bug out scenario help
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

bug out scenario help

This is a discussion on bug out scenario help within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; So my buddy and I are heading into the mountains to practice some bushcraft and survival. To keep it interesting I had my listening audiences ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By alterego

Thread: bug out scenario help

bug out scenario help

So my buddy and I are heading into the mountains to practice some bushcraft and survival. To keep it interesting I had my listening audiences put together a bug out scenario as well as some key duties to achieve during you know things like purify water care for wounds that sort of stuff. I would love it if you guys would generate something also. If you have the time.

Key duties,

Since you are planning ahead,

Find three separate places that are acceptable to you and yours, find land marks for meet up places that you and yours know about,

The trick to these places,

1.) Accessibility to water,

2.) Accessibility to shelter, (you need this immeadiatly after the water) A cash tube in the ground dug in with post hole diggers with tarp, rope, fire starter, etc. can mean you do not have to pack to it, if it will already be their.

Accessibility to food, some minimal amounts of food in the cash tubes can mean every thing, A fire arm in the cash tube can mean food longevity.

Try to make your bug out locations less than 200 miles away, the typical car / truck will go 450 miles on a tank full, you should be with in half a tank to be feasible all the time.

Find these three places, visit them regularly (twice a year or so) maintain your cash.
    CTHorner and rickkyw1720pf like this.

I think your bug out drill is a fantastic idea. We often drill and practice our bug out.
    There are a lot of bush craft skills you can practice, however they will be useless if you never make it to your BOL, or your killed when you get there.
    What I recommend is what we do to force ourselves to plan and put into action all contingencies.
    On the way to our BOL we select a road and make it off limits, forcing us to take an alternative route. In addition we select a vehicle, like a white ford truck. And whenever we see one we consider them hostile and choose an alternative route to go around, or pull off and take cover. It adds a bit of excitement and makes us think about our available routes. When we get to our BOL we check on our Caches, and update them as needed. Then we scout the area, and look for signs of others. We check our tells, and set others. Our BOL is extremely remote, we have never seen sign of others but we never take that for granted. We still study the terrain and discuss ambush points and lines of fire. Places of cover and kill zones. Security is paramount. It is one thing to have supplies to survive and it is another to keep them.
    When setting your priorities remember the rule of three’s.
    We all know 3 hours of extreme exposure, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.
    But we rarely consider the most important 3.
    You will last an average of 3 minutes without a vital organ!
    Believe it or not there are people out there who are not prepared, and desperate enough to take what they need. Even if it means they have to go through you to get it.
    So security should be your first priority, but false security is worse than no security. True security only comes through honest evaluation of your situation. I have three words of advice. Perimeter, perimeter, perimeter, if you wait until they’re at the wire, it’s too late.
    C.T.Horner

Shameless pandering to follow so stop reading if you like.

Be sure to check out my survival series Corporate Survival Available on Kindle. Link provided for convince. Do not click it unless you want to be directed to my Book.

Amazon.com: Corporate Survival eBook: C.T. Horner: Kindle Store

Thanks again C. T. Horner

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I take a reference from elk hunting, as when the season starts they go nocturnal and only move about in the night time, other than that they are in deep cover.

I would suggest for max survivability do everything after dark that you need to do, i.e. get water, move to better ground, or travel to your BOL.

Doing it in the dark will help you learn a lot of things even better than doing it in the daylight.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Rancher makes an excellent point.

Although it is not bush craft, I travel a LOT for business. One of the habits I have gotten into when I check into a hotel is to drop my bag in the room and then immediately pace off the steps to two exits. I also make sure that I commit to memory, the turns and the paces to exit for the entire time I am there. I do this even before calling Mrs Inor to let her know that I arrived. I got caught on the 22nd floor in hotel fire and although I made it out without incident, I was amazed at how dark it was with only emergency lighting and the air filled with smoke.

Possibly doing something similar with your camp site? Pace off how to get to latrine, at least two avenues of escape, etc.

Mod Squad

Arm yourself with paintball guns and get a team to hunt you. See if you can not only survive up there, but do it all while under the stress of an armed mob looking to take your stuff.

If anyone on your team gets shot, treat it as a real wound. Practice first aid unless it would obviously be fatal, in which case they are out and you would have to divide up their load too. Figure out how you're going to continue if you have to carry someone. Practice running security 24 hours a day.

In my opinion, anyone can summertime camp for a week or 2 with only a blanket, knife, canteen cup, and some way to make fire, but that proves little. If you want to be serious, train serious. Just my 2 cents.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Great stuff guys. Thanks so much for all the info. I always say this but this is the best survival forum out there. I get such great knowledge from all of you.

Mod Squad

Inor, that kinda happened to me too. I was with my wife and kids and staying on the 10th floor or so. I would usually never stay above the 4th or 5th floor because ladder trucks can usually reach that high, but the room we got was the only one available.

As soon as we got in the room, I insisted we all run the fire routes. I taught the kids not to use the elevators, not to open doors without feeling for heat first, how to stay low in case of smoke, etc. We walked the primary and secondary escape routes. Good training, you know?

We finished and went back to our room and I swear, we weren't there 15 minutes when the fire alarm went off. My wife shoots me the "what the hell?" look, but we all evacuated with no hesitation and no problems. Interestingly, the hall was full of people standing around wondering what the noise was about.

Turns out it was a minor kitchen fire, nothing life threatening. They evacuated just in case, and the wife (now ex) never gave me a hard time again when I suggested any safety related action. Unfortunately, she gave me a hard time about almost everything else I did, LOL.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

I don't know how many days/nights you will be out, but if you have time, how about trying a day or more without anything you brought with you except what you have on you? Isn't it reasonable to think you may lose your camp? Either hostiles find it steal/ramsack it while you're out or otherwise force you and your friend to abandon it? Perhaps secure your camp, then try a day or so without it.

Sponsored Links