Christian Warriors... or... When to NOT turn the other cheek
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Christian Warriors... or... When to NOT turn the other cheek within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I've noticed a growing trend over the past year and some comments on the recent "hobbies" thread sort of drove the point home, at least ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Christian Warriors... or... When to NOT turn the other cheek

I've noticed a growing trend over the past year and some comments on the recent "hobbies" thread sort of drove the point home, at least enough that it made me want to discuss it here.

I've always just assumed that the vast majority of Christians were the "peace first" or "turn the other cheek" types and always thought I was just different. I've considered myself unusual in that I wouldn't hesitate a microsecond to kill someone who was threatening myself or my family. But it appears that my problem is just that I never asked. I've only been (more) public about prepping for about a year now... and have been slowly learning that most of my Christian friends are extremely well armed and are very prepared (or are diligently working to get that way.) Then, over the last few months, I've seen numerous individuals who have expressed both a Christian and a Prepper background on this forum... and I have to say that I am very pleased to learn that I am not alone in this.

I realize we will all have to internalize our beliefs and accept any consequences for our actions when we are faced with those questions that often get posted here: Would you feed a family that never prepared and has nothing to offer? If traveling, would you walk past an abandoned young girl begging for food or take her with you? Etc....

I realize we would all try to help our fellow man if the situation allowed it with acceptable or no consequences. But... it's when we need to turn the other cheek 180 degrees and walk away that interests me. I'm curious about the scriptural verses that support the concept of prepping. For example, I apply John 15:2 to prepping and figure that a family that didn't prepare equates to a branch that didn't bear fruit and should be cut off and allowed to wither away (and any example should assume that helping them in some way is a detriment to myself or my family.) I also accept that my friends and family may need some "pruning" so that we prosper. I realize that "God helps those that help themselves" is not actually a bible verse... but it sort of rings true to me. Of course, I can always counter that by taking Prov 28:26 slightly out of context... "He who trusts in himself is a fool..."

Seriously though, does anyone have any examples of verses that support the idea of prepping or ones that help solve the question of when it might be appropriate to "NOT" turn the other cheek and place them in your sights instead?
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason (co-author of the Bill of Rights)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
    "If guns don't make people safer...then why do world leaders have armed security?" - Author Unknown

Cant think of any verses that I can quote to back up my thoughts and opinions.

I do think that a majority of Christians are of the peace first or turn the other cheek types. But I am of the opinion that too many take that too literally. While I think God wants us to be humble and to show patience, mercy and compassion, I am not convinced that God wanted you to be a door mat to be walked all over at will or to die needlessly. Its hard to do Gods work when your not of the earth to live his example for the rest to see.

Good post though...might make for a good discussion Sunday tho. There is bound to be some folks there that can "quote" much better than I and perhaps mention a few good quotes for reference. Might turn into a pretty thought provoking discussion.

First, I BELIEVE..and am proud to say so, I dont bring it up often, but I am.
    Second, I try to turn the other cheek, but as you said, dont endanger my family, or friends.
    Third, I would try to help any child, being hopefully carefull of a trap, Its not a childs fault if someone didnt provide for her. And the future is our children.
    As for verses, I know very little, I have to admit.
    breakingcontact likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

11th Commandment... Thou shalt keep they religion to thyself.
    bennettvm likes this.
    I don't trust a government that doesn't trust me with a gun.

Definately food for thought....I am not so sure that deep down in the recesses of our beings that we could let someone starve and go off to die knowingly. I am not saying give them the farm, but I would do what I could afford to do in time of crisis and let them go knowing that I did the best that I could. I am also aware that you cannot save everyone either.

Luke 22:36 And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet; and he that hath none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword. ASV

Jesus was not a pacifist.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Luke 22:36 And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet; and he that hath none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword. ASV

You are quite correct.
    For a number of years I struggled with my part in the Vietnam war, specifically some of my actions. I found some measure of peace after attending bible studies and doing my own research into God, soldiers, war, etc.
    I ultimately became involved in Pointman International Ministries to help fellow vets.
    The bible is full of references, both Old and New Testament. Somewhere at the house I have a long list of verses I found.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 03-21-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    9UC, mwhartman and Inor like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post

Add to that: Mark 12:17 "And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him."

1. Jesus was not a pacifist, . . .

2. Jesus knew and approved that we need to survive in this world until His return, . . . and asked us only to separate the requirements of the world from the requirements of His in that day to day life. He also approved and provided a "basic instructions before leaving earth" book: the Bible, for us to have, read, enjoy, and follow to the best of our individual circumstances.

Mother Theresa could never have accomplished her desired mission with an M60 in her left hand any more than Billy Graham could have evangelized the masses he did with a NYSE ticker tape machine in his hotel room 24/7.

We lesser mortals are not tasked with the responsibilites they had, but we are tasked with the responsibilites of ourselves and our families, and to that end, the Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth also gives us another very pointed statement: 1 Tim 5:8 "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

Not all will agree, . . . but I truly accept the standard that within the word "provide" comes housing, clothing, food, shelter, instruction, and protection. I was tasked with providing for them, . . . and will as long as I humanly can.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    jc-hunter and 9UC like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I am a Christian and basically I can tell you that there is goodness in the world and also evil. I will do my best to kindle and foster goodness, truth , integrity, and courage. But , at the same time, I will not hesitate to eliminate elements of evil. One of the things that has brought the world to this point is " grey area". Man prospers much better in a world of 'black and white", or in other words, "a line in the sand", or 'yes or no". Not "maybe , if-." Grey area only allows for excuses and failures. An example of "grey area" is "political correctness". This keeps people from really speaking their minds. I believe the line in the sand is approaching quickly. And in the end , we will be better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WoadWarrior View Post
    does anyone have any examples of verses that..help solve the question of when it might be appropriate to "NOT" turn the other cheek and place them in your sights instead?
    When they came to arrest Jesus, his righthand man Peter whipped out his sword and whacked the high priest's flunkey across the head with it, slicing off his ear.
    "Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear"-John 18:10

Jesus told Peter off for doing it, but the fact remains he allowed him to carry it in the first place, probably as a deterrent to muggers on their travels.
    So if a saint (Peter) toted a weapon and DIDN'T turn the other cheek I'd think we can do the same IF the situation warrants it.
    None of us want to turn nasty unless we HAVE to. Al Capone summed it up nicely with- "If somebody messes wid me, I'm a-gonna mess wid him!"
    Heck if we'd turned the other cheek in WW2 Hitler would have been in London and the Japanese in Washington..

"Raise a banner on a bare hilltop,I have summoned my warriors to carry out my wrath..
    The Lord is mustering an army for war. They come from faraway lands,
    from the ends of the heavens, the Lord and the weapons of his wrath,
    to destroy the whole country.. and destroy the sinners within it" -Isaiah 13:2-9

After capturing Baghdad International Airport-
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 03-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    jc-hunter and 9UC like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links