How will you turn Friends away....this is a hard one.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How will you turn Friends away....this is a hard one. within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Many of my Friends know I Prep and know my Home is in a great location when SHTF, and so many don't Prep at all ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How will you turn Friends away....this is a hard one.

Many of my Friends know I Prep and know my Home is in a great location when SHTF, and so many don't Prep at all let alone own a flashlight.

What will you say to the ones that come that you can't keep or help, this gives me a sick feeling in my gut when I think about it. I can talk all the Macho I want but its gonna be hard either way.

Banned

Just remember we all deep down in our souls believe that things will get better and back to normal after a SHTF event. Those that you turned away will remember and probably seek payback. Also remember that no matter how well prepared you think you are, no one or single family can go it alone for more than a short while. You are going to need others (like doctors or dentists, or chicken farmers or dairymen) just to name a few. Far better for a small community (Village is what we called our commuinities in the town i grew up in) to band together and and ride out the bad times. We are all stronger when we work together than when we try and go it alone. Don't get me wrong, I've got my farm and a basic stock pile of goods and tools etc, but

Vulf - to me, the best time to start discussing your prep-sharing limitations with your family, friends, and neighbors is TODAY. Do not wait until it's crisis time. But first you also must make up your own mind, on no uncertain terms, what you want to do. Do you want everyone to come to your house? Do you want only certain ones to come? Do you want nobody to come? Make up your mind and stick to it. There are pros and cons to any decision you make but only YOU can make that call.

Don't be timid with your notification. Just tell your people your intentions straight up and let them do with it what they want. Let them know that your decision is not up for discussion. Depending upon what type of emergency situation your decision could mean life or death to you and your immediate family.

You're faced with a big decision - make that decision and move on. Indecision will cause long ranging problems for you and your friends and family.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have thought about this as well. I was always taught it is about the team, not the individual, so in a way I would want to help. However, can you really prep for all of your friends too? I prep for my family, and my supplies are to sustain us in case SHTF. To a point I think it would be hard to say no, however I look at my family and would rather feed my kids, than a friend who failed to prep. I do however have a few select friends and we have contingency plans, so I would have a few of them with me, or close to me, but turning someone away would be tough, and hard to answer...great question.
    oswegoscott likes this.

Mentioned this in another post - I have so few friends - and the ones I have would all be able to contribute - they are military or law enforcement and one doctor, and these are people I have known a minimum of 20+ years.

Casual acquaintances? No chance they are coming into my house.
    oswegoscott and AquaHull like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oswegoscott View Post
    Horse manure. You're going to jeopardize your family's food and security because someone you turn away MAY remember in a year or 5 or 10??
    I agree. If your worry about you friends, then they need to start their prep's or start helping with yours. Remmeber the twiligth show the the bunker. The friends turn into animals. Your friends may not be friends when the SHTF!
    oswegoscott likes this.

I think it's more of a level of friendship for me.
    Friends I can call right "NOW" and they would drop whatever they are doing and come over and help me. Will be helped.
    Friends that just say Hi. Will come over for a party etc. Mysteriously won't answer the phone when they know something is up. Only hear from when "they" need something. Well they are on there own.
    People that won't take NO for a answer will be dealt with in a very harsh manor if need be. I don't care if they have a problem and want to try and seek revenge later. "Friends" that know me won't be that foolish. It's there own fault they aren't ready and I won't risk my families safety for some idiot.
    ekim and DPayne like this.

The Good Cop

Long ago and far away I learned not to let anyone become a good friend and get close to me.
    Today I have aquaintances, but only one neighbor would rise to the level of me sharing stuff with - and it just so happens he's an old Southeast Asia hand himself. Imagine that!
    ekim and Meangreen like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

In a SHTF scenario, friends and family (other than my immediate family) would have to bring some resources or serious skills to the table. Otherwise, they would be sent on their way.
    Ripon likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor - Personal Protection in the Home
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

My only friend I have, is someone downstate near DeToilet, I've known him 30 years , he has guns and ammo. His family is down there , so there he stays. They may all come up here but I doubt it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links