any food storage ideas anyone wanna share?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on any food storage ideas anyone wanna share? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; was watching doomsday preppers and this lady oiled some eggs and they soposed to last up to six months.I'm not sure i wanna try that ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

was watching doomsday preppers and this lady oiled some eggs and they soposed to last up to six months.I'm not sure i wanna try that i rather go with powder eggs.was wondering if anyone had techniques they wanted to share.

If you have ever enjoyed eating powdered eggs you are in the minority. If you have the ability it would be best to raise chickens for your eggs. That way you get fresh eggs and as the layers stop producing you have chicken to eat and more chickens to lay.

I'm stuck in the minority then i live in an apartment i doubt manager ok with chickens he's ok with my veggies but pets not allowed

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

You might have some co-ops in your area - check and see if there is a place where you can expand your garden and maybe keep some chickens in a penned area. Maybe a local farm if there are any you could approach them about having a chicken pen that you maintain and allow them to use the manure for their garden. You would have to care for them - feed them once or twice a day and clean up the pen - but it would give you the experience and make a friend who might be of more help in the future.

I posted this before but I mix my own chicken food.

2 parts corn
    2 parts red wheat
    1 Part soy beans
    1 part alfalfa
    1 part oats

I keep galvanized lined garbage cans in my garage and grind them coarse on my "country living grain mill" every couple of days

The advantages are you have about 800lbs of grain stored in rodent proof cans on site and you can feed your chickens and yourself as you go.

Plus your chickens get fresh ground food which makes their tail feathers wiggle.

Plus the feed is 30% cheaper than store bought mixed rations.

Add some free choice oyster shells for calcium and you have some really happy pecker heads and eggs you don't have to store for 6 months though the
    original post is correct, eggs keep for months.

FYI a 33 Gallon Garbage can will hold 200lbs of grain.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

I'm about a year away from starting to raise chickens. Which means my kids are about a year away from being old enough to care for them! I have not seen the chicken feed mix you posted about Montana. Thanks, I'm going to save it in my chicken file for future use.

I too, will save the recipe. Thank you Montana Rancher.

In my youth I had 5 children at home (my last one graduated this year from HS 3.93 GPA, did I mention private Christian school?)

Anyway when the kids were all home we raised 100 Cornish cross chickens (meat) and EVERYONE helped butcher them. Back in the day they made faces and bitched and moaned about it but every year from then on they reminisce about the memories. Same thing with bucking 120 tons of hay by hand onto a flat bed trailers. I drove them hard but anymore it is their fondest memories and we still get great family reunions unless one of them is deployed.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Like my kids tell me.... you're a good dad!

It seems strange that kids remember their worst times with fondness once they realize that they needed the discipline along with the love to grow up to be real people.

This web site gives a pretty good argument and info about storing eggs. I have never heard of it from personal experience. Any body else????
    Safely Preserving Eggs | Preparedness Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links