When did you realize you were a prepper? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

When did you realize you were a prepper?

This is a discussion on When did you realize you were a prepper? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by pir8fan get the dual fuel version. We were in texas in 1983 when hurricane alicia hit houston. The coleman fuel was gone ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: When did you realize you were a prepper?

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    get the dual fuel version. We were in texas in 1983 when hurricane alicia hit houston. The coleman fuel was gone almost immediately at $10 per gallon. Keep in mind this was 1983. Gas prices didn't rise. At the time, unleaded gas was well under $1 per gallon. The dual fuel gives far more flexibility and that is exactly what you need in a disaster situation.
    i agree. With one added bit.
    If you store coleman fuel or an off brand of the same, it will not go bad!
    Yes it is expensive but no having to worry about expiring dates.
    There is no shelf life on it.
    I have 55 gallons of it stored.
    I fill my log splitter with it at the end of season.
    preppermama likes this.

I started prepping on the fifth anniversary of 9-11-2001.

I saw a video of people fleeing Manhattan Island on foot after the twin towers collapsed and all traffic was halted by gridlock. People were shuffling along on foot because they could not get through the clogged roads.

Then, out of nowhere, a guy comes riding by on a dual-sport motorcycle, all dressed up in a business suit. He just maneuvered around everything, people, cars, barricades, and kept on motoring past the hordes of people on foot, most carrying their shoes because their feet were hurting. I decided right then that I would be prepared for emergencies, from that point forward.

The movement started out as being called survivalist but a lot of people wanted to break from being called survivalist which were more gun oriented and just concentrate more on the basics, food, water and shelter. But the truth is that if you go to a prepper site or survival site there isn't any difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    i agree. With one added bit.
    If you store coleman fuel or an off brand of the same, it will not go bad!
    Yes it is expensive but no having to worry about expiring dates.
    There is no shelf life on it.
    I have 55 gallons of it stored.
    I fill my log splitter with it at the end of season.
    I am not sure how long Coleman fuel will store but I believe it will last longer then the cans they put it in. Last month I decided to test my lanterns and Coleman fuel I had stored, the can was marked 1994 upon opening it there wasn't any sediments and it was as clear as ever it worked perfectly, I wish I wouldn't have opened it now as I believe it just cost under 2 dollars a gallon back then.

I also use it to run my small engines devices at the end of the season as it does't have all the additives to gum up the carburetor while sitting.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 11-18-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickkyw1720pf View Post
    i am not sure how long coleman fuel will store but i believe it will last longer then the cans they put it in. Last month i decided to test my lanterns and coleman fuel i had stored, the can was marked 1994 upon opening it there wasn't any sediments and it was as clear as ever it worked perfectly, i wish i wouldn't have opened it now as i believe it just cost under 2 dollars a gallon back then.

I also use it to run my small engines devices at the end of the season as it does't have all the additives to gum up the carburetor while sitting.
    it will last indefinitely. I spray the outside of the cans with wd40 before putting them on the shelf.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links