What prep would be next with extra cash
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What prep would be next with extra cash within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Have food Have weapons Have ammo I'll be getting paid off on my totaled truck. I want to spend a portion of it on preps. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What prep would be next with extra cash

Have food
    Have weapons
    Have ammo

I'll be getting paid off on my totaled truck. I want to spend a portion of it on preps.

I was thinking on things that could reduce my utility bills.

High efficiency washing machine (reduce water usage)
    New windows in the house (currently single pane aluminum frame)
    New/coat the roof
    Drill a well (will take ALL the money)
    New energy efficient furnace (last on list because it would be useless if no electricity)

What do you guys think? Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe you guys have other ideas?

My goal is to reduce cost of utilities month to month so that I have more disposable income month to month. Plus I hate paying ridiculous bills. In a perfect world, I'd have solar and a well. One can wish, right hehe
    Arklatex likes this.

If I remember correctly you live in a trailer house. A buddy of mine who also lives in a trailer house (double wide) recently had a new metal roof put on and it cut his ac bill drastically due to reflecting the sun. Plus they last forever. This also applies to a regular house. The windows will also help.
    kevincali and 8301 like this.

If the municipal source of water ceased, what is the current back up plan? New washing machine, windows and furnace will save you in the long run, but If shtf now, how important are these various areas? How is the roof? That could be important. I would probably weigh the roof and the well if no other water source near by. If you have a good alternative water source, the roof would be my priority.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Main source of shtf water is rain water. I have about 500 gallons stored at any one time.

Thinking of a wood burning stove for heat.

So maybe roof number 1, wood burning stove for heat #2 and Windows #3. The Windows would help keep the place from the elements. Hold the heat in longer in the winter or cool in the summer.

Hmm..

Keep the ideas coming

I wish I dared show you my electric bills after
    Changing all light bulbs to led
    Replace freezer and refrigerator freezer with high efficiency energy star rated
    Replace washer and dryer with energy star. And also electric to propane dryer.
    Electric bill went from average 150 to 230
    Down to 53 to 80.
    No bull shit.
    Slippy, kevincali and paraquack like this.

I tend to agree reducing your expenses should be right near/at the top of the list. Pay debts, reduce bills, monitor your increased savings/returns and set that savings aside for ideas that will make it work for you.

Kevin. I believe the first move , if not done already, would be sure your manufactured home has adequate underpinning around the perimeter.
    8301, Viper and kevincali like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Banned

underpinning, roof, windows in that order.
    Viper likes this.

Banned

I've been doing like Alterego. Replaced the 25 yr old fridge. new clothes washer and dishwasher. replaced half the windows and swapped out the 20 yr old hot water heater for a tankless propane water heater; all in the last 10 months. About half of my lights are led now and the power bill keeps slowly dropping, $53 last month since I don't use much AC or heat this time of year. And with the well there is no water bill. These improvements have cut my power bill by about 40%.

Combined with the almost finished solar system I'll probably break even on my power bill after using the AC and heat when a year is averaged out.

Thing is it wasn't my goal to "net zero" my power bill, I've always wanted the solar system and the rest of the stuff just needed to be replaced, especially those old windows.
    Last edited by 8301; 10-28-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    kevincali likes this.

Solar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links