The preks of being a prepper
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The preks of being a prepper within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well I sitting in my room watching YT on my new phone when the power goes out. The GF goes into panic mode. So what, ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By Oddcaliber
  • 3 Post By TacticalCanuck
  • 4 Post By sideKahr
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42
  • 1 Post By dsdmmat
  • 1 Post By Jakthesoldier

Thread: The preks of being a prepper

Well I sitting in my room watching YT on my new phone when the power goes out. The GF goes into panic mode. So what, I fire up a Coleman lantern and sit outside for a while. My hardest decision was picking one out! I'll have the last laugh this time.
    sideKahr, Slippy, Arklatex and 2 others like this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

I would fire up my biolite stove, turn the phone off, charge with the biolite, boil some water and make some coffee and open a can of soup. Maybe make some bannock to go with it.

Crack out the solar panel and charge whatever needs it. Read a book. Get firewood ready for outdoor cooker.

Ensure safety will remain, with no phones or communication.

Break out my battery operated radio, tune in to see whats happening.

pack a few things in my truck in case i have to go.

check on the neighbours.

take moment and pause, shaking my head, at the idiocy of my fellow countrymen for electing who they did.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

Yep. When everyone is running around in panic, the prepared man can relax, and THINK, the most important activity of all in an emergency.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I share some of TC's thoughts. Being on the side of the mountain, I feel fortunate in couple of ways. First off, how many of you have the first reaction of "Oh Damn", followed by "Is this the big one"? From my vantage point, I can look down on a large portion of the big city to the south and the west. If it was the "big one" at night, I would probably notice how bright the stars were without all the city lights messing up the sky. With the ham radio, I'd be able to contact a few others to see how wide spread the power outage was. This is very important to me. With the "strange" city water system around here, I could loose city water within minutes of the power outage (especially at get ready for work time). With the proper info, I'll know whether or not to start filling the bathtubs.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

A power outage here makes no difference, just a minor inconvenience.
    Each room in this home has two Aladdin lamps, two conventional "Queen Ann" burner lamps and a Coleman gas fired lantern.
    What is lit depends on the level of light needed.
    The kitchen is well lit with these types also.
    Kitchen Stove is propane fired, no electric is needed to run the kitchen and there are manual alternate items for such as can opening.
    number one and two alternate heat needs no electric either.
    Can fire up a genset when needed to run refrigerator and freezer.
    Ham equipment is operated off deep cycle batteries and have their own genset.
    At least once a year the power is out from a day to a week.
    That outage justifies in my mind the preps I do, usually go through the incident without a hiccup.
    The good part is I can relax, watch my favorite dvd's, or enjoy the time and the quietness without electric things running, no noise from the generators, in a out building.
    I am rural, so it is quiet to begin with.
    That is why I like the Aladdin's, they make no noise like a Coleman does.
    In my bedroom, I have a Yaesu FRG 100 that I SWL with or listen to commercial AM stations,
    it has its own automotive battery and charger, will run for about 6 months without recharging.
    Usually listen to Rush Limburger in the afternoon on it.
    Set has a one hundred foot long wire antenna on it and a antenna tuner/trimmer.
    paraquack likes this.

Ehh I go into the garage and get the generator out, fire it up, connect it to the house, put on a movie and act as if nothing is wrong.
    Maine-Marine likes this.
    It is an evil society that blames the tool for the actions of its user.

Save battery, place a cheapo flashlight lense down on a milk jug full of water.
    shoot2live likes this.
    Hidden Content

My accommodation of your incompetence does not make you right.

Our Gallon Lamp lights up our whole living room.

Hidden Content + Hidden Content = :couple_inlove:

Banned

Ever heard about the NYC babyboom in 1968??? It occurred exactly 9 months after NYC had a major power outage. Almost overflowed the city's hospital's maternity wards. True story.

Sponsored Links