Have you ever tasted the long-term storage food? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Have you ever tasted the long-term storage food?

This is a discussion on Have you ever tasted the long-term storage food? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Lucky Jim... I'm just curious... do you spent most of the UK's drizzly overcast days in front of the fireplace researching obscure bits of trivia ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Have you ever tasted the long-term storage food?

Lucky Jim... I'm just curious... do you spent most of the UK's drizzly overcast days in front of the fireplace researching obscure bits of trivia for us?

Another thing: I'm a hopeless cook but I think I heard somewhere once that boiling or overheating vegetables will destroy the vitamins in them and make them worthless at providing nutrition, is that true?

Well... I use the water I boil them in instead of pouring it down the sink.... under the belief that if any nutritional value is lost... it was either destroyed by heat... or is in the left over water. So... why not make it a soup base? I think for most products... too much heat can destroy the nutritional value... the exception is some roots which require heat (and in some magical process changes them) to make them more digestible.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason (co-author of the Bill of Rights)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
    "If guns don't make people safer...then why do world leaders have armed security?" - Author Unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WoadWarrior View Post
    Joec - my problem with Mountain House is the cost vs the calories. Individually, Mountain House is over $12 per pouch, and an MRE costs me $7.71. Plus... an MRE has around 10 times the calories. Yes... weight is an issue.... but the ounce per calorie ratio is still better with MREs. I haven't tried bulk purchases of MH or MREs yet... so I haven't worked the numbers for that.
    I agree that the MRE's have more calories than Mountain House I'm just not a fan of the taste and texture but do have about a years supply for 2 people. So far I only have 4 foods from Mountain House that I would eat all are entries. As for taste it is Wise or Go Food but Wise wins as you don't have to heat the water though it is faster if you do not necessary. I also like the texture of the Wise a bit over the Go as I find them a bit wetter. All of them can stand some spicing up but when it comes to surviving it beats old can's of dog/cat food for sure.

Most of this stuff as well as store bought foods will last longer than its expiration date however my advise it to test the texture and smell before using it in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by WoadWarrior View Post
    AlanVT.... I'm looking for seeds WITH gluten... to help hold the flour together. If I just use acorn or clover flower... it will break apart too easily. Usually, you mix 50-50 with store bought flour to extend your supplies. But... for me... I need the gluten. I'm experimenting with pecan flour right now... and am hoping the oil in the pecans will help hold things together. I'll do a follow up post after I've figured it out.

Joec - my problem with Mountain House is the cost vs the calories. Individually, Mountain House is over $12 per pouch, and an MRE costs me $7.71. Plus... an MRE has around 10 times the calories. Yes... weight is an issue.... but the ounce per calorie ratio is still better with MREs. I haven't tried bulk purchases of MH or MREs yet... so I haven't worked the numbers for that.

Karsten... MREs come with heat pouches that are water activated. My MREs are always eaten hot. With my body weight, I need 1800-2000 calories a day to sustain. In a high-intensity environment (even something as simple as camping with a few day hikes to sight see) I burn more. Actually hunting or gathering or patrolling my area or gathering wood is going to take a lot more than the 1200 calories from the three energy bars you mentioned. Well... that's if you want to sustain for long periods. If its a short bug out... you can possibly go the entire time without eating.
    WW,

Yes I know that 1200 Calories would be a Minim for most folks but it is better than nothing.....Honestly I don't think I could eat 3 a day. As for the MRE's most are shipping with out the heaters these days and I don't see Heaters available either. Possibly due to what can be shipped that is Flammable under the present USPS Rules, UPS wont ship anything even slightly scary by there standards.

Karsten

Karsten... I understand... civilian version vs military version. I buy mine on base... so they come with heaters. I didn't know they were pulling them from the civilian version.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason (co-author of the Bill of Rights)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
    "If guns don't make people safer...then why do world leaders have armed security?" - Author Unknown

I've lived off of MREs before, and I guess I can again if necessary. Before I bought the Wise dehydrated food I have stocked away, I tired a sample of their entrees. Not bad stuff overall. I've also sampled a few of Mountain House's meals. Again, not too shaby.

Has anyone evaluated the long-term storage of quinoa against rice?

Quote Originally Posted by oswegoscott View Post
    I do know that some Civil War hardtack is still good
    Define good,

Taste good
    or
    still acceptible to consume with out causing poison

Don't get me wrong, If I was starving I would say, "Damn, best Ive ever had."

I have had alot of the freeze dried food and dehydrated food and you know some of them are not exactly what I would call edible. But I just got turned on to this dehydrated food site (www.readysetprep.mygofoods.com) from my uncle and he is in love with these things. Check it out I know everything is better than MREs (to all my fellow Grunts and other Military Personell).

PS you just need to boil water and add to the meals.
    Last edited by nickg90; 03-07-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links