great improvised heater video
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on great improvised heater video within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; check it out! im so pleased to see stuff like this. I can dig it! Natural Cures Not Medicine: Heat Your Room For 15 Cents ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: great improvised heater video

check it out! im so pleased to see stuff like this. I can dig it!

Natural Cures Not Medicine: Heat Your Room For 15 Cents a Day
    PaulS, Inor, Denton and 1 others like this.

Not sure it will heat a big space - like my 22 x 28 foot shop but in an emergency it might keep a small well insulated space warm enough.

I have mentioned this before but I run my 2600 sq house at 55 degrees all winter long. It is cold enough to need a blanket on every chair and when the cold months come we wear long johns in the house during the day.

I Live almost one the 46th parallel which is exactly 150 miles south of the Canadian border, and have the advantage of natural gas at my home.

So my Heating, and hot water, and cooking averages $39 per month or $480 per year.

My electricity is a separate carrier but as I have a solar system I can't compare to anything.

Today it was 32 degrees when I got up and warmed to about 44, which is about average as I changed the oil on my truck in my Tshirt.

My point is the average human being can get used to cold temperatures (and even use them as a weight loss program) so just suck it up and save money and go COLD
    PaulS and Denton like this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Way cool. Gonna try it tomorrow night

I'll keep my home a little warmer than that 55F and the shop will be kept at about 60F so I can work in the winter. I'm glad some of the real men are around though - it makes me glad to be a wuss.

Quote Originally Posted by shotlady View Post
    check it out! im so pleased to see stuff like this. I can dig it!

Natural Cures Not Medicine: Heat Your Room For 15 Cents a Day
    That is funnier than hell! I ran across the same plan on Knowledge Weighs Nothing yesterday and had to try it out.

Last night I cleaned out one of Mrs Inor's terracotta pots (about 8 inches in diameter) and put upside down on three of my grandson's wooden blocks. I put four tea candles under it. It took about a half hour to heat up, but I was surprised at how much heat it gave off. Our living room is about 16 X 24 and once it got going, it gave off enough heat to keep that room tolerable. It would not keep you toasty warm on a cold Minnesota February night when it is -30 outside. But I do believe it would be enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

After it had been going for a while, Mrs Inor put a metal cup with about a half cup of water on the top (not covering the hole) and after about 20 minutes, the water was boiling very slowly.

The only danger is if you use a terracotta pot that had dirt in it at one time, do not use the green scrubby thing that Mrs Inor uses on the dishes for cleaning it out. She was not happy.
    kevincali, jimb1972 and PaulS like this.

Why is it that I immediately default to the "bigger is better" mindset? I'm talking multiple huge candles and pots large enough to plant a tree in:D
    "You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas". Davey Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Rigged for Quiet View Post
    Why is it that I immediately default to the "bigger is better" mindset? I'm talking multiple huge candles and pots large enough to plant a tree in:D
    Or maybe an alcohol stove? Cheap enough to run on E85 if you light it outside and wait a few seconds until the petroleum burns off.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Today it was 32 degrees when I got up and warmed to about 44, which is about average as I changed the oil on my truck in my Tshirt.

My point is the average human being can get used to cold temperatures (and even use them as a weight loss program) so just suck it up and save money and go COLD
    If I have to change my oil at 44 degrees in a tee shirt, . . . it ain't gonna get done, . . . you can take that to the bank.

I left the republic of Vietnam in early 1968 and have been pretty much cold ever since, . . . getting a minor respite in June, July, and August of most years.

I do know what you are saying is correct, . . . and my native American and Appalachian ancestors did deal differently with the cold than I do, . . . but it's one of them "choice" thingys, . . . and I choose to be warm.

Thanks for the post though, . . . reminds me to visit Montana in the summer time

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

They don't give the btu rating of his little heater. Unless the room is a closet I doubt 4 candles are going to heat up much.
    The heater puts out no more heat then just burning the 4 little candles.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 11-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links