Have you ever saved someone?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Have you ever saved someone? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Meaning, have you ever stopped to attend to a car wreck that just happened? Or for your military guys/gals, I know you have some good ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Have you ever saved someone?

Meaning, have you ever stopped to attend to a car wreck that just happened? Or for your military guys/gals, I know you have some good stories on this topic.

Myself, I have stopped at EVERY car wreck before EMT have arrived and assisted in some way. There have been situations that I came upon where obviously no help could be performed and made me cry like a baby hours later from seeing such a site.

The one I feel most proud about was when a van flipped on a wet road (Interstate) and I was the first to come upon it. It threw a 6 year old girl out, but she survived and was out in the middle of the interstate. Rain was coming down with visability of about 50 feet and I quickly grabbed her and ran to the side. Busted out the back of the van windows (van driver/passenger side was locked) with my baton on my keychain and grabbed a <1 year old out of the car seat. I was standing there holding the 6 year old and the baby in the pouring rain while others stopped and got the parents out. I calmed them down during this and wiped the blood away from the little girl so she wouldn't see the large gash in her arm.

They all lived.
    hayden and Watercanlady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    Meaning, have you ever stopped to attend to a car wreck that just happened? Or for your military guys/gals, I know you have some good stories on this topic.

Myself, I have stopped at EVERY car wreck before EMT have arrived and assisted in some way. There have been situations that I came upon where obviously no help could be performed and made me cry like a baby hours later from seeing such a site.

The one I feel most proud about was when a van flipped on a wet road (Interstate) and I was the first to come upon it. It threw a 6 year old girl out, but she survived and was out in the middle of the interstate. Rain was coming down with visability of about 50 feet and I quickly grabbed her and ran to the side. Busted out the back of the van windows (van driver/passenger side was locked) with my baton on my keychain and grabbed a <1 year old out of the car seat. I was standing there holding the 6 year old and the baby in the pouring rain while others stopped and got the parents out. I calmed them down during this and wiped the blood away from the little girl so she wouldn't see the large gash in her arm.

They all lived.
    I have not. But if i have to i think ill be ready

I have not had to actually save someone's life. But I have assisted at an accident or pulled someone from a ditch. Congrats to you survival it takes a special person to get involved...
    MikeyPrepper and survival like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

When I was a volunteer firefighter I sat with People holding their hands,or comforting them while We cut them out of their vehicles at wrecks,and would prep and carry them on the board to ambulance,and I think it helped them?The only life I ever"saved"was a kitten from a burning house.I think it made the little girls troubles go away for a bit when I brought that snot soaked kitten to Her.
    survival likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    When I was a volunteer firefighter I sat with People holding their hands,or comforting them while We cut them out of their vehicles at wrecks,and would prep and carry them on the board to ambulance,and I think it helped them?The only life I ever"saved"was a kitten from a burning house.I think it made the little girls troubles go away for a bit when I brought that snot soaked kitten to Her.
    Same here, but after 8-1/2 years, the number saved from actually doing something like CPR or saving a person from drowning is not a very good number, but we/I did try. Our department response time was very good, but being very rural, ambulance/life flight times where quite long, so that was/is a factor.
    Last edited by ekim; 01-09-2013 at 03:19 PM.

A number of times including delivering a baby once. Pretty much done a lot in both combat situations and civilian life.
    survival likes this.

yes I have. Multiple times.
    survival likes this.

In youtube vids of all sorts of crashes, people seem to fall into 3 groups-
    1- the chickenshits who turn around and walk away with heads in hands
    2- the robots who stand just looking at the wreck
    3- The heroes who run up and get stuck right in to rescue the victims

Check this out, the downed choppers engine is screaming like a banshee and could explode or catch fire anytime but there are plenty of heroes who get stuck straight in and rescue the pilot-

PS- i've never rescued anybody myself, closest was when I saw a glider force-land in a farmer's field half a mile away so I ran as fast as I could to help him, vaulting farm gates and hedges like an Olympic hurdler but he was fine. His support vehicle soon turned up so I helped him and his mates push the glider to the nearest road for dismantling and crating
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 01-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    survival likes this.

More than a few times I have been fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time, to be able to do something for someone else in dire need. Its ran the gamut from saving a fishing buddy that was drowning when I was a teen, to providing rescue and assistance in a major vehicle accident to saving 16 of my severely burned ship mates after an explosion ripped through a shipboard space despite 3rd degree burns on 55% of my body. Racked up quiet a few Bozo Buttons (medals) while in the military. Never veiwed as being a hero or anything like that but more so of just doing the right thing when it needed to be done. The hardest part for me is those you tried your best to help but couldnt do anything more than comfort them in their last minutes of life. That definitely sucked the most!

I have always had a knack for seeing a "Train Wreck" before it actually starts to happen. When things are crazy I have always had the ability to not panic and stay cool as a cucumber when everyone around me is freaking out and running around like a chicken with their head cut off. I am fortunate enough to have gotten a lot of training in the military in advanced first aid and I keep a day pack full of first aid equipment and some medical supplies in my truck. As such I am often times able to provide some pretty extensive first aid and provide critical information to first responders that are in route before they even arrive. Guess it s just some those early days of being a Bot Scout coming out in me...being prepared.
    survival and 9UC like this.

Just to digress, call me hard-hearted, but if I saw somebody driving like a f-----g maniac and smash into a tree, no way would I pull him from the burning wreck, I'd think "Burn you bastard, burn!"..

(PS- but if there were innocent passengers in the car, I'd probably help them get out, but i'd leave the driver to fry)
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 01-09-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links