All Communication Lost
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

All Communication Lost

This is a discussion on All Communication Lost within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey everyone, A thought just crossed my mind. If SHTF and the government took on a role that it shouldn't we could probably expect to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: All Communication Lost

All Communication Lost

Hey everyone,

A thought just crossed my mind.
    If SHTF and the government took on a role that it shouldn't we could probably expect to see military patrolled streets, phones lines backed up, and the Internet being monitored as a form of communication (as if it isn't already).
    But, what are the odds that ham radio could be monitored or controlled? Is it possible?
    Just a thought. I don't know much about ham radio yet but I'd like to think that it is a very relieve form of communication.

-Frank

My understanding of Hamm is that anybody can hear similiar to CB but much more powerful. Thats why theres licensing and control of it. SHTF comms is HAMM then CB then Hand Held radios then Carrier pigeons or Playboy Bunnies. That last one was recently debated in another thread.

Theres Hamm pros that will come along and clear up my poor information on Hamm specifics.

You're right Asteroidx, when using voice modes anyone can listen in but there are digital modes that just sound like sqeeks and beeps. I'm sure if the government wanted to monitor digital modes they would have the radios and computor programs needed to decode us and listen in. I have been playing around with a mode called psk31 and it's pretty cool. You can set up macros of info like what radio and antenna you are using and you can just type in the message you want to send. Just looked in my log book and the last psk31 contact I made was to Pisa Italy from my home here in SW Ohio.

Waznyf, you should check into getting your ham license. Not hard to pass the test at all. Try to find a local amatuer radio club and they will be glad to help you with test dates and study materials. Check out qrz.com . There are some practice test there that will at least let you see the type of questions on the test. Also lots of articles and so forth.
    waznyf likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

All Communication Lost

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    You're right Asteroidx, when using voice modes anyone can listen in but there are digital modes that just sound like sqeeks and beeps. I'm sure if the government wanted to monitor digital modes they would have the radios and computor programs needed to decode us and listen in. I have been playing around with a mode called psk31 and it's pretty cool. You can set up macros of info like what radio and antenna you are using and you can just type in the message you want to send. Just looked in my log book and the last psk31 contact I made was to Pisa Italy from my home here in SW Ohio.

Waznyf, you should check into getting your ham license. Not hard to pass the test at all. Try to find a local amatuer radio club and they will be glad to help you with test dates and study materials. Check out qrz.com . There are some practice test there that will at least let you see the type of questions on the test. Also lots of articles and so forth.
    Thanks Hayden I am already looking into it. Found two local clubs and I will check out that website for sure thank you.
    Only concern is the money needed to start up. Would you recommend used products with ham?
    Also, is it best to get a radio that you could use at any level instead of having to upgrade as you are allowed more power etc.

On July 6, 2012 Executive Order -- Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions was signed by the pres

Executive Order -- Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions | The White House

This does give the gov the right to control the airwaves in case of nat'l emergency.
    waznyf and Meangreen like this.

All Communication Lost

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    On July 6, 2012 Executive Order -- Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions was signed by the pres

Executive Order -- Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions | The White House

This does give the gov the right to control the airwaves in case of nat'l emergency.
    Great! That's exactly what I didn't want to hear lol

This isn't stopping me. I am an extra class and plan on having my radio's up and running. If nothing else I can monitor what his going on elsewhere. I could be wrong but I think a NVIS antenna (also known as a cloud warmer) will allow closer in comm and be harder to track since the signal goes straight up.

Inceptor it looks like they could do anything they want but I doubt if they would take the ham bands because the rest of the world would still be using them You never know tho. Waznyf, alot of the gear would be the same. Used gear is fine, we tend to take good care of our rigs. I just looked at a chart and it seems the technician ticket limits you to 200 watts on some bands. The higher class license goes to 1500 watts but you don't need that much power. Been a ham for 25 years and my most powerful radio is a Yeasu ft100 that puts out 100 watt max. I use full power on voice but lots less power for the digital modes. There are some operators that work QRP, 5 watts or less. I worked a station in NC years ago that was only running a half watt CW (morse code). As far as cost I think I paid about 500 for my Yeasu but it covers most of the bands and modes. My 2 meter radio runs 5 to 50 watts and new it was 139 I think. Someone on here the other day mentioned a dual band on Amazon for less than 60 bucks. I found that handheld radio on ebay for 47 and free shipping so will see what the quality is. Should be here tomorrow. 2meter and 440mhz 4 or 5 watts also recieves the fm band if you want to listen to some music. Baofeng I think is the brand of radio.
    waznyf likes this.

All Communication Lost

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Inceptor it looks like they could do anything they want but I doubt if they would take the ham bands because the rest of the world would still be using them You never know tho. Waznyf, alot of the gear would be the same. Used gear is fine, we tend to take good care of our rigs. I just looked at a chart and it seems the technician ticket limits you to 200 watts on some bands. The higher class license goes to 1500 watts but you don't need that much power. Been a ham for 25 years and my most powerful radio is a Yeasu ft100 that puts out 100 watt max. I use full power on voice but lots less power for the digital modes. There are some operators that work QRP, 5 watts or less. I worked a station in NC years ago that was only running a half watt CW (morse code). As far as cost I think I paid about 500 for my Yeasu but it covers most of the bands and modes. My 2 meter radio runs 5 to 50 watts and new it was 139 I think. Someone on here the other day mentioned a dual band on Amazon for less than 60 bucks. I found that handheld radio on ebay for 47 and free shipping so will see what the quality is. Should be here tomorrow. 2meter and 440mhz 4 or 5 watts also recieves the fm band if you want to listen to some music. Baofeng I think is the brand of radio.
    Thanks so much for the info.
    So one radio and its equipment can last you a lifetime if you take care of it.
    One thing that would appeal to me is purchasing a radio and not needing a new one for a long time if ever.

Naw, I don't think they will shut down the bands but I do believe they will monitor them closely.

DHS already has a policy that all employees must have a ham license now. All they seem to be getting though is a tech. I am a VE and have been on a number of sessions for them. DHS also controls all of the emergency volunteer organizations except Red Cross (although I think they have a major hand in this only behind the scenes).
    hayden likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links