Arrow v moose
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arrow v moose

This is a discussion on Arrow v moose within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; He put one into it with that fancy bow but it just ran off at the end of the vid probably thinking "It's gonna take ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Arrow v moose

Arrow v moose

He put one into it with that fancy bow but it just ran off at the end of the vid probably thinking "It's gonna take more than one sonny"

LiveLeak.com - Close Encounters Of The F#cking Big Kind!

Banned

I have never gone after a moose with a bow, that kinda seems like it wouldn't work. The moose I shot up in Wisconsin took five guys to carry off JUST the legs, ended up giving half of it away and STILL ate on it for most of a year. Reddest, richest meat you ever saw. It's a lot like buffalo.

Something doesn't look right. I think photoshop. I know when I was working on the Northern Border the Native Americans would shoot a moose with a traditional bow and arrow and follow it for days til it dies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen View Post
    Something doesn't look right. I think photoshop. I know when I was working on the Northern Border the Native Americans would shoot a moose with a traditional bow and arrow and follow it for days til it dies.
    Yeah it's a bit fishy the way he just stood there like a wimp in the video after it ran off, i thought any respectable hunter worth his salt would go after it to finish it off

No standing still and waiting for the animal to bleed out is the right thing to do because an animal like a moose will cover more ground than any hunter could. The arrow placement was horrible for such close range but being that close to a bull moose could do that to a person.
    Last edited by Meangreen; 03-22-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    Infidel likes this.

Yeah...it looked like he hit it too far back. It is certainly best to sit and wait for the animal to weaken and bleed out...there will likely be quite a blood trail. A modern compound bow is capable of taking Moose.
    Infidel and Meangreen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BDylan View Post
    Yeah...it looked like he hit it too far back. It is certainly best to sit and wait for the animal to weaken and bleed out...there will likely be quite a blood trail. A modern compound bow is capable of taking Moose.
    I agree but did the tree in the middle of the frame look weird? Maybe photoshopped to look closer than it actually was.
    BDylan likes this.

I agree a modern compound is capable of taking moose and letting it bleed out is the way to go. If he goes right after it he'll be chasing that moose for miles. Most wounded animals will lay down and bleed out if left alone. I doubt it went all that far before it laid down. Hard to say from those camera angles where he hit but it did look like he hit it a bit further back than I'd be comfortable with. Most definitely still in the vitals, most likely a liver hit from what I saw so it may take a bit longer for that moose to finally die. Most bow hunters recommend waiting at least a half hour before trying to recover a game animal and an animal that size I'd wait an hour before going after it. I wait half an hour before going after whitetails with a rifle, well I try to anyway sometimes the excitement is just too much to take. Settle down, drink some coffee out of the thermos maybe have a smoke and that's about all I can stand then I gotta go see it.

As a side note I'm a believer that the harder an animal dies the gamier the meat will be. I think it's mostly caused by the adrenaline in the system. The only gamey whitetail I've ever shot was one that took a step as I pulled the trigger and was hit through the gut. I went after it too soon and ended up pushing it and had to put another round in it on the run. I'm convinced this is what led to the gaminess of the meat.

-Infidel
    Meangreen and BDylan like this.

I absolutely agree with the theory that the best tasting game is from animals that were killed quickly and cleanly. I'm also agreeing that the Moose encounter seemed unusual and was possibly photoshopped.
    Meangreen likes this.

Banned

This pisses me off big time, don't hunt animals you can't kill with the weapons you are using. Up here that guy would have been legally obligated to track that thing down. Such a jerk. It takes large calibre ammo to take out a moose. Any idiot with weak draw, under 180lbs and or small calibre like a 22 shooting at mooses is a jerk.

Although in self defence it makes sense.. Very well may have killed it but anyone who plans on going out and hunting big game with small weapons, if not in a life and death situation is as bad or worse than the poachers. Also being prepared to go after the thing rather than standing in shock.

Here are some recommended draw weights http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...hunting63.html
    Last edited by Will2; 03-23-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links