301; 06-13-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links