D-Day June 6, 1944
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

D-Day June 6, 1944

This is a discussion on D-Day June 6, 1944 within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Found this archive of audio files of radio broadcasts on June 6, 1944. Thought some of you would like to give a listen. You can ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: D-Day June 6, 1944

D-Day June 6, 1944

Found this archive of audio files of radio broadcasts on June 6, 1944. Thought some of you would like to give a listen.
    You can also download them and listen later at your leisure. Be prepared to sit a spell.

https://archive.org/details/Complete...cast_Day_D-Day

Perhaps you have rare/interesting pics or links to information about this momentous day you'd like to share here?
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

The Good Cop

Good find, Boss.
    As a WWII history enthusiast, D-Day is one of the events I have read a lot about. I have a number of volumes on the subject in my library, ranging from The Bedford Boys, to The Longest Day, to Stephen Ambrose's D-Day (if you only read one book on the subject, make this the one).

Here is one link
    Bedford Boys: D-Day veterans remembered in Virginia - CBS News
    Denton, Prepared One and Boss Dog like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Courage is not the absence of fear.
    Courage is being scared, and going anyway.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Courage is not the absence of fear.
    Courage is being scared, and going anyway.
    I am making this our quote of the week. We have a white board on the fridge that gets a quote every week.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

I have long wondered where the courage comes from to stand in the front of a Mike boat knowing full well that as soon as the ramp drops, in all likelihood, your time on Earth is about to end. Omaha, Utah, Juneau, Sword and Gold. They saved the world.

Just listening to the official announcement from Allied Headquarters brings chills. I could see Americans waking up and huddling around their radios hoping beyond hope that their soldier or sailor was safe. So many were not.
    Last edited by csi-tech; 06-04-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    rice paddy daddy and Boss Dog like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I have long wondered where the courage comes from to stand in the front of a Mike boat knowing full well that as soon as the ramp drops, in all likelihood, your time on Earth is about to end. Omaha, Utah, Juneau, Sword and Gold. They saved the world.

Just listening to the official announcement from Allied Headquarters brings chills. I could see Americans waking up and huddling around their radios hoping beyond hope that their soldier or sailor was safe. So many were not.
    All across America it was just as you said - people gathered around their radios to get the latest news.
    Churches all across the land opened their doors so people could come and pray.

One book that I re-read every few years is Crusade In Europe, by General Eisenhower.
    I am fortunate to be old enough to remember him as President.
    Denton and dwight55 like this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    I am making this our quote of the week. We have a white board on the fridge that gets a quote every week.
    Someone much more eloquent than me said that. I just heard it along the way, but it is very true. Very true.
    Denton likes this.

The Good Cop

Photos

Americans On D-Day - America in WWII magazine
    On this one, hover over each photo with your cursor - it will enlarge the picture and give you a caption

Images of D-Day at Normandy | HistoryNet
    Boss Dog likes this.

Courage was abundant. These young men made it happen on D-day and other numerous other places around the globe.. My father was in the Marines. He told me about a tale of a called off operation that called for a small force of marines to land on the north end of New Britain to draw off as many Japanese units as possible from Rabaul where the real landing would take place. All the ammo they could carry and no other support. It was volunteer only as none were expected to survive. No one stepped forward in his unit to back out. The mission was called off 2 weeks before it was to be executed.
    rice paddy daddy and Boss Dog like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Someone much more eloquent than me said that. I just heard it along the way, but it is very true. Very true.
    You are plenty eloquent, and with a heart and mind to make it matter, sir.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links