fiance having "limp wristing fail to feed"
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on fiance having "limp wristing fail to feed" within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Anyone have any suggestions on a cure for my Fiances "limpwristing". I have taught her the weaver stance, pushing with left and pulling back with ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone have any suggestions on a cure for my Fiances "limpwristing". I have taught her the weaver stance, pushing with left and pulling back with right hand. She's a lefty. She is having a failure rate of about 50%. I thought maybe it just glock related, but had the exact same experience with the taurus's this week. She is getting upset, becouse she must requalify soon, Looks like i might have to buy her another .357 revolver.She is proficent with a revolver, enough to secure her level 3 security, but I wanted her to have more shoots, and when the revolver went away, I thought it was a great time to get her a nice auto. Oh, yes, she a small but strong woman, i just don't know how to help her. Any exercises or drills will be appreciated. She's getting frustrated, and when momma aint happy, well you guys know the rest......

Maybe try having her wear a wrist brace so she is conscious of her wrist.

I never had that problem shooting, but I did have it when learning to carve. I started wearing a brace and once my muscles got used to the feel, I was able to remove the brace and continued to hold the chisel correctly.

"Limp wrist" is a good way to shoot revolvers as it doesn't make you absorb the recoil but with an auto you either have to have a firm grip or use the hottest loads the gun can withstand. To cure the "limp wrist" there is an exercise that you can have her do. Take a 1" wood dowel about 10" long and dril a 1/4" hole in the middle. Thread a 4 to 5 foot piece of para-cord through the hole and tie a knot in it. Hang a weight (about half the weight of the gun is good to start with but you can go lighter if it is too hard) from the end and with your arms out in front of you roll the weight up on the dowel. like a spool) Then unroll it using your wrists only. (an alternating action roling the dowel with the right and then with the left. Start with ten reps and when that gets easy add weight. Keep adding weight until she can do the ten reps with twice the weight of the gun easily. That will cure her limp wrist problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    ...She is proficent with a revolver, enough to secure her level 3 security, but I wanted her to have more shoots, and when the revolver went away, I thought it was a great time to get her a nice auto... She's getting frustrated......
    If she's comfortable and good with a volver, perhaps she thinks you're not proud of her and she don't like you pushing her into trying other stuff

Nice PaulS, will deffinately try that one, and The wrist brace will be tried also. LuckyJim, the revolver was stolen, And she has it in her mind that "auto's jam", so I am currently looking to replace her revolver. So, you may be right on the money too. I need her to requalify soon, so if I can find a .357 Ruger, Im on it.

Without seeing her form its hard to see potential problems but if you are having trouble with the weaver stance maybe try a different one or modify the weaver like this

Left hand shooter so the left arm is almost straight, take the right elbow and drop it and turn it in slightly toward her belt buckle. The point is the off hand will be pulling back and slightly down as well. That may give enough support to compensate for the weak wrist.

Also not sue of her grip but try alternating between thumbs straight ( pointing down the barrel) and thumbs wrapped and see if that makes a difference.

Also try the off hand fingers wrapped at the 2nd knuckle instead of the first, this will look proper if the palm of the off hand covers the bottom of the clip.

The point being there really is no perfect form, only the form that works for you.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Only 1 cure working on gripping the weapon once down it willnot be an issue again
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

I use a stance with handguns that works for me, whether is officially approved or not. Instead of a bent elbow and the corresponding bent wrist I keep my elbow locked straight, my wrist locked straight, and get a cheek weld on the shoulder of my shooting arm. Just as if my shooting arm was the stock of a rifle. My support hand is exactly that - I cup my hand under the hand holding the weapon, elbow bent, forearm parallel with the other.
    I also put the "wrong" foot forward, like I'm shooting a rifle.
    I have been shooting handguns this way for 50 years. I never knew it was "incorrect" until a few years ago. In order to become a member of a police range I had to take a day long course taught by cops. Tactics, safety, range commands, Florida state gun laws, etc. My trainer kept trying to teach me some kind of Weaver or some such, but the head guy watched me put my rounds right where they were supposed to be with my Colt Government Model and said to let me be, I was doing good (I mean, how hard is it to miss at a mere 7 yards?).

Try this, it just may cure limp wristing. By the way I'm a lefty also.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 05-16-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Yes, when I qualified with the .45 in the service the range master wanted me to shoot isocolies (sorry wrong spelling but basically feet spread 90 degrees from the target, both arms straight out and centered on your chest).

I was always a big weaver fan as it shows less body toward your attacker and I get better patterns. Gawd he chewed my ass all the time as when they said "target" I would switch to my position from HIS and scored expert.

Haha, fortunately we were both senior NCO's at the time so he gave me some slack.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

I teach the push and pull method. After a firm grip is obtained, then push with the dominant hand and pull with the weak hand. Balance the force between the hands equally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links