Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Non-prep related rant

3K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Jakthesoldier 
#1 ·
I detest Comcast. Their products, their service, their customer interaction. All of it is terrible. Unfortunately, due to my location, they are my ONLY option for Internet of any speed. My connection is spotty at best. The speed varies greatly. I actually was on their site to do some troubleshooting, and followed a link to a troubleshooting guide. The link took me to a page that repeatedly told me that an error had occurred, and apologized for the inconvenience. So now, I have to find a guide on troubleshooting their troubleshooting guide. RIDICULOUS!!!!

#2 ·
The worst is when internet providers expect you to look up solutions to your connection problem on their website.

If I can't connect to the net then HOW THE #*$% am I supposed to see their #$%^ing WEBSITE?

#3 ·
Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about Comcast, their technical support and customer service. I will not bore you with the details, it took 8 months 6 death certificates and numerous visits to their office to get them to cancel the account and take their boxes back. They were rude, insensitive and downright nasty to me.

#4 ·
We just cancelled Dish at home... we now have no paid TV service.. we have netflix and I have a TV antenna I need to connect

We had an comcast outage (internet and voice) at work last week.. I called (on my cell phone) and explained what was going on..and yep there was an area wide outage... I ask to have all calls forwarded to my cell phone.. the girl said..you can do that online... I said "Do you remember why I am calling?"..... she did a forward for me....

#5 ·
Hmmmm.... I signed up with Comcast earlier this year. If you thought they are bad, you have no idea what having a bundled service with Dish and Windfart (stream) was like. A blazing internet speed of 1.5, paying for service I did not want (copper line phone, $15 a month could not call out beyond a 15 mile radius if I did try to use the phone), Dish was okay except for losing signal during storms. Right now I save $30 a month over what I was paying, but it jumps up $30 in year 2 of the contract.

#7 ·
I've heard horror stories. I don't have comcast but I do have issues of my own. The problem seems to be no competition. Most of these companies are the only choice people have so they can be super shitty. It's them or nothing.

#8 ·
Ahhh Modern conveniences. Gotta love it. I threaten to yank out Comcast on a weekly basis it seems. But, football season is coming.

Reactions: PatriotFlamethrower
#10 ·
bullshit
you don't like them then go satellite dude
wild blue, hughes net ect.
don't say that is the only internet provider you can get
I live way out in bfe there is no internet out here except what I provide via satellite same for my BOL it may not be the fastest but I still got it.

#13 ·
I sort of hate Comcast too because they have fairly frequent outages. I found that calling them and complaining a lot seems to help. I get upgraded to the newest hardware at least once a year, and my connect speeds are good for a residential account.

I just checked and am getting 120 mbps down and almost 15 up.

Tip: most big companies (like Comcast) have a customer retention group, though they may call it something else. Always say that you want to discontinue your service, then ask if they have such a group. The people in these retention groups are authorized to do pretty much anything to keep you as a customer. I have gotten better equipment, free plan upgrades, free months, and lower rates by using this little trick. It's worth trying.

Reactions: darsk20
#15 ·
We use an antenna for TV, and our land line phone company provided us with a wi fi modem that is high speed. To keep the bill low we have local calls only, no long distance, caller ID, none of that.
It is good on line service, just as quick as here at work.

Reactions: Denton
#17 ·
When I was 40 miles west of Chicago, city of 50,000, Comcast was THE only provider and had their way (expletive removed) with the citizens (and me). When I moved, I dropped off the modem and got the receipt and filed it (thank God). Three months later, I get a forwarded bill for $200 for the modem. The claim I didn't return it. It took me nearly a half hour of waiting on the phone before I could talk to someone. "Just send us a copy of the receipt. So I sent them a copy of the receipt and figured it was done. NOPE, went thru it two more times. Comcast can go to ....

#18 ·
I detest Comcast. Their products, their service, their customer interaction. All of it is terrible. Unfortunately, due to my location, they are my ONLY option for Internet of any speed. My connection is spotty at best. The speed varies greatly. I actually was on their site to do some troubleshooting, and followed a link to a troubleshooting guide. The link took me to a page that repeatedly told me that an error had occurred, and apologized for the inconvenience. So now, I have to find a guide on troubleshooting their troubleshooting guide. RIDICULOUS!!!!
yes you did-but hey it's cool.

#21 ·
The saga continues. After spending nearly 3 hours on phone with tech "support", they sent a guy to check everything out at my house. Shockingly, this rocket scientist could find no issues. According to him, everything was working perfectly. When I demonstrated that I had multiple devices that would not connect properly, he finally admitted that there was an issue, but unfortunately, he had no idea how to fix it. I suggested a new modem, but to no avail. I asked him what the next step to resolve my issues was, an he said that there was nothing else they could do. I asked him if he expected me to continue to pay for a service that didn't work, and he just stared at me blankly.

Upon his departure, I called tech "support" again, and God above was smiling on me. I managed to get the ONLY Comcast employee that had any sense. After lots of trouble shooting (phone time with comcast at this point- 4 hours) he said that there is no question that I need a new modem. He apologized that the guy who came to the house didn't just give me one. He advised me to pack up my modem and take it to the local office, and trade it in. He said he would set up another service call if I wished, but he said he didn't trust the idiot that they would send to do the right thing.

Following his advice, I am now standing in line (of 14 people)at the local office, attempting to trade my defective equipment for some that might work. I will update soon.

Reactions: darsk20
#22 ·
The saga continues. After spending nearly 3 hours on phone with tech "support", they sent a guy to check everything out at my house. Shockingly, this rocket scientist could find no issues. According to him, everything was working perfectly. When I demonstrated that I had multiple devices that would not connect properly, he finally admitted that there was an issue, but unfortunately, he had no idea how to fix it. I suggested a new modem, but to no avail. I asked him what the next step to resolve my issues was, an he said that there was nothing else they could do. I asked him if he expected me to continue to pay for a service that didn't work, and he just stared at me blankly.

Upon his departure, I called tech "support" again, and God above was smiling on me. I managed to get the ONLY Comcast employee that had any sense. After lots of trouble shooting (phone time with comcast at this point- 4 hours) he said that there is no question that I need a new modem. He apologized that the guy who came to the house didn't just give me one. He advised me to pack up my modem and take it to the local office, and trade it in. He said he would set up another service call if I wished, but he said he didn't trust the idiot that they would send to do the right thing.

Following his advice, I am now standing in line (of 14 people)at the local office, attempting to trade my defective equipment for some that might work. I will update soon.
This is why I let my wife deal with the tech.

#23 ·
Eureka! It is done. I have successfully managed to get the service that I am paying for. A new modem did the trick. Granted, I stood in line for nearly an hour, and spent ANOTHER half hour on the phone, but it is over. I even managed not to yell at the lady that exchanged my modem for me who attempted to sell me more comcast services. Apparently, after this harrowing ordeal, I am more qualified to be a comcast service tech than anyone I have encountered so far.

#25 ·
Feels your pain. Charter is the local cable service around here and they are a joke. So they should play well if or when they merge with Comcast. We stumbled over ATT U verse a year or two back and they seem to keep things running pretty well. Nothing to nag about so far. Too bad the folks who live in the sticks cant get that one..lol.
Charter Communications And Comcast's Dealmaking May Benefit Consumers - Forbes

#26 ·
I just reconnected cable TV and internet here. He got it all connected then realized he needed a new wire from the curb to the house, so he was here running cable for an hour or more. I get the privilege of paying two months on one bill plus the modem fee and an install fee to boot. I never had to pay that before. Oh well glad it finally works. I went to college for IT, so if some low level questions ask. Can't guarantee anything.

#30 ·
I heard a really awesome story about a cable company once. Dude lived on the very freaking TIP of their service area, but like more than 50 miles from the next closest subscriber. He demanded service and they refused, because a lifetime of highest level service would cost more than laying the line. So they bought him satellite service completely maximum package, every channel available including premium, full Internet and phone service with every goodie available. Free. For life. Just to not lay the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.