No-See-Um net uses
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

No-See-Um net uses

This is a discussion on No-See-Um net uses within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; The problem: Our BOL is abundantly supplied with life -- including ticks, mosquitoes, and poison ivy. I need to work out chest-deep in this life ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Spice
  • 1 Post By Auntie
  • 2 Post By Medic33
  • 1 Post By Arklatex

Thread: No-See-Um net uses

No-See-Um net uses

The problem: Our BOL is abundantly supplied with life -- including ticks, mosquitoes, and poison ivy. I need to work out chest-deep in this life often. And it's summer. The long pants/long sleeved shirt thing is getting pretty oppressive.

A potential solution: I've got jacket and pants made of no-see-um netting. I'm thinking of wearing that over lighter clothing, when the work isn't going to be rough enough to immediately tear up the netting.

The question: Has anyone used this stuff? If so, how does it work to keep these hazards off one's skin?

Thanks for your time.
    Arklatex likes this.

No netting here. But where I'm from they would light a fire at night and the bugs would go towards the fire like a moth towards a flame and be burned up. I think the fire has to be raging.

We have no see um screens on our lanai. Simply put it is a smaller gauge of screen they can not get through. Regular screening is not small enough to keep out the suckers. If you have windows open at night and feel itching around your ankles, you got no see ums.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

I have no experience with the netting. When walking in the woods I put carmex on my wrists, waist and ankles.

Find some Guinea Fowl on Craigs List under farm and garden. They are excellent bug eaters and take care of themselves.
    Arklatex likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

the netting works but you will still be miserably hot in it -try Skin so Soft from Avon I think? for some reason bugs just don't like that stuff and 7 dust the areas you are frequently chilling in or just before you leave one afternoon fog the crap out of as much area you can. BTW the natural enemy of tics is the opossum the have a buffet on those things. but possums are also king of creepy but way better than tics.
    one thing I did at my bol was put up a couple bat shelters they eat tons of bugs each night and work pretty much year round only the really freezing cold months do they hibernate.
    Arklatex and Spice like this.
    oops

Try them out and see if they work for you.

Also, to add to Auntie and Medics excellent suggestions on natural bug control I will add my suggestion: build a purple Martin house. Once you manage to attract them they will eat their body weight in mosquito every day amd come back every year. So will bats. Guinea are great at patrolling the garden and also serve as an alarm. They'll make a racket when someone or something is amiss.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. Quality bug repellent is also effective.
    Spice likes this.

Sponsored Links