D-Day June 6, 1944 - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

D-Day June 6, 1944

This is a discussion on D-Day June 6, 1944 within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Denton You are plenty eloquent, and with a heart and mind to make it matter, sir. I'm nothing more than an old ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: D-Day June 6, 1944

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    You are plenty eloquent, and with a heart and mind to make it matter, sir.
    I'm nothing more than an old truck driver who barely graduated high school.
    But I have seen heroes, I served with some.
    Denton, Auntie, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Pictures from one of my favorite sites

Ghosts of Time: 10 Incredible Pictures of Normandy 1944 and Now Combined!

FWIW - Growing up, most of the Dad's on my block served during the war. One of my high school math teachers jumped into France before dawn on June 6th with the 82nd Airborne.
    Sadly, these men, and women, are almost gone now. There are no more left at my VFW Post, and at the last 5th Infantry Division reunion I attended (2014) there were only 4 in attendance.
    Cricket likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

No longer here.

Sorry gentleman, just spent a few days in the surgery ward with my Uncle. July, 1923. Youngest of two surviving brothers of 13. My service is secondary to the greatest generation! I'm the kid the nurse asks to spend the night at my uncles house because nobody else remains to stand vigil during His Time Of Need. RPD, I find myself in a quandary, I shall be the one to call the remaining cousins when both of my fathers remaining half brothers pass unto the other side. I am humbled with my mere service in Nam and the genocide of Bosnia compared to what all 13 Brothers/Half Brothers served during WWII. Living in (Florida) Heavens waiting room makes me condescend to the sacrifices far greater than I could ever comprehend. I have no other hope than my own spouse outlasts me, for I am placed between America's past and future. So please forgive me if I pass on the VFW,AM Legion,Fleet Reserve, Naval Special Warfare Reunions, as I still have a debit of Honor to pay towards the Greatest Generation. Just a family responsibility as the last son of the youngest son of a family of immigrants that served this country in order to gain passage into it's sovereign soil. Hope Ya'll can forgive my perspective.
    dwight55 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I have long wondered where the courage comes from to stand in the front of a Mike boat knowing full well that as soon as the ramp drops, in all likelihood, your time on Earth is about to end. Omaha, Utah, Juneau, Sword and Gold. They saved the world.

Just listening to the official announcement from Allied Headquarters brings chills. I could see Americans waking up and huddling around their radios hoping beyond hope that their soldier or sailor was safe. So many were not.
    The MG42 had a firing rate of 1200-1500 rounds per minute. I couldn't imagine running into that.
    SGT E likes this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Quote Originally Posted by keith9365 View Post
    The MG42 had a firing rate of 1200-1500 rounds per minute. I couldn't imagine running into that.
    Had two Great Uncles and a grandpa that were infantry that fought across Europe and survived even though all were Infantry...I'm getting old and have a buncha Nazi stuff sent home by them I inherited...I got nobody to leave it to so its going up for auction soon..Sad nobody will know their stories except me.

One old friend named Dutch told me about being a scout with two jeeps and a halftrack in France...Always on the wrong side of the line.
    He got woken one morning while staying in a farmhouse by German mortar shells coming through the second story roof and exploding in the basement below them! He could name a dozen towns and name the guys that died in them and still tell me what they were like...how they died and tell me about their families......From my experiences I know half a dozen that I can never forget....Their wives...their kids...Moms and dads...

Indeed....the Greatest Generation! Great find Boss.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The greatest generation!

74th anniversary of D-Day. The greatest generation..... a slide show of pics in link.

Celebrate The 74th Anniversary Of D-Day With These Epic Photos [SLIDESHOW]
    http://smokeroom.com/2018/06/06/d-day-photos/
    patrioteer, Annie and Boss Dog like this.

Look and listen again, remember again, for 2019.
    Prepared One and Slippy like this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

.[/QUOTE]Just listening to the official announcement from Allied Headquarters brings chills. I could see Americans waking up and huddling around their radios hoping beyond hope that their soldier or sailor was safe. So many were not.

I had three uncles in the war. One was crippled at Anzio by shrapnel. Due to censorship when Uncle Albert would write to grandma they had a "code". Their last name was Arnette. If uncle Albert signed his last name crossing each t in Arnette separately it meant for grandma to gather the church ladies and pray hard! If the t's were crossed together he was relatively safe (for a rifleman in Patton's army)
    Last edited by keith9365; 06-06-2019 at 05:42 AM.
    Boss Dog likes this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links