Truck/bug out vehicle
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Truck/bug out vehicle

This is a discussion on Truck/bug out vehicle within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Sorry in advance not sure if posting in correct area. I need some recommendations on a bug out/work vehicle. I have been buying things here ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Truck/bug out vehicle

Sorry in advance not sure if posting in correct area.

I need some recommendations on a bug out/work vehicle. I have been buying things here and there for re sale and I want to have the ability to purchase/move bigger items I find. Do any of you have any recommendations on a decent vehicle I can pick up used for 3k and under? Something reputable and 4x4 capable. I have never owned a truck before so I am a huge newb. Thanks everyone!:D

I am a Chevy or Mopar guy. If you are going for a pickup truck I would say a late 70s or early 80's Chevy. If you are thinking maybe a SUV I would look at a 1991 to 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Both have pretty big plus's for the chevy everything is pretty dang cheap to fix or replace and there are TON's of them out there. For the Cherokee that inline 6 is just about bomb proof and a hugh aftermarket support for it, same thing with the Cherokee there are still a ton of them out on the road.

I have a 95 cherokee laredo sitting outside do you think it is good for transporting? Its an 8 cyl

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I sold my Honda Element a few weeks ago, picked up a 2WD Ford F150; I really don't need 4WD to get where I'm going for we have a jeep wrangler on the property I just gotta get there,
    my price on the Ford was 2650 and its running great - I've seen others in the same price range - miles vary. I was told by my "mechanic" to seek out the 5.0 and avoid the 5.8 V8, its not
    that the later is bad or anything its just about 5 miles per gallon difference and since I don't tow anything the 5.8 wouldn't benefit me.

Motorcycle with trailer or saddle bags or bicycle with a trailer. Can go between cars when highways are packed.

Bike better in some ways, easier to repair, no fuel. Limited speed and range though.

Motorcycle would allow you to haul or pull more but is fuel dependent and harder to fix.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I had a 96 Laredo V6. It was a good automobile for a while. Completely capable of hauling quite a lot of gear. Just leave the couch at home. Anything after the later 80's is a PCM, sensor ridden vehicle though. The theory has always been that a good ole non-PCM, carburated engine will handle an EMP attack and be easier to fix if something burns out in the attack. Having changed many sensors on various vehicles, the Laredo one of them, there the first thing to go. I have no doubt they build the sensors with a shorter life and lower quality than they could. Afterall than they make money on the replacements and it brings money to the mechanic and shop. A plus if it's a dealership. I just prefer to save the hundreds of dollars in labor and do the work myself. Than spend the money on guns and ammo. I like older, classic vehicles and have had 2 F150's of late. Both with 5.0L 302 V8's. Basically very close to the same engine as the Mustangs, but would like to go older and probably will. One was a 4x4 with a Mazda 5 speed tranny. What a piece of crap that tranny was and gave me no end of problems. Since I'm no mudder and a good 2 wheel drive truck with clearance can handle a fair amount of offroad, I'm very happy with the one I have now. An F150 is quite a tough work truck too. Strong frame, easy to work on, roomy, hauls a lot and fairly fast. Mine is anyways. I don't like jacked up trucks and prefer fast which is why I'm looking to make mine faster. If an EMP attack does happen I'm sure every single sensor and the PCM will fry like battered KFC though and would like an early 80's F150.
    Last edited by Fuzzee; 03-28-2013 at 05:13 PM.

I love my jeep
    If you're listening to this, you are the resistence

Here is a Jeep that sold for $3000 - they're out there:

SOLD Cheap jeep for sale $3,000 Pics added - Expedition Portal

can you carry stuff in a wrangler? I like them but I am looking to move dressers and etc. They are cool though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links