Plumbing vent question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Plumbing vent question

This is a discussion on Plumbing vent question within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; So in my basement I have a commode, washer and dryer and a big mud sink. Every time we do laundry during the pump out ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Plumbing vent question

Plumbing vent question

So in my basement I have a commode, washer and dryer and a big mud sink. Every time we do laundry during the pump out cycle the commode gurgles and has overflowed on occasion. I suspected a negative pressure situation so sure enough the vent pipe was utterly clogged because of a poor design. I cut it off and just put an air admittance valve there (that is code here). The drain lines are all clear all the way out to the tank and it is still doing the same damned thing. I'm also having to put a restricter valve on the tub to slow the drain as that floods the basement too unless I slow it down by about half. The septic tank was scoped and perks like a champ. It was emptied recently and the roof vent pipe was clear and still is.

My working theory is we need to slow down on our water use, install an AAV at every downstairs fixture and my 1 1/2" vent pies are just too small and get overwhelmed too easily when large volumes of water are introduced.

Any other ideas?
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

With the price of plastic pipe being what it is, . . . I'd run all separate lines out from each of those bad thingys.

The toilet needs to be on a 3 inch line, . . . the others can be 1 1/2, . . . cheap at twice the price.

You want at least 1/16 of an inch per foot drop from entrance to exit, . . . not over 1/8 of an inch per foot, especially on the toilet. Too little drop and it don't go no where, . . . too great a drop, . . . and the water goes, but leaves the solids, . . . which plugs up the system. THAT is the first thing I would look at, . . . solid stuff laying in the pipe.

And if your wife has a garbage disposal, . . . take it out, . . . throw it away, . . . buy her a scrap bucket at Loews, . . . blue 5 gal buckets are $2.99 with lid, . . . dump out back for the possums every day or so.

I don't know a bunch about plumbing, . . . but I did try to put a 1 1/2 inch thru the roof vent when we started building our house, . . . inspector made me change it to a 3", said I would have all kinds of trouble if I didn't change it.

Have not had any problems at all with our system.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Last edited by dwight55; 12-22-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    Slippy, 8301 and csi-tech like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Being a 3 rd gen Plumber, I cant recall the last 1-1/2 vent pipe we installed everything is 2 or larger, also FYI dont have a much exp with basement plumbing, Good luck
    {GM Consulting Service}
    Revolutions Started, Lions Tamed,
    Assassinations Plotted, Bars Emptied,
    Governments Run, Widows Wooed,
    Uprisings Quelled, Wars Fought, Golf Matches Fixed,
    Pack Trips Guided & Lost

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If your Tub Toilet and Lav are all on 1-1/2 you will nneed to change it 3 or 4 vent
    csi-tech likes this.
    {GM Consulting Service}
    Pack Trips Guided & Lost

Toilets are always 3 or 4 inch, and tubs and lavs are 2 inch, tubs toilets and lavs are 3 or 4
    {GM Consulting Service}
    Pack Trips Guided & Lost

I would consider increasing the vent size at the tank.
    You might be having pneumatic snubbing from lack of sufficient venting.
    It sounds like the water is going by the roof vents then bumps the air that is trapped outside in the soil pipe.
    Just a guess from trying to visualize the system.
    Remove the cover and test flush, at least that will rule out tank venting.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 12-22-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    dwight55 and csi-tech like this.

Great ideas and thank you all. I'm going to bed but when I wake up, Oh the fun I will have. God bless us, every one.

What kind of pump? Is everything going into a common "sump pit"? Is toilet on it's own pump and pit?
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Do you have a any trees or large bushes near the drain line to the septic tank? These can grow and crush/strangle the drain line. The line would have a reduced flow and cause backup. It's not an easy fix, backhoe to dig up the line, cut the roots, cut tree, install new line.

Otherwise, you said the tank was scoped, never saw that before, we had the same thing and had the septic tank pumped out. Every 7 or 8 years or so we get that done. Not to get too personal but do you use those butt wipes, they don't break down.

I'm real particular about what goes in the septic tank. I freaked last time it was pumped out and saw a Q tip. They have a scope that goes into your leach field and checks the field lines for problems. Sort of like the little lipstick cameras we used to slide under doors or drop through ceilings before we'd kick in your door and arrest you. (provided we had a search warrant naming and identifying the exact dwelling and location to be searched and an arrest warrant both sworn by affirmation before a judge containing probable cause of the specific items sought, that the person we intended to arrest was likely on the premises and that the hazardous nature of the warrant was such that a highly skilled response by tactical operators was warranted to ensure the safety of the public, the Offender and other first Responders) I throw that in these days.

Yeah, no sump pump but I'd give my left arm for one. The cheapest option right now I guess, is to introduce as much air into the piping as possible by inserting Ts between the 1 1/2" line that will allow a 2" stack pipe to go up where I will install a Studor/AAV valve. I think I got something right so far, It smells a damned sight better down there. There must have been at least some gas escaping through the pea traps. The shit hit the fan in this house, and it's time to go to war.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links