Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Puzzles For Children With Disabilities

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  PaulS 
#1 ·
Hey Fellow Preppers!

I figure we all have lives outside our preps or should, and one of the things I am working on in my spare time is something to give back to my community. I volunteer at a hippotherapy program that uses horses in working with children who have cognitive and physical disabilities. I came up with an idea to create some wood carved puzzles based of their special needs.

I am trying to raise funds for this project, and since I more a craftsmen then a socialite I am turning to one of the few communities I know well, which you are you guys.

Here is the project, If you can just help spread the word about what I am trying to do and this project it would be greatly appreciated.

Zoobits by Cody Rauh ? Kickstarter

cheers,

SAR-1L

#3 ·
SAR,
Get the folks you work with to help. They probably have a media person that could get the word out to the press and other media markets as well as grant writers that could apply for grants to get these made to help all the organizations like the one you are working with.

#5 ·
Hey Paul: Yeah I am going to be talking to the group I volunteer with, I just worry about stepping on toes or going about it the wrong way so I am very cautious about how I ask and who I should talk to on it. I am not exactly a person with the most social finess unfortunately.

Go2Amend: I am glad you like it, was your daughter born with apraxia or did it develop later on? I did some research after reading your post cause I had never heard of it. How did you guys help her with it? Congrats on your 100th post, thank you for sharing, and thank you for the feedback.

#6 ·
sar, I think if you just asked them how to spread the word - the same way you did here it leaves them free to help or not. If they really care about the kids then they will help.

Reactions: SAR-1L
#7 ·
Gotcha, thank you for the feedback guys.

So far I am 10% funded on this project in the first 48 hours, with 27 days left to go. One of the things that was brought to my attention by a friend is that these puzzles could also be used for military which have suffered head trauma or brain injury, cause the process is the similar to children with stroke or brain damage. Anyone know how a guy could get in contact with some of the military rehabilitation clinics, since some of you are veteran military or were wounded in combat yourself?

#8 ·
Look up and contact the civilian veteran's advocate in your area. They should be able to help you find what you are looking for. I know one in Oregon but that is a bit of distance from Colorado. There may be other places like a liaison officer or others that you could contact but I fear most of the government employees don't really give a crap about any real treatment options.

#9 ·
Hey PaulS I wanted to thank you, I worked up the courage to talk to the place I volunteer at, and they agreed to promote it via facebook and their website. It is a huge step in progress, and I very much appreciate your encouragement in all this.

#11 ·
I say Bull Shit
SAR-1L
Take your pansy assed help the children posts somewhere else.

I haven't ever agreed with anything you have ever posted about prepping and now we are supposed to get distracted with your new plight?

This is a prepper blog not a charity, go somewhere else with your manistrations.

Rant off.

#12 ·
Any skill, including how to communicate and where to get help is all part of prepping in my book. Yours may be different, you are free to skip the stuff you don't want to read. His skill in making wood puzzles could be something that is worth bartering for those with families too.

Reactions: SAR-1L
#13 ·
Hey guys! One week has passed and I am 16% there. A few organizations have agreed to help promote. Most of those promotions are going out Monday. I still need quiet a bit of help to make this work.

Zoobits by Cody Rauh ? Kickstarter

Thank you to those who have already donated, given feedback, offered suggestions or otherwise. It is deeply appreciated!

#14 ·
Hello again. So 24% of the way there, and 15 days left. Still looking for people willing to pitch in and spread this to their friends. You will also see a new video showing how the puzzles function which was done by a buddy of mine who does some very good animation.

Children's Therapy Puzzles for Autism, Special Needs & Disabilities.

#18 ·
Congratulations!
I hope you are able to help as many people as you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.