Choose your caliber by the pound. BOB packing
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Choose your caliber by the pound. BOB packing within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Just as for the sake of comparison I weighed a few loaded rounds in various calibers. Obviously there will be a slight change depending on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Choose your caliber by the pound. BOB packing

Just as for the sake of comparison I weighed a few loaded rounds in various calibers. Obviously there will be a slight change depending on particular bullet weight, load size, manufacture, but this difference is nominal compared to the difference between calibers.

Weight shown is in Grams.

.22lr - 3.1 (hollow point or solid)
    .22 Magnum - 3.9
    .380 ACP 9.3
    .45 ACP 21.1
    .44 Magnum 27.9
    7.62 x 39 16.4 / 18.2 (surplus FMJ will be aprox. 16.2)
    7.62 x 54 25.9 (surplus may be slightly lighter)
    270 Win. 24.7
    .308 Win. 24.6
    8mm Mauser 24.7 / 26.4 (surplus / modern)
    12ga. 55.7 (00 Buck, 2 3/4" Magnum)

Sooo, for EACH 12ga. round, I can carry EIGHTEEN rounds of .22lr in my pack. Either one is proven lethal with a head shot (for MANY MANY years the biggest grizzly bear ever killed had been taken with a single shot .22lr). And one would at least expect and hope more ammunition would be spent on taking game than being used against life threatening assailants.

Attachment 2660

Something to think about is all...

Last edited by BigCheeseStick; 09-16-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Reality: Hidden Content

Think I would take the .308 hands down as the most versatile/effective and for small game I have some conibear traps which survival schools teach are more effective than hunting.
    BigCheeseStick and Fuzzee like this.

Why no .223? Because I wouldn't allow such a thing in my home, as there are no ground squirrels to hunt in SC.

My "anti-cat" Nerf gun is more reliable than an AR anyway.
    Attachment 2662

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ApexPredator View Post
    Think I would take the .308 hands down as the most versatile/effective and for small game I have some conibear traps which survival schools teach are more effective than hunting.
    That's a REALLY good point about the Conibears! Another reason to carry paracord to. Conibears are ideal, but the 550 paracord has 7 small STRONG individual strands inside that make good snare traps in a pinch.

I know a 1000 rnds of 9 mm 117 gr weighs 36 lbs
    1000 rnds of 5.56x 45 62 gr weighs 36 lbs
    1000 rnds 7.62x 51 (308) 147 gr weighs 72 lbs

So for long term carrying the 9 mm is out because for the same weight the 5.56x45 has 3 times the energy.

The 7.62x 51 vs 5.56x45 is a fair trade off the 7.62x51 is almost exactly twice as powerful as the 5.56x45 but at twice the weight. So the deciding factor would be for me is if I have to carry all my ammo such as a bug out situation or am I defending a fortified area like my home where I do not need to worry about how much the ammo weighs.
    Just a side note every one says the 5.56x45 is a wimpy cartage but it has the same muzzle energy as the civil war Springfield rifles that everyone thought was so devastating. The large caliber cartridges like the 30-06 of WW-1 fame came about because the ideal of warfare at the time was thought that opposing armies would fight eachother at over 1000 yards, where one side would fire a volley at the opposing side. Not actually aiming at individual soldiers. That is why if you look at some old rifle the rear sight can be raised up and is calibrated to 1200 yards.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 09-16-2013 at 04:07 PM.

2000 yards? You can't see 2000 yards - oh well I can't see 2000 yards I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by rickfromillinois View Post
    Hell, on my Mosin-Nagant the sights go up to 2,000 yds.
    Montana Rancher likes this.

22LR is an extremely valuable carry caliber if you are forced to bug out on foot. I can't fathom that as at the very least I'd use a bicycle.

There is also, to a lessor degree, a space issue. 9mm takes up less space then 223/5.56mm. There is also a concealability issue. While I know many
    people enjoy short 10.5 inch AR's and the 223/5.56mm is attractive in that realm its not super concealable. I like the idea of being able to conceal my
    weapon.

22 is just fine for killing small game but I just will never consider it a self defense round. ya I know in the perfect shot placement it could be lethal but how many people out there have that actual skill under duress I say maybe 2% to 3% at best? just my thoughts. Carry what you know will work for you best, I know my limits and I am not a excellent marksman. My personal skill dictates I use something that will be a little more forgiving with my skill level. a 22 in the average Joe's hands 9 times out of 10 is going to be alot of wasted ammo.

My belief is that I rather have half the rounds with me and be more capable than having twice as much and it be almost useless. Know your limitations and plan according to you skill level. I have had this personal debate for about the last year on buying a 22. I have decided that it just does not fit into my needs.

just a little something to think about.

"Self defense" is going to be at 15' or less range. If you want to see some REAL silliness check out the gun forums where they spend weeks arguing over the most precise sights to use on their "self defense guns". If anybody can come up with a story they feel is believable enough to tell police about how a 25 yard shot was "self defense"... It would be movie worthy!

Personally I'm pretty sure I can pull off a 15' head shot EVERY time without lasers and red dot sights. On a dark night, under deres, holding my breath, on one leg, while chewing gum, and holding a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my off hand. But that's just me.
    PaulS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseStick View Post
    Just as for the sake of comparison I weighed a few loaded rounds in various calibers. Obviously there will be a slight change depending on particular bullet weight, load size, manufacture, but this difference is nominal compared to the difference between calibers.

Weight shown is in Grams.

.22lr - 3.1 (hollow point or solid)
    .22 Magnum - 3.9
    .380 ACP 9.3
    .45 ACP 21.1
    .44 Magnum 27.9
    7.62 x 39 16.4 / 18.2 (surplus FMJ will be aprox. 16.2)
    7.62 x 54 25.9 (surplus may be slightly lighter)
    270 Win. 24.7
    .308 Win. 24.6
    8mm Mauser 24.7 / 26.4 (surplus / modern)
    12ga. 55.7 (00 Buck, 2 3/4" Magnum)

Sooo, for EACH 12ga. round, I can carry EIGHTEEN rounds of .22lr in my pack. Either one is proven lethal with a head shot (for MANY MANY years the biggest grizzly bear ever killed had been taken with a single shot .22lr). And one would at least expect and hope more ammunition would be spent on taking game than being used against life threatening assailants.

Attachment 2660

Something to think about is all...

Apples and Oranges

Yes I agree there is a post of a grizzly being killed with a .22, but there area LOT MORE cases of a grizzly charging through 6 rounds of .357 and .44 so if you think the "golden bullet" will save you then sleep well.

The point is every cartridge you mentioned has a specific purpose either for short range defense or long range shooting.

In a home defense situation give me a 12 and get the hell out of my way,

Foraging, the .22 is a awesome weapon

Hunting .243-.308 is the obvious choice.

To deduce potency of a cartridge by its total weight is foolishness

So we should all just own .177 air rifles by your logic?
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links