What would you need to buy/barter for after the SHTF?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What would you need to buy/barter for after the SHTF? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; There seems to be a lot of talk about money that would be accepted or what you could use to barter for what you wanted. ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: What would you need to buy/barter for after the SHTF?

There seems to be a lot of talk about money that would be accepted or what you could use to barter for what you wanted.

My question is what would you need after the event happens?

If you are prepared you won't need anything that you haven't stored or can't grow. What is it that you would need to get?

Ripon likes this.
    Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

I have ammo, toilet paper, disinfectant cleaners and water for barter. Oh yeah, Urinal Cakes too!
    Slippy likes this.

A leftist acquaintance and I had a chat along these same lines just the other day while swigging brewskis on boys day out with the guys. He said he would just kill his neighbors and take what he needed. He is the same one who thinks the key to solving violent crime is to cut the pizzles off all new born black male chillins. He says thats how Lenin would do it.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If SHTF today, assuming those who are invited to bug out to Slippy Lodge made it here...we would need antibiotics and certain medicine that you cannot buy over the counter. For the right person, (doctor, dentist, vet, phys asst or nurse) we could trade bringing them into Slippy Lodge.
    Tennessee likes this.

Retired Moderator

There are a few things that I worry about running out of and have not found a way to replace/grow/produce. It really depends how long we will have to be 100% self sufficient.

Immediate:
    Fresh fruits other than apples, berries, pears, cherries, peaches, apricots. This is one of the things I want to put in the greenhouse, fruit! Especially pineapple and citrus.

More than 2 years:
    Spices will be limited i.e. curry, garam masala, tumeric will be gone
    Tuna Fish really all seafood

More than 5 years:
    Arnica gel, I am not having luck getting arnica to grow.
    Dried pasta
    Flour
    Rice
    Olive oil
    I know there are more but these are the ones I have been obsessing on lately.
    Prepared One and Tennessee like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Slippy,
    su casa es mi casa y mi casa es su casa (it has been a while since I used my Spanish but I think that is correct)

You should line up a doctor before it hits my friend - even a veterinary doctor could treat most things - including the diabetes.

Slippy, Prepared One and Renec like this.
    Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    Slippy,
    su casa es mi casa y mi casa es su casa (it has been a while since I used my Spanish but I think that is correct)

You should line up a doctor before it hits my friend - even a veterinary doctor could treat most things - including the diabetes.
    Or a Pharmacist
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Auntie,
    You can make pasta - you don't need dried pasta.

Here are some hints on growing Arnica (wolf's Bane) from one of my books:

Arnica Montana, also called Leopard's bane, Wolf's bane and Mountain Tobacco, is a perennial herb indigenous to the mountain pastures of Central Europe. Arnica has been harvested for medicinal purposes sing the 1500s. Arnica's daisy-like flower and rhizome are dried or made into poultices, tinctures, powders or gels and used to treat skin ailments. Arnica plants grow well outdoors in USDA plant-hardiness Zones 5 to 8, which means these plants can withstand temperatures as low as -20 degrees Fahrenheit. You can grow arnica plants from seed in the spring, germinating them indoors and transplanting them outdoors in May.

Step 1
    Sow your arnica seeds in early spring. Plant the seeds in a shallow dish filled with a moist mixture of equal parts loam, peat and sand. Push the seeds just below the surface of the mix.

Step 2
    Keep the arnica seeds in a cold frame or a greenhouse at 55 degrees Fahrenheit until May. Mist the potting medium with a water spray bottle to keep it moist. Place the dish in bright indirect sunlight.

Step 3
    Transplant the seedlings outdoors in May, after the last frost has passed and the seedlings have germinated. Choose a planting site that receives good indirect sunlight and has well-drained soil.

Step 4
    Water your arnica plant once per week or as needed to keep the soil moist. Because arnica plants thrive in nutrient-poor soils, you do not need to fertilize them.

Step 5
    Pick off the whole flowers in mid- to late summer. Dry the flowers on a tray lined with paper towels placed in an airy room. Dig up and collect the root after the leaves have died in autumn.
    (I dry the flowers wrapped in a loose paper towel that is loosely wrapped in foil and placed on the bottle shelf of my frost free freezer)

Tips and Warnings
    Beware that arnica seeds can be slow to germinate, so you may not be able to transplant the seedlings outdoors until summer.

Store wheat kernels and get a flour mill.
    Learn to use other oils - I like olive oil too but I can use rendered animal fat for just about anything - including salad dressings.

Learn how to make a fish trap and find a place to put it.

I want you to be as self sufficient as I am.... People will come to you for things they need and you can pick and choose what you will accept as payment.

Auntie, Slippy, paraquack and 1 others like this.
    Samuel Adams

Fuel is something I would run out of quickly. My limited space does not allow me to store much gasoline extra outside the gas tank. I have a 5 gallon tank extra that's it. Lucky I have a obscene amount of lighters though.
    paraquack likes this.

I also would be gas short.
    I keep the truck on full, and have a can for premix . I don't like storing gas.
    I was burned very badly at young age.
    Speaking of, I need to fill my two propane bottles.
    Good thread.
    darsk20 and paraquack like this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links