how do i know i live in a bad area for when shtf
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on how do i know i live in a bad area for when shtf within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I live in a small town in central valley ca.I'm always worried some crazy people gonna try and blow up the naval base.I'm like 10 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ripon
  • 2 Post By AvengersAssembled

Thread: how do i know i live in a bad area for when shtf

I live in a small town in central valley ca.I'm always worried some crazy people gonna try and blow up the naval base.I'm like 10 mins away from the base.the town has about 2500 and everyone is so nice its weird lol I'm used to living in big cities but been here a few yrs and i like that its so quiet,crime rate is low even thought lately there been lot of break ins and cars being stolen but murders and stuff i heard of one in last 8 yrs i think that's a good thing.sometimes i wonder if i live in a good area or violence prone area when shtf.

Well you answered your question in the first sentence, I live in California. Now jokes aside that small of a town should be nothing near as bad as living in a larger city, I would say you are already at a advantage. I think living close to the base has it pros and cons. I would like to believe that there is more pros than cons.

As with any question the issue of "what kind of "SHTF" are we speaking of. The general decay and slow economic death that has already begun getting worse? I think a small town would be great to live in - in such a situation. In an EMP type thing discussed in another thread a city of 2500 probably doesn't have what it takes to secure its border ( maybe a few towns on rivers and water ways do). But as wesley pointed out - would you rather be in a small town or Oakland? Yeah - I think that's an easy one.
    oswegoscott likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

When it come to security.we got about 18 cops and one motorcycle cop in our police dept. but 85 % of people here are military so that should help in something.

I'd personally feel safer in a smaller town, the last place I'd want to be in basically any survival situation would be in a large city. I'm stuck in a big city for the next couple of years, and that's what worries me!
    inceptor and oswegoscott like this.

I'm with every one elce on this I live in a small town and out not have it any outher way I love to go viset big city's New York Boston LA fun to hang out in for a few days but than it gets to be time to head back home

Banned

First in small towns one can get to know just about everyone. Especially the Police and can zne in on outsiders should the SHTF. However they do tend to have only limited resources as was the case throughout the US during WWII. Civil Defense had an extensive program for volunteers across all lines of cmmunity service, Police, fire EMS, etc and everyone not on active duty was encouraged to participate. That way you could tend to your family and know that therewere others in the community sharing the load. Problem today is that a large part of our communities (regardess of where) are dependent/expentant on others to do for them. The concept of self reliance is considered old fashioned. Small towns may be a bit more immune to that syndrone, but it will still crop up in some

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by miho View Post
    I live in a small town in central valley ca.I'm always worried some crazy people gonna try and blow up the naval base.I'm like 10 mins away from the base.the town has about 2500 and everyone is so nice its weird lol I'm used to living in big cities but been here a few yrs and i like that its so quiet,crime rate is low even thought lately there been lot of break ins and cars being stolen but murders and stuff i heard of one in last 8 yrs i think that's a good thing.sometimes i wonder if i live in a good area or violence prone area when shtf.
    You'll be OK. It sounds like not much violent crime. If there's a lot of burglaries that usually indicates drug users trying to get money to feed their habit. If the drug supply dries up for any reason things may get a little dicey for you. But that could be guarded against.

I'm about 40 air miles from the only east coast base for nuclear ballistic missile submarines. If that place goes up, I'm not going to have to worry about a thing anymore.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Well if you hear moaning see hundreds of flesh eating zombies headed your way you are probably not in a good area...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengersAssembled View Post
    I'd personally feel safer in a smaller town, the last place I'd want to be in basically any survival situation would be in a large city. I'm stuck in a big city for the next couple of years, and that's what worries me!
    yup me too :?

Sponsored Links