Ethical Question....
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ethical Question....

This is a discussion on Ethical Question.... within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; So how unethical is it to buy something on sale at one place with a GC and then return it for more store credit at ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ethical Question....

Ethical Question....

So how unethical is it to buy something on sale at one place with a GC and then return it for more store credit at a different store when you know that they have things you actually want.

I have a best buy GC that I don't want to waste on electronics, but would rather buy outdoor gear, and there is an item they have that the outdoor store sells for about 20 bucks more when not on sale, how bad of a human would I be for doing this?
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

If the retailer knew, what would they say? Kind of sounds like you are stealing at least part of the purchase.

When you return it, they should ask for the original receipt... or check your purchase in the computer. If they fail to do this... they have set themselves up for this type of activity. I don't say this to say you are right... only that if this act is possible, the store has created the problem for themselves since many people are not very ethical.

So... your real question is: Can you justify what you are doing in your own mind? Obviously, you could take the GC to the second store and use it's face value. Instead, you are using the system to get free money. Someone has to absorb that loss. Usually... it's not the store. They just jack up prices to account for loss. If loss increases... they jack up prices again. So... you are actually spreading the cost of your advantage to the rest of the shoppers at that store.

Back to the real question: Can you live with that?
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason (co-author of the Bill of Rights)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
    "If guns don't make people safer...then why do world leaders have armed security?" - Author Unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WoadWarrior View Post
    When you return it, they should ask for the original receipt... or check your purchase in the computer. If they fail to do this... they have set themselves up for this type of activity. I don't say this to say you are right... only that if this act is possible, the store has created the problem for themselves since many people are not very ethical.
    Actually best buy will not return it without the original rec't or being able to look it up on the computer. When I didn't have the rec't they were able to find my purchase and exchange it.

I'm not returning it to best buy, the problem is I have money to best buy that I will never use, i hate that store, electronics don't have a large place in my preps. I don't feel good doing it but I don't want to waste 60 bucks there on something I don't give a crap about. At least this way the other store is still getting a product that they can sell at their normal price and i will spend my money in their store (probably spending more then just the cards value)...I dunno, i won't feel good doing it but I'd feel worse letting the gc go unused, and I have tried selling it for a discount to people....
    preppermama likes this.
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Ah... so this wasn't deliberately devious? If not... then spend it as you wish with a clear conscious.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason (co-author of the Bill of Rights)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
    "If guns don't make people safer...then why do world leaders have armed security?" - Author Unknown

See if someone will swap you some or most of the gift card value, then get what you want at the other store. It was a gift card so you don't actually lose anything.

sell it on craigslist @75%.
    or re-gift it to some one for xmas
    dont they have ham radios and trail gps shit? they got a lot of shit. buy xmas gifts for other people.
    get them back up key chain fob deals back yer shit up and keep it in yer bob...

the most important relationship you have is with integrity. never let something small stand between you and and everything yer meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by acidlittle View Post
    So how unethical is it to buy something on sale at one place with a GC and then return it for more store credit at a different store when you know that they have things you actually want.?
    If you have to ask this question, you have other problems. How unethical, is like asking how much is a little pregnant. As a mod do you tolerate unethical behavior on the board? Would you tolerate unethical behavior in your survival group? Do you get upset at your Congressman for their unethical behavior? By Rationalizing any behavior, you can become a monster quickly. Best not to go that route.
    shotlady likes this.
    It is an evil society that blames the tool for the actions of its user.

Quote Originally Posted by acidlittle View Post
    So how unethical is it to buy something on sale at one place with a GC and then return it for more store credit at a different store when you know that they have things you actually want.

I have a best buy GC that I don't want to waste on electronics, but would rather buy outdoor gear, and there is an item they have that the outdoor store sells for about 20 bucks more when not on sale, how bad of a human would I be for doing this?
    It's not unethical, its Retail Fraud and Illegal. Glad to see this forum is sponsoring illegal activity. Bye.
    dsdmmat and shotlady like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links