Yardsales - an odd development
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Yardsales - an odd development

This is a discussion on Yardsales - an odd development within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Is it just in my AO or are you guys seeing a reduction in the number and quality of yard sales? It is starting to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Yardsales - an odd development

Question Yardsales - an odd development

Is it just in my AO or are you guys seeing a reduction in the number and quality of yard sales? It is starting to be 'neighborhood yard sale' season here around me and the number of yard sales is about half of what I've seen in the past few years, and then the amount and quality of stuff I'm seeing is MUCH lower with prices that are higher than I'd expect.

Maybe it's just around here or (applies tinfoil) are people A) not buying as much crap as they used to so they have less to sell, B) they already sold all their old stuff C) prices are going up because people either 'need' more money for it or they are actually starting to value stuff...

Dunno. Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Hit or miss around here, they are fewer and about 30% expect you to pay retail for the junk they don't want anymore.

Too many clothes,unless you have a growing family its no use these days.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    Hit or miss around here, they are fewer and about 30% expect you to pay retail for the junk they don't want anymore.
    Yeah, the wife and I have been looking for a 'double stroller', finally found one that looked fairly clean and they wanted $60 for it but it was missing the shades/covers and a few other small things - I can buy it brand new from amazon shipped free for $80 that has the much needed shade.

Not a pressure canner to be seen...
    jimb1972 likes this.

Every spring there is a city wide sale of three days. Usually there are cars and trucks going around from even two of the neighboring states. This past spring not as many participants, quality was not very good and prices were up. Even the churches raised their prices.

Im finding guys that have bought out (or so it seems) dollar stores and trying to make a buck on it. There are still lots of farm sales here.. and good things in most of em.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Dweller View Post
    Im finding guys that have bought out (or so it seems) dollar stores and trying to make a buck on it. There are still lots of farm sales here.. and good things in most of em.
    Those are getting pricey around here to - especially for the stuff we are looking for. Got into a bidding war on a seed cleaner - the guy was NOT going to lose so we ran it all the way up to almost 2k - we were only wanting to pay about 10% of that . We want one to clean our seed for the future - he wanted it so he could break his monsanto contract and replant seed.

You would love it up here.. Those fanning mills and seed cleaning screen set ups go for 50 to 100 bucks... I picked up a belt drive grinder for bulk work for 10 bulk.. no one wanted it, They thought it was sized.. Someone had stuck a rag in it at some point. a quick clean up and she works great..

We have 4 thrift store in town, and they think that they are antique stores. Some of the prices are just silly. And some things that should be more expensive are cheap. I like shopping thrift stores for jeans and flannel shirts (I live in them in winter). Some garage sales are good and some think that junk is collectable. I got a free (yes free) crib for my grandbaby due in Feb. It had sold, the young couple dropped it on the way to their truck, and asked for their money back when the leg broke. Easily fixed. I got it for free. Yay. You just have to watch prices. I bought 20 long taper candles for $2.00. None of them were prev. used, and I felt that was a good deal.

I haven't seen any canners for sale. Some slow cookers for cheap. Found some good free stuff. Found some good deals at an antique store. Got a hatchet for $5.00.

Yeah, sadly most garage sales around here have become endless tables of colored glass nick nacks, worn out cloths, and stuff I'm pretty sure was picked from a dumpster.
    Reality: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links