Any Whippet owners out there??
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Any Whippet owners out there??

This is a discussion on Any Whippet owners out there?? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm in the market for a new puppy!!! It's taken me 3 years to get past the loss of my sweet Reggie. I think it's ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Any Whippet owners out there??

Super Moderator

Exclamation Any Whippet owners out there??

I'm in the market for a new puppy!!! It's taken me 3 years to get past the loss of my sweet Reggie. I think it's time, I'm ready for a new friend. Funny that after I lost him, I swore off ever getting a new dog. Now, here I am, crazy excited. =)
    After doing a lot of research...I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Whippet. Anyone ever have one?
    Slippy likes this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

I had a Basenji once they are similar - sort of.

Highly intellegent. High energy. Mischevious. Creative. Easy to train but manipulative little critters.
    I loved that dog, but I'd never get another one. Doesn't make it wrong for you, just for us.

Good luck on your search!
    Mish and kevincali like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

my sister has adopted greyhounds - the whippet cousin - no thanks .... a butt shaved poodle is more independant and eazier to house than a greyhound .... my sister probably dedicates 5 hours a day to those dogs - they need to be pampered almost constantly ....
    Slippy, Mish and GTGallop like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Check the local pound. My best dogs have all been mutts.
    Mish and Slippy's-Attorney like this.
    To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

I'm happy for your decision to get another dog Mishie, good for you!

As far as a dog called a Whippet I have no idea. One downside is if the world goes to crap, I doubt the Whippet would be more than an appetizer, not much meat on them bones.

Anyway, I'm glad I watched the video because I first thought it was the song from the 80's group, Devo. The band members resemble Whippets if that's worth anything.

Good luck!

Mish, Boss Dog, A Watchman and 1 others like this.

As Warrior said, the whippet is related to Greyhounds. We rescued a one year old Greyhound that lived with us until she passed at fifteen Total sweetheart, and we miss her. She was a couch potato, but when given the opportunity to run, she was like the wind.

We had friends who had a whippet. Unlike their cousins, they are very "active", and you better have a high fence because they have the ability to really jump high!

Have you considered a Greyhound Rescue? I guarantee, you wouldn't be sorry.

We now have a mutt, thanks to a damn lady who was running an adoption day at Petco, who told my 8-year old son that the dog he was playing with would be put down if no one adopted him. You can guess how that turned out.... Sigh.......
    Last edited by SittingElf; 04-03-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    Mish, Denton and Slippy like this.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    I had a Basenji once they are similar - sort of.

Highly intellegent. High energy. Mischevious. Creative. Easy to train but manipulative little critters.
    I loved that dog, but I'd never get another one. Doesn't make it wrong for you, just for us.

Good luck on your search!
    You just described my mutt, honey! (husky/possible coyote).

VERY active, very intelligent, and very manipulative! But extremely loyal, friendly (if you're friendly), and very well trained. She knows sit, stay, speak, lay down, high five, off, nope, etc....

Any Whippet owners out there??-imageuploadedbytapatalk1459703168.506410.jpg

Thank you Mish for wanting to give a pup a home! I know you want a whippet, so be sure to check out the pounds first, and then rescues. I rescued a German shepherd in 2009 and she was such a sweetheart. She passed away, and now I'm babysitting another shepherd. My mutt mix is the offspring of my old husky and a "yellow eyed dog". She has never seen a pound, never been abused, and yes, is very very spoiled (I've had her since she was about 2 weeks old/bottle fed her). There is a definite difference in a pup that's a rescue and a pup that grew up spoiled.

Any Whippet owners out there??-imageuploadedbytapatalk1459703429.089576.jpg

Good luck!
    Mish, Slippy and GTGallop like this.

Mish,whatever pup you get,please adopt from a shelter.there are so many great ones there.all of ours have been from shelters.save a life.
    Mish, Slippy and GTGallop like this.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

Super Moderator

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I am looking to adopt if it is the right scenario. I just passed on a whippet mix because they needed me to take it too quickly. It has other families interested, so I knew it would find a good home.

Whippets actually aren't all that easy to come across. I might have to adopt a young dog around a year plus. At about that time the owners figure out they aren't going to be a good competitive dogs. BUT...they are highly trained!! So bonus.
    Denton, Slippy, GTGallop and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

Yes that is a bonus! I spent many restless nights up every hour on the hour to potty train honey. Many many hours working with her for "sit/stay/speak/lay down etc. but I would do it all over again. I wouldn't pass on a trained dog though haha. At a year, they're still teachable, and will probably still be very puppy like. Honey is about to be 4 I believe, and is just now starting to drop puppy habits, although she does still dig if I haven't exercised/walked her.

My neighbor growing up had a whippet/pit/lab mix that was a beast! Such a good dog too. He was kind like a lab, protective like a pit, and fast like a whippet.
    Slippy, Mish and MI.oldguy like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links