Buying a new house - What should I look for?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Buying a new house - What should I look for? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Recently, I received a promotion at work that entails me moving to a new area. Freaking out about selling my current house aside, I have ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Buying a new house - What should I look for?

Recently, I received a promotion at work that entails me moving to a new area. Freaking out about selling my current house aside, I have to buy a new house. Unfortunately, this promotion puts me a LOT closer to a major metropolitan area. My question is, what features should I look for in my new house from a security perspective? While the promotion will put more money in my pocket, I don't think a major fortress with a big wall surrounding it or a house with a built in bunker are gonna be in the price range. What would you be looking for?
    The best that we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed. - Alexander Hamilton

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Depends on your and your families needs and preferences. I'd be looking to buy a place outside of town in a neighborhood of people with as good moral compass as I could find. On a plot of land with growing space and a well. Defensible and off the main commuting roads. Near a large water source for fishing and hunting grounds the better.
    ElPasoLoneWolf likes this.

I would recommend a quality security alarm service, one that offers burglary/intrusion alarms, panic buttons, fire/smoke, carbon monoxide, and if your house has a basement, flood water monitoring. I would get one with 24-hour monitoring and armed response capabilities.

I would also recommend steel exterior doors with deadbolts and 3" screws into the door jambs, with similar lockable steel doors on the bedrooms as an upgrade. You should look for proximity to emergency services - police, fire, hospital, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My circumstances were terribly different. In 09/10 I needed to buy a new house because I had to sell my old one as it was tied to my business that failed. I was just lucky enough to get out of both without debt. All I had to my name was my cash assets, by BOL and no income to speak of. It was so hard to qualify I took "what I could get" but still I looked for a safe neighborhood (came close - one side is good / other not so much) and a big yard. The yard came with a fig tree and two oranges. I have great danes so they can roam and I have a huge veggie garden now and have added pear, plum, peach and an almond tree. I still don't eat the figs - gotta figure that one out. If I were able to shop for property I'd want trees, ability to plant trees if not, and a safe area. A good path to bug out on - or multiple paths - that'd be good.

I am on 2 rural acres zoned ag, outside of a small town, but 60 miles from a metro area of about 1 million and 25 miles from another small city of 250,000. I am not into alarm systems because if the grid goes down, so does your system. We live a semi sustainable lifestyle. We are able to raise a lot of food on this acreage. If it were up to me, I would be much more rural than I am. I have no problem with isolation and off grid living, but hubby is more of a condo-man, so, I am lucky I have what I have. I guess it all depends where your job is, how expensive real estate is, what your family wants, etc.

1. A house with a well and septic system is paramount.
    2. A way to pump water from the well
    3. A metal roof and metal or cement walls
    4. Plenty of shot guns
    5. A big out vehicle
    punch likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Look for a piece of property with a spring fed stream running through it.
    That is all.

I like a window with a view! Preferably a window that when I look out it, I don't become a witness to a crime

Quote Originally Posted by CourtSwagger View Post
    ...I have to buy a new house. Unfortunately, this promotion puts me a LOT closer to a major metropolitan area...
    If travel time is your main concern it depends how far you're willing to travel to get to work.
    For example you could buy a house a comfortable 50 miles from your workplace and the nasty city if you're willing to take around an hour to drive there.
    Or buy a place just 25 miles away from work and it'll only take you around half an hour to reach it.

I agree with Lucky Jim. If the SHTF and your 50 miles away, and the family is spread out due to school and work, you might be in real trouble. If retired and it's just you and the spouse, as in my situation, that's a diffeernt story. You need to sit down and decide how committed to prepping your are. Is a a main home and Bug in location your only concern because you really believe the SHTF event is right around the corner, or are you prepping because something might happen. Every family must decide for themselves. The problem comes when you buy for regular life and then in a few more years decide to need to take your life to the next step. The cost could be prohibitive and the rest of the family could protest fiercely. IMHO, prepping is like insurance. I watched a Doomsday Prepper episode, where the older couple had over 60 firearms. They didn't seem to have a giant extended family for which they were prepping, nor a giant group of like minded people to protect. But then again, firearms would make great barter. You and your family have to live too. Also I firmly believe you need to have like minded people to form a cohesive group for self protection. In numbers, there is safety. I you're moving, you need to look at new people for your group and that's not the easiest thing to find. I wish you success.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links