Interstate highway on-ramp gates
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Interstate highway on-ramp gates within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm new on the forum, and apologize if this question/topic has come up before. I've noticed the (relatively) recent installation of gates at the entrance ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Interstate highway on-ramp gates

I'm new on the forum, and apologize if this question/topic has come up before. I've noticed the (relatively) recent installation of gates at the entrance ramps onto interstate highways. I've been told they are for barring interstate access during snow emergencies, major accidents, etc. I have not ever seen them used for such purposes, and I suspect they may be there for other purposes. Can anyone shed more light on these gates?

Banned

In northern states and Canada gates to stop people from getting on the interstate have been around for at least 20 years, not in the cities but on open stretches of road.

I live in the midwest, they are commonly found north of I80 on all the interstates, have been there for years. They often close the interstates during snow emergencies. Theoretically ALL public roads are closed during snow emergencies, they just can't really block them off... but since interstates are entirely controlled access, the gates shut them down.

In the northern midwest, these gates have been there for decades.

They are also used (theoretically) to close interstates if there are dangerous accidents/spills that are causing traffic to back up (because unlike normal roads you can't just take an intersection at the next block).

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Two words...

Bolt Cutters
    Slippy likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

They use them here in Tennessee to keep the liberals from using our good roads.

Gates are also on Interstates in Gulf States for Hurricane Evacuation to reroute traffic a certain direction.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotFlamethrower View Post
    They use them here in Tennessee to keep the liberals from using our good roads.
    No such luck in keeping them off the road, but they are used on a stretch of I75 near a paper mill due to excessive fog. Had a bad wreck in the 90's that killed a number of people.

I've never seen any in my area. On the rare occasion that we get snow the TXDOT closes off certain overpasses and bridges with portable barriers and Hazzard lights. We don't have enough equipment out here to sand or salt the roads. People out here can't drive in it either, they think 4WD makes them invincible and drive like normal. It's chaos.

We don't have those barriers here in Michigan either. At least none that I have seen.
    AquaHull likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

We have some here in Houston as well. They have been installed up north for years. Traffic control for Hurricanes here and snow up north
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links