When did you realize you were a prepper? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

When did you realize you were a prepper?

This is a discussion on When did you realize you were a prepper? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; For me it was a mixture of wildfires and common sense finally catching up with me. We live in SW Montana, near Yellowstone Park. We ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: When did you realize you were a prepper?

For me it was a mixture of wildfires and common sense finally catching up with me.

We live in SW Montana, near Yellowstone Park. We get frequent earthquakes, the park getting dozens and sometimes hundreds a day, tho most are too small to feel. Lately they're getting stronger and we haven't had it bad but areas around us have had a few incidents of decent shakers. That put me a bit on edge and I made sure to have a few extra food stuffs just in case. Then this past summer we wound up about 10 miles from a huge forest fire that got hundreds of thousands of acres and several homes. Hundreds of people were evacuated, the majority only given a few minutes to grab what they could and go, the desperately dry conditions making an extremely fast moving firewall. Almost all of them were relying of volunteers from my town and Red Cross for everything for almost two months and none that I had the honor of helping had even thought of prepping, even the Montanas who'd been here for generations.

All of that finally spurred me in to canning and food preservation, extreme couponing, learning sanitation and pretty soon I'm going to be taking personal safety and defense lessons.

I used to get so much grief from my mom and dad because I was "just a housewife with paranoia issues" but now they're asking me for help getting their own stockpile and emergency packs ready. So never underestimate a determined and stubborn woman, I guess.
    preppermama likes this.

It funny that many people forget that our parents and grandparents were preppers. ..of sorts.

I remember my mother, grandmother and Aunts all canning every year. That was Prepping before it had a name. It was just the way life was in the Midwest.

My uncles all had gardens and small farms to get them through the winters. Most of them worked at GM in Flint, Michigan but still made time to make sure they were ready for the winter.

Heck, every mother with a purse is a kind of Prepper if you think about it.
    Hidden Content
    Prepped, Practiced & Prepared

My late parents weren't preppers, in fact they were sloppy, slovenly and disorganised in everything they did in normal everyday life, so rather than being influenced by them, I became determined to be just the opposite because I didn't want to be as hopelessly woolly-minded as them..

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

January 17, 1994, at 04:31 Pacific Standard Time. That is when I started to evolve into a "prepper".

after we lost everything when we got hit by hurricane andrew in 92. all i have was several guns after the hurricane to protect what little we had from the downtown miami geto rats that came it to take what they could. took the military two weeks to get in and the state/local govenment never made it in.

Heck, I grew up camping and hiking for extended trips with limited equipment. My parents were Depression babies. It was the way I was raised. Didn't even have a term for it until recently. Heard all of this talk about "preppers" and I realized I was one!
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor - Personal Protection in the Home
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRifles View Post
    January 17, 1994, at 04:31 Pacific Standard Time. That is when I started to evolve into a "prepper".
    Ok I use a quote like that was that the Northridge quake?

This seems to be a relevant place for my first post on this forum!

I wouldn't really classify myself as a prepper. Yet.

I was in the Boy Scouts my entire childhood until I earned my Eagle Scout at 16 and i quit to pursue precision rifle shooting.
    The Scouts certainly taught me countless invaluable survival and leadership skills. And most importantly the Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared" which I took to heart as a boy and live by to this day.
    Unfortunately as a student i'm really just hoping to make it through school and find a job and be able to begin making steps towards prepping.
    When I really began to consider a doomsday scenario as a serious threat during my lifetime I was about 20 years old.
    Like i said i can't consider myself a prepper yet since I lack the financial ability to support it at this time, but I would consider myself a prepper on the mental front though. I constantly brush up by knowledge on botany, geology, meteorology, astrology, and of course survival.

I'm excited to have joined the forum and hopefully I can share some of my knowledge and find some useful new information to fill my information arsenal.

-HarshGeometry

Quote Originally Posted by nadja View Post
    Lucky Jim. You should at least have a coleman type propane camping type stove with some extra fuel canisters. Then you could always heat water for your tea. Also you could cook on it. I was wondering, do the English cook food ? LOL Nadja
    Get the dual fuel version. We were in Texas in 1983 when Hurricane Alicia hit Houston. The Coleman fuel was gone almost immediately at $10 per gallon. Keep in mind this was 1983. Gas prices didn't rise. At the time, unleaded gas was well under $1 per gallon. The dual fuel gives far more flexibility and that is exactly what you need in a disaster situation.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor - Personal Protection in the Home
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

I'm so sorry that some of you had to loose so much in order to realize it or to start prepping. I'm am very happy though that you all were able to grow and keep on moving. Great Job everyone.

I can't believe how popular this thread is. :0)
    Hidden Content
    Prepped, Practiced & Prepared

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links