As a brief reminder for those who forgot or for many that didn't know
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on As a brief reminder for those who forgot or for many that didn't know within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; As a brief reminder for those who forgot or for many that didn't know Here is what happened, quietly, on January 1, 2016 Medicare tax ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Urinal Cake
  • 3 Post By Prepper News
  • 1 Post By Sasquatch
  • 1 Post By TacticalCanuck
  • 1 Post By jdjones3109

Thread: As a brief reminder for those who forgot or for many that didn't know

Here is what happened, quietly, on January 1, 2016

Medicare tax went from 1.45% to 2.35%

Top Income tax bracket went from 35% to 39.6%

Top Income payroll tax went from 37.4% to 52.2%

Capital Gains tax went from 15% to 28%

Dividend tax went from 15% to 39.6%

Estate tax went from 0% to 55%

A 3.5% Real Estate transaction tax was added.

Remember these facts:
    These taxes were all passed solely with Democrat votes.

Not a single Republican voted for these new taxes.

These taxes were all passed in the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare.

As a brief reminder for those who forgot or for many that didn't know-piss-obama.jpg
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

Oh my I did not know this. These are huge !

At some point during our trips to Costa Rica, I always have to ask my wife, "Tell me one more time why we stay in the U.S.?"
    On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Hope and change my friends. Hope and change.
    Urinal Cake likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Got any links? I can't find anything about a 55% estate tax.

January 16 is a day that major events happen.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Urinal Cake View Post

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	piss on obama.jpg†
Views:	220†
Size:	51.1 KB†
ID:	14482
    'Bama rolled

and that senile old fossil Bernie wants "the rich" taxed more - EVERYONE deserves the supreme deluxe med care package - no questions asked
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

And i thought canuck taxes were bad....
    cdell likes this.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

Not this nonsense again. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. It really irks me when people take things that they see on Facebook, Twitter, etc. and run with it. I don't know where you heard this nonsense, but it's been floating around for several years now. Even the parts that are true don't really matter unless you're someone who makes several hundred thousand dollars each year and that's not me or anyone I drink beers with!

What will happen to taxes on Jan. 1, 2015? Chain email gets tax rates all wrong | PolitiFact

Weíll take these claims in order:

"Here is what will happen on January 1, 2015"

To the extent that these tax rates were changed -- and as weíll see most of them didnít change in the way the email says -- the changes didnít take effect on Jan. 1, 2015 (or, for that matter, on Jan. 1, 2014). They took effect on Jan. 1, 2013.

That may seem like a minor difference, but in this case, it makes all the difference.

The tax rates that changed on Jan. 1, 2013, were all passed as part of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012. That was a bipartisan deal -- weíll discuss just how bipartisan in a bit -- that passed after the 2012 presidential election to avoid the "fiscal cliff." The "cliff" refers to the expiration of tax cuts originally passed under President George W. Bush.

The law made permanent many but not all of the Bush-era tax cuts that were set to expire anyway. So some people did see their tax rates go up, primarily upper-income taxpayers. Thatís what the email is attempting to spotlight, but it does so in a way that introduces a host of inaccuracies.

"Top Medicare tax went from 1.45% to 2.35%"

This tax hike, unlike the others, did indeed stem from the Affordable Care Act, and the tax rates listed in the email are accurate. (Oddly, this line wasnít included in the previous version of the email.) However, this hike, like the others, took effect on Jan. 1, 2013, not on New Yearís Day 2015. Itís also worth noting that most Americans wonít be affected -- it hits individuals earning $200,000 annually or married couples earning $250,000.

"Top Income tax bracket went from 35% to 39.6%"

The timing is wrong, but the numbers are correct. For 2015, the 39.6 percent rate is for individuals earning over $413,200 in taxable income or married couples earning at least $464,850.

"Top Income payroll tax went from 37.4% to 52.2%"

Usually, people think about income taxes and payroll taxes separately. But itís not uncommon for tax experts to look at the combination of income and payroll taxes together, because they give a sense of the overall burden of direct taxation on individuals. Thatís what the email did here.

On Jan. 1, 2013, the top combined rate for the income and payroll tax went from 37.9 percent to 42.5 percent, or 43.4 percent due to the additional Medicare tax in the health care law.

So if you just look at the federal rates, the email overstates the current top rate.

If you take state taxes into account, the email is closer, but still inaccurate. The Tax Foundation, a business-backed group, calculated 2013 combined tax rates for each state. The group found that the top marginal tax rate, averaged across all states, is 47.9 percent.

Of course, any state taxes would have been imposed by state governments, and thus were not part of the Affordable Care Act. And this would not be an apples-to-apples comparison; to make the comparison fair, the initial tax rate would need to be adjusted upward for state and local taxes as well.

"Capital Gains tax went from 15% to 28%"

On Jan. 1, 2013, the highest capital gains tax rate rose from 15 percent to 20 percent. The Affordable Care Actís additional 3.8 percent Medicare tax for high-income earners can be added to make it 23.8 percent. Either way you calculate it, the email exaggerates the amount of the increase. (And most households still pay nothing or 15 percent for capital gains, depending on their income.)

If you add in state and local capital gains taxes, the Tax Foundation says the current rate, averaged across the 50 states, is 28.7 percent, but Tax Foundation economist Kyle Pomerleau told us this is "sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison."

"Dividends tax went from 15% to 39.6%"

This line would have been correct if the Bush tax cuts had expired the way they were initially supposed to. But the December 2012 deal ended up going with a top marginal tax rate of 20 percent on dividend income instead of the pre-Bush rate of 39.6 percent on dividend income. It rose to 23.8 percent due to the high-income added Medicare tax under Obamacare.

So the final rate cited in the email is far higher than the current rate.

"Estate tax went from 0% to 55%"

Both ends of this claim are wrong. The estate tax was gradually wound down by the Bush-era tax cuts, disappearing entirely, for one year, in 2010. For 2011 and 2012 it was reimposed at 35 percent, then raised to 40 percent on Jan. 1, 2013 as part of the "fiscal cliff" bill.

Also, itís worth noting that the estate tax is heavily targeted at the very richest Americans. According to the Urban Institute-Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center, in recent years, the top 10 percent of income earners paid virtually all of the tax, with over half of that paid by the richest 0.1 percent. Indeed, estates with a gross value under $5.25 million donít even need to file a form with the Internal Revenue Service, and typically more than half of those who do have to file one are ultimately determined not to owe any estate tax.

"These taxes were all passed only with democrat votes, no republicans voted for these taxes. These taxes were all passed under the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare."

Most of these changes were passed as part of the 2012 fiscal cliff deal, which was enacted with bipartisan support. Facing expiration of the Bush tax cuts, which would have meant a massive tax increase up and down the income scale, both parties felt compelled to strike a deal that neither side was really enthusiastic about.

In the Senate, the measure passed by an 89-8 margin. Forty Republicans voted for it, and just five Republicans voted against it.

In the House, it passed by a 257-167 margin. While a majority of Republicans (151) voted against the bill, 85 Republicans did vote for it. So the email is flatly wrong to say that no Republicans voted for these taxes.

Itís also incorrect to say that these taxes were all raised by Obamacare. The health care law did add marginally to three of the five taxes -- it was the source of the Medicare tax hike from from 1.45 percent to 2.35 percent, and it added 0.9 percentage points to the top payroll tax rate and 3.8 percentage points to the the capital gains and the dividends tax. But the bulk of the increases came from the fiscal cliff deal. Less than a third of the total percentage-point increases cited by the email came from Obamacare.
    Last edited by jdjones3109; 01-21-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    DirtandYarn likes this.
    I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being. - Theodore Roosevelt

Sponsored Links