Why Do You Prep?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why Do You Prep?

This is a discussion on Why Do You Prep? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have been prepping for awhile now. An old co-worker came by that is just starting to prep. I showed him some of the things ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Why Do You Prep?

Why Do You Prep?

I have been prepping for awhile now. An old co-worker came by that is just starting to prep. I showed him some of the things I do and some of my mistakes. The big question came up Why?
    First, my church has always suggested we be prepared, so I think that may have started me thinking. Second, find it kind of enjoyable. Third, I lived in Greece in the early to mid seventies, what I see in my country today, I saw there then. I have some expat friends that still live there and it is worse than we hear, they would leave but are stuck due to grandkids live there. They tell me there are restrictions on "Hoarding". And I guess the thought of an EMP or such from the crazy in N. Korea has me a tad nervous.
    So why do you prep?
    Last edited by Gunn; 04-02-2016 at 09:46 AM.
    Slippy likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Just common sense, given what I see, read and hear these days.

Voltaire was right, there is nothing common about common sense since it requires good judgment and good judgment is not all that common.

Because I can and want to.
    For me almost four decades of it has made it a way of life.
    At any time conditions could change socially speaking that would be detrimental to our lives.
    It will keep us from becoming dependent on GOV handouts, or the lack of them if they decide to practice eugenics.
    My preparedness has carried us through winter and summer storms whose aftermaths have lasted for weeks.
    Every time one of those events occurred it reinforced the need to.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-02-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

No longer here.

Living in Hurricane Country, we get tested every season on our Emergency Preparedness in one manner or another. A week waiting for electricity to be restored to living under a tarp roof until shingles and lumber make it's way down. Being prepared in Hurricane Country is just a way of life, even if it's only having a well stocked bar.
    paraquack, Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Natural disaster, civil unrest. Need a reason look around. There are basically 3 types those on the roof with a save me sign, those standing in water cold hungry and scared waiting on a government rescue. Then there are those with the sign that say we are ok go help them. I prefer to take care of our self rather that reply on others.
    paraquack, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

So I can sleep. I can't imagine NOT being ready for a fire, storm, a breakin, whatever. It's in my genes, I guess.
    Auntie likes this.

My Dad started in the 70's because we lived in California and there were earthquakes that take out power and water.. We always had cabinets full of food in the garage just in case.
    1895gunner and Slippy like this.
    Hidden Content

Lord, make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who seek to destroy me, grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine, let not my last thought be - 'If I only had my gun'- and Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of warm brass,
    Amen

I continue to increase our preps...because I read the news every day.

The world is going to a hand-basket...and in an ever-increasingly fast pace. Very disturbing times.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Like M118LR said.
    Something IS going to happen. May be EMP pulse, may be collapse of economy/society, foreign attack, attack from our own government, you name it.
    Around these parts, I've already had twisters touch down a few miles north and south of my area...did a lot of damage. We are WAAAAY overdue for a hurricane so odds are it'll be within the next couple of years at least.

I always tell people who ask that question it's not a matter of "if", but "what" and "when".
    Last edited by Sedition; 04-02-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedition View Post
    Like M118LR said.
    Something IS going to happen. May be EMP pulse, may be collapse of economy/society, foreign attack, attack from our own government, you name it.
    Around these parts, I've already had twisters touch down a few miles north and south of my area...did a lot of damage. We are WAAAAY overdue for a hurricane so odds are it'll be withing the next couple of years at least.

I always tell people who ask that question it's not a matter if "if", but "what" and "when".
    Yup! A tornado touched down on Robins Air Force Base yesterday, and wind gusts of 80+ MPH in the area. We still don't know if the house we rent while my wife is stationed there is damaged yet because she and my son won't return until tomorrow, following a Disney Cruise they've been on while I toil away here in Nigeria. Expecting downed limbs in the yard, and the pool overflowing with lots of debris. Hopefully, the roof is intact!
    Slippy likes this.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links