D-Day June 6, 1944 - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

D-Day June 6, 1944

This is a discussion on D-Day June 6, 1944 within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Camel923 Courage was abundant. These young men made it happen on D-day and other numerous other places around the globe.. My father ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: D-Day June 6, 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Courage was abundant. These young men made it happen on D-day and other numerous other places around the globe.. My father was in the Marines. He told me about a tale of a called off operation that called for a small force of marines to land on the north end of New Britain to draw off as many Japanese units as possible from Rabaul where the real landing would take place. All the ammo they could carry and no other support. It was volunteer only as none were expected to survive. No one stepped forward in his unit to back out. The mission was called off 2 weeks before it was to be executed.
    I had an uncle in the Navy that got caught up on one of those missions, . . . when they got ready to go (a Destroyer would drop them off, . . . they would go ashore in rubber boats, . . . clear the beach as much as they could in 24 to 36 hours), . . . him and a Navy LT named Zurich I believe, . . . they were not allowed to come aboard as the OD said they were full and could not take them.

He spent the rest of the night in nightmares reliving watching his mother pray for him. Later he found out the Japs saw em coming, . . . held their fire until the DD pulled away and was out of range, . . . then they opened up on our guys and wiped em out completely. He also had two ships shot out from under him, . . . spent a couple days and nights in the Pacific, . . . watching his buddies die around him.

And, . . . lots of the guys had codes. My Navy uncle had two maps, . . . one for him, one for his wife, . . . each island or island group in the Pacific was linked to a cousin or uncle or aunt, . . . so if he said he wanted her to go see Aunt Martha, . . . they might be in the Solomons, . . . Uncle George might be Okinawa and so forth. She always knew where he was.

They were truly the greatest generation, . . . just glad I had the privilege of knowing him and others like him.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Boss Dog and Slippy like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Major General Charles D. W. Canham
    "Upon entrance to the German command headquarters of General Ramcke, commander of the German 2nd. Parachute Division, Canham was asked for his credentials, without hesitation he turned to the GI's accompaning him and said, These are my credentials." The account of this event which was reported in the New York Times saw in this spontaneous statement of a combat leader the greatest tribute ever paid to the real power of the American Army."

Charles D. W. Canham, Major General, United States Army

This scene gets me every time.
    Marica likes this.
    1 Peter 2:24 KJV
    Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

D-Day June 6, 1944-screen-shot-2019-06-02-2.23.34-pm.jpg

Transcript of Lowell Thomas' radio broadcast from the evening of June 6, 1944. Thomas was to radio what Cronkite was to TV back in the day, so this is what Americans heard that evening.

[from History As You Heard It. Lowell Thomas. Doubleday & Company, Inc., Garden City, N.Y. 1957.]

This is a moving 4 minute video to watch.
    The song, 'The Shores of Normandy' was written and is sung by Jim Radford. He was 15 years old when he landed on the beaches of Normandy.

My dad came ashore on Utah beach.

I treated a patient yesterday that was infantry in Guadalcanal and Bougainville and went on to the Philippines.

These guys are my heroes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links