Tips for House Hardening
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tips for House Hardening

This is a discussion on Tips for House Hardening within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Any great tips for preparing your house against a roving band of Marauders?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tips for House Hardening

Tips for House Hardening

Any great tips for preparing your house against a roving band of Marauders?
    The best that we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed. - Alexander Hamilton

I do agree with you saul in the fact that if someone wants somthing bad enough they'll get it. But if your able to kill most of their family and friends who are raiding you house, or hurting them to the point were pain is to much they would obviously leave. I would suggest plywood over windows. Im not the expert at staying at home, as i am only focused at bugging out at the moment, i however thought i would make a post because i disagree with you for the most part saul.
    Not the way to treat you beloved ruler. Throw down your weapons or you die - Skeletor

the thread made me laugh at the title...sorry im immature

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The front room on my house is small but has large windows on three sides. I cut 4 pieces of plywood 2 foot by 4 foot to cover the bottom half of the 4 windows. Then I bought some news blinds for each window. Took the old blinds and stapled them to the plywood. When they are in place everything looks normal from the outside. If I ever need to put them to use they would be screwed in place and reinforced with some 2X6's. The panels are stored behind the couch for now completely out of sight.
    survival likes this.

Great stuff

Another thing you can do is replace the screws on your doors strike plate. Many times the screws are as short as half inch. Replaced mine with 3 inch screws. Also on my back door it has a metal frame so replaced the mounting screws on that door frame with the 3 inch screws. My son in law is set on having deadbolt locks that require a key to exit the house. I understand his thinking since there is glass in the door that could be broken and reach in and unlock the door. Both my doors are solid steel so no worries there. My problem with his thinking is what if the house is on fire and your in your pjs, where did you leave those keys? I also plan on making a triangular frame out of 2x4's that would go under the doorknob and butt up against the base of the chimney.
    survival likes this.

The Good Cop

Excellent observation on the hinge and strike plate screws on your doors. Screws long enough to go thru the jamb and into the framing behind it are the way to go. 3 & 1/2" long or longer.
    And you brought up another good point as well about the deadbolt. There is an old Army axiom that says "Make it too hard for the enemy to get in and it will be too hard for you to get out." This pertains to any perimeter whether it be house, bunker, base camp, or night time laager.
    hayden and survival like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by saul4paul View Post
    do you thank every person be out to gat you? that must be a bad way to leve do you look over your shulder all day long? i leave my door unlocked
    We live on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town of 2,000 people.
    And as I'm sitting here, the front door is open, there are four dogs at my feet, and a 44 revolver in my pocket.
    Nah, I ain't scared. Just prepared.
    HVU and Mr Ed like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I like your style Rice Paddy. My BOL is similiar but off the grid.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by saul4paul View Post
    do you thank every person be out to gat you? that must be a bad way to leve do you look over your shulder all day long? i leave my door unlocked
    When we bought our place 12 years ago nobody in the neighborhood locked their doors or their windows. It's a nice semi-suburbarn / farmland area and pretty quiet.
    Unfortunately that has changed over the past decade... no shortage of burglaries, invasions, etc. - Today there's 3M security film on the ground floor windows, steel cased doors with "door clubs", video cameras and a rather comprehensive security system that has already thwarted a number of unwanted "visitors". When my GF works from the home office, she does so with a .45 at her side.
    When I'm kickin' back in the evening after a day at the office, the Sig I carry every day is still on my person.
    The unfortunate truth is that the world has exceeded it's quota of bad guys who would rather steal than earn and are willing to inflict harm upon innocent people for a few bucks and/or prescription medicines. Even in "nice neighborhoods", the unprepared all to often become statistics.
    survival and Rocky like this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links