Stuck case in reloading die
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Stuck case in reloading die within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; That always sucks. It got stuck last night about 8PM. I went inside to sit and think/drink about it. This morning I get it unstuck ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Stuck case in reloading die

That always sucks. It got stuck last night about 8PM. I went inside to sit and think/drink about it.

This morning I get it unstuck after using some liquid wench and a big hammer. I busted the decapping pin in the process,but got it out of the way for a good sized .200 drift pin.

In the process I scratch the resizing part and was leaving scratches in the brass, so I polished it out and washed it out with brake cleaner.

All the while the electric heater was rockin'

I turned the heater of to go to the foot doc.

I come home at 11AM and plug the heater back in to warm up while napping.

I went back out at 1PM to find smoke. I opened the door after checking to see if the metal walls are hot.

After opening up the secured back window and opening the secured garage door,I cut the cord to the heater while looking at the clock that said 11:30 AM.

I don't know if the vintage heater gave up or if the fumes combusted, but I'm busy tossing out smoke damaged shit.

The smoke even got in my safe and got residue over my black guns and mags.

I have maybe $200 damage to stuff I should have thrown out years ago,but I'll be spending the next week cleaning.

Don't leave your heater unattended. It could have been much worse if the fuse didn't blow at the time the clock said and would have ignited the powder , and primers sitting right above it.

There is a much easier way. Simply remove the decapping pin then use a punch to tap it out. To stop it in the future us something like Hornady one shot on your brass. Method works on Lee, RCBS, Redding, Hornady dies by the way.
    Nathan Jefferson likes this.

I was using a RCBS 223 FL sizing die. The decapping pin would not come out. It was binding at the neck of the case in the die.. I also think the Hornady One Shot lube I like using may be flammable.

The decapping pin had only punched out 122 primers since being replaced by RCBS .

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

This is also internet brass. I was using a Lee shellholder just because I wanted to find a use for the P.O.S. since I own it.

I will use my RCBS #10 shellholder from here on out.

Forgot to lube the cases? or not enough case lube? been there done that. I have yet to experience a heater emergency at the same time. I agree it could have been a lot worse.

I got one stuck .223, could not get it out. I use the wax type lube. Ordered on-line another decaping die and because I didn't care anymore because another was on the way, I went to town on it and now I have an extra decaper.

My dies are Lee (new one is an RCBS) and I know if you send it to Lee they will remove the stuck shell but it was cheaper to buy a new one.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm very careful what I have near my reloading table when I have the gunpowder out. Don't know why but sometimes the powder drop doesn't dump at the right time and I get it all over the floor once in maybe 200 rounds. With your heater there, well . . .

Any way, glad to hear your okay and no structural damage.

I've been pretty lucky I've never stuck a case, but I'm pretty liberal with the case lube. For .223 I have a RCBS lube die that works pretty well but the Hornady one shot is still my favorite. I've heard great things about Imperial sizing wax too but have never used it. With the one shot if you follow the instructions to the letter it works very well. Sorry to hear about the heater mishap, I was just discussing those electric heaters the other day. Those things are dangerous, if you replace it make sure you get one with the tip over safety in it. Personally I went with a Infrared propane space heater in my shop, it's mounted right to the wall and plumbed to the household propane tank. Works great, I love that thing plus I could bring it in the house if our furnace failed, just have to connect it to a 25lb tank.

-Infidel

Banned

Just glad all you wound up with was some smoke damage. Could have been way worse! Glad you're okay.

Dinosaur here, . . . still using the tube lube and the pad, . . .

Drilled a hole in the side of my Lyman single stage press, . . . threaded it, . . . put a neck brush in there, . . . pull the lubed case off the pad, . . . stuff the brush down it's throat, . . . and it's on to the press for resizing, . . . my right hand never has to leave the Lyman handle.

I know it is a lot more work than the spray stuff, . . . but (knock on wood) been reloading on and off since about '72, . . . still haven't had a bad stuck case, . . . they always pulled out with the shell holder.

Just don't like that spray stuff as well, . . . but that's OK, . . . cause my buddy Noah didn't either.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Pull the die out, drill and tap the brass, stick a bolt in it and pull it out. They come out pretty easy that way just put a claw hammer over the bolt and yank it.
    Infidel likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links