When did you realize you were a prepper? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

When did you realize you were a prepper?

This is a discussion on When did you realize you were a prepper? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I don't really think of myself as a prepper. When I was a kid I noticed that all my older relatives who had been through ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: When did you realize you were a prepper?

I don't really think of myself as a prepper.

When I was a kid I noticed that all my older relatives who had been through the great Depression had a cabinet in the garage stuff full of canned/jarred foods. When I would ask why they had food stored in the garage. I was told "We had to go hungry during the depression. Not going through that again."

Then we had the Sylmar earthquake and we had food in our house and some of our neighbors didn't. It was cold canned food but it was food and we were not hungry. Hmmm.

As I got older and started camping and shooting/hunting I got camping equipment. So when I got my Coleman stove I decided I would not have to eat cold beans in the next quake If I had 5-6 gallons of Coleman fuel in the shed. Then I got 55gal water barrels, generator, coleman heater, tools etc.

While the above was going on I got more and more into shooting sports so Firearms in the house for that. Then of course if you buy ammo by the case it's cheaper...

It started by not wanting to go hungry in an earthquake/disaster and morphed into living well through one in security.

When I realized I had backed into prepping. I joined this site.
    shotlady, nadja and preppermama like this.

I grew up with my mom on welfare. I HATED the fact that she was on welfare. We never seemed to have enough of ANYTHING. Always struggling to have food, or pay bills. Especially the food. We would have one paper bag of food that HAD to last me, my brother, and my mom a month. I VOWED to NEVER go on foodstamps, or go hungry again....I worked from the moment I turned 16 ($400 a week doing grunt work construction) until I got laid off 3 years ago....

NOW that I own a house outright, I wanted to plant some plants to dress up the yard. I think the FINAL factor was coming out of the nursery with nothing but fruit trees, and edibles. I knew right then that I was at least a semi prepper. By planting edibles, I'm prepping for when I can't just go to the grocery store and buy what I want, wether its not there, or unobtainable due to hyper-inflation.
    shotlady, preppermama and nadja like this.

Same here kevincali! I grew up poor, although, we never collected welfare back then. We were probably one of the families that should've been on welfare but wasn't. We went without a lot and struggled constantly and I always said I would never live my own life that way or bring up children like that. I started working jobs here and there when I was 12 and by the time I was 18 I had two full time jobs. I eventually worked my way through college and purposely waited to start a family until I was married, with a home, and my feet beneath me. And we still struggle, but nothing like I did when I was a kid.

And yes, that definitely is a motivation to prep. I want to avoid ever struggling like that again, especially now that we have children in the scenario.

Don't get me wrong, we still live simply. It's just out of choice and not necessity.
    Last edited by preppermama; 11-16-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    nadja and AquaHull like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I got tired of being called a hoarder, so I renamed myself.
    cannon, preppermama and wesley762 like this.

I don't consider myself a prepper, I'm a realist with foresight.
    Denton and preppermama like this.

Wouldn't you like to be a Prepper too?

... sorry.. I couldn't help myself.
    Denton likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Ha ha what's in a name? Prepper, Survivalist, or even 'Watcher'..

"Wars, rumours of wars, false christs, earthqakes, famines, persecutions, darkened sun and moon, falling stars, shaken planets.
    Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning until now—and never to be equaled again.
    Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.
    What I say to you, I say to everyone: Watch !"- Jesus of Nazareth, Mark ch 13

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 11-16-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Denton likes this.

When I realized my father was a survivalist, teaching me how to survive and live off the land.
    Learning skills not used in more than half a century.
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by insatiable ONE View Post
    When I realized my father was a survivalist, teaching me how to survive and live off the land.
    Learning skills not used in more than half a century.
    That was exactly what my work partner and I were discussing last night. She has been "prepping" since the 70's, but it wasn't called prepping. She was simply making sure she would still be happy if the lights went out and the trucks stopped delivering.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I got tired of being called a hoarder, so I renamed myself.
    That one made me laugh.
    Denton and preppermama like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links