Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

vehicle hardening?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  PaulS 
#1 ·
so im reading " One second after " and i'm wondering. how to harden my B.O.V.. Its a 1985 K5 Blazer.?

#2 ·
Get a jeep than the possibilities are endless haha just bugging have you dun any mods to it yet? I'd first got with a big steel bumper with a winch never know when you are going to have to push a car out of your way or pull your self out of some shit that's what I would do fist any ways than get in to off rode lights lift and tiers but that's just me

#3 ·
Lifting this week!! Got 36's for it and I'm a welder so I'm starting the build of exterior roll cage and roof rack. I've designed a kinda rack that's a lot like the horizon 4x4 trailer. Gonna build a large steel bumper out of a large abrasion resistant steel bumper with a type of cow catcher on hydraulics. I build but tables and angle line and drill machines so the options are limitless.

#4 ·
I think you might mean "hardening" against EMP? The easy way is to just get a spare electronic igniition modual and a spare computer (maybe) and put the spares in a faraday cage to protect them. Have a mech teach you (if you dont know) how to change out the fried one after the EMP. I may be wrong , but maybe someone else could comment.

#6 ·
I own a 83 blazer and all I did was put a points distributor on it and it is emp proof, it has no computer. I'm not completely sure the HEI ignition would suffer in a EMP but I rebuilt a 350 4 bolt from a 69 Camero and it had one so I used it.

On your 85 you would need to replace the throttle body injection with a carberator and new intake manifold as well.

That's a way to completely bypass the electronics problems, faraday the computer and distributor for barter later.

Reactions: jc-hunter
#7 ·
Get rid of anything that uses IC (Integrated circuits.) Only robust electronics like electric motors, heavy cable, will survive.

Also I saw on Mythbusters that phone books stuffed in the doors works for bullet proofing, might wanna check out that episode. They tested it and everything, I think only high powered rifles were able to penetrate.

#10 ·
That's a whole other topic..... Go Chevy. now back on topic, when it comes to EMP I am for sure not in the know but you being a welder the possibilities are endless. I have a Jeep Cherokee XJ in the garage that is missing me something bad. its a project I got going that I think is going to take way longer than I want. working on turning into my out in the wild truck. Keep us updated on your progress for it.

#12 ·
Damn JPARIZ, thats hard....ha.
I know "zero" about emp, would a ground rod work, say if you had a heavy welding lead, and it was grounded into a copper rod, in the ground, and just had a jumper cable end to clamp onto the meatl of a truck? seeing as I dont have a garage, and I drive daily, and its all computers, even the damn keys have a chip in them... My only experience with a faraday cage is seeing one on tv.

#13 ·
Park it in a metal ocean cargo container that is grounded to two four foot copper grounding rods. Instant Faraday cage.

Then weld in a bathtub cage around the occupants compartment made of AR500 steel plate, add gun ports, and shield the radiator and wheel wells.

Install above ground fuel tanks to fuel the beast, or weld up a fuel trailer on a pintle hook to haul with you.

#14 ·
Hardening against EMP is fairly straightforward.
The points ignition is a good first step but you need to keep a spare coil, condenser and points in an internally insulated metal box so you can replace them. Put in a complete set (6) of diodes for your alternator and you are ready to go. The strter will be fine and the stator and rotor coils in the alternator will be ok. The electronics (radio etc.) will be dead but there is little you can do without a removable antenna and power supply.

#15 ·
Thanks for the input. Gonna get the spare parts as soon as possible. Seems to me that things are speeding up and I just want to be prepared. Watching Obama and Isreal closely. Makes me seriously nervous that they are trying to set up a new government before Obummer gets there... if he makes an agreement with them.............well, im outtta here.

#16 ·
Obama's not going to make any agreements with Israel - we just gave $250 million cash + F-16's + M1 tanks to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. You know, those guys who want to destroy Israel and kill every last Jew.
Obama may, however, be the impetus for a new Middle East war, which could rapidly become WWIV. (We are already in WWIII - that would be civilization vs islam).
And if there's ever an EMP big enough to fry your truck, your former truck will be the least of your worries. Solar flare? Not big enough. Nuclear weapon explosion? I've read that for it to affect all of America it will have to be huge, centered over the midwest, and about 500 miles in altitude.

#19 ·
I was just wondering this myself. I have an 09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door 4x4 and love it. I have a 3in lift kit on it and have 35in Toyo MT's shoved under itand it goes everywhere. I was thinking about buying some spare electronic parts and putting them in a F cage to protect them.. I guess I might as well get that done asap, just in case!

#20 ·
Any electronics that are required to make the vehicle run and charge are necessary to keep stored in a faraday cage/box.

#22 ·
You are going to have a hard time with any injected car - as for the keys put a spare key in several layers of plastic wrap and store it in a metal tin (like an Altoids mint box) and wrap it in foil. with injectors you need a spare computer(s), sensors, and every piece of electronics that make it work stored in a faraday cage. All those parts will need to be replaced before your car will run. You are a lot better off with a classic car with points ignition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.