SHTF and the elderly
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

SHTF and the elderly

This is a discussion on SHTF and the elderly within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm sure that many of us have a relative in a Nursing or Assisted living facility. What is your plan for them if the S ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: SHTF and the elderly

SHTF and the elderly

I'm sure that many of us have a relative in a Nursing or Assisted living facility. What is your plan for them if the S really Hits hard? In my case, we have a relative that is 90 and lives in a nursing home in town. She is in pretty good shape for her age but has mild dementia and needs a walker. I will find a way to get her back here. But what about the other people there? Many do not have family that seems to care about them. Many are on oxygen or serious medication. Or are very disabled and cant live without assistance. I highly doubt that the staff will hang around long, leaving these people to fend for themselves. Similar to what some have read in 1 second after.

What to do?

Thoughts?
    Prepared One and Slippy like this.

That really depends on the nature of the disaster and one's ability to get to them. Your question brings Hurricane Katrina to mind.

You/we can only do so much and we have the rest of our family to consider. Very hard choices will have to be made if it ever gets to that point in this country, and so far that isn't a problem I will have to face if it where to happen right now for my family, thank God! But I will make the choice as I see fit at a given time and will live with said choices, that being said I personally would be one of those who has heath issues and won't allow myself to be a major burden on the rest of my family.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well, My Father recently moved here from Denver. He is 81 and as sharp as a tack. Gets around pretty good as well. He lives in a retirement community. Some are not as well off as he is. In a SHTF scenario I would get him to my house. The others, I am affraid, would be on there own. I know that sounds hard but I can't take all of them.
    Arklatex, ekim and Big Country1 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    That really depends on the nature of the disaster and one's ability to get to them. Your question brings Hurricane Katrina to mind.
    For the scenario I am talking about total shtf. Doesn't matter what caused it, society is done for the foreseeable future.
    Slippy and ekim like this.

You have to remember, you cant help everyone. You have to keep you and your family's best interests in mind. Some very tough decisions will have to be made post SHTF, and every single one you make you'll have to live with.
    NOT ALL CONSPIRACIES ARE THEORIES! Hidden Content

If you see a Liberal today, remind them just how much of a moron they are!!

Liberals = Weapons of Mass Destruction

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

I am in my mid 70's, I have stored enough of my meds (type 2 diabetic) for two years, four if I reduce.
    Reduction of food intake would allow for this.
    I am not crippled or suffering from any mental deterioration issues.
    I can still out shoot most people around here with a rifle and have at every past P.D. Qualification topped all with my 1911 and brookfield precision M25.
    I will not become a burden to my family or close friends, would rather be worm food.
    Many come to me for survival advice and how to on things, I would continue to prove my worth in these areas if the SHTF.
    In a real bad situation of extended proportions, for many the only thing could be is to make them as comfortable as possible.
    If there are family members who are distant and dependent for daily needs, best to leave them where they are IF you place yourself at risk of harm.
    Hard choice, but like every combat order, there are risks, then there unnecessary risks. You have to justify you actions to yourself and others under you.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-10-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Arklatex, Prepared One and Slippy like this.

If SHTF while I'm still here in this current house, I can help my gramma. She lives next door and will be easy to take care of. Only problem would be protecting 2 homes. Mine has the preps/firearms/fruit trees. Hers is just normal. I know she wouldn't want to come over here. She would want to stay there.

If it happens while I'm back east, then I'm not sure. Might drive the 3 days here, then 3 days back. Might not. Depends if its nation wide or localized/regional.
    Slippy, Arklatex and Prepared One like this.

In a total breakdown (like an EMP event), it's going to be really tough on the elderly who are not in good health or the medication-dependent.

I suspect it would be mostly a "do what you can" for your loved ones type of a deal. I mean, if it's your mom or dad, you are going to do whatever you can, aren't you? I would (although all of our parents have passed already).

There comes a point in time when one has to realize that resources are limited and you have to make tough choices, but I think everybody here would just do the best we can to be good and loyal family members.

Non-family? I think it's the same, you do what you can, realizing family has to come first.

I hope to God we never have to find out.

If Diver were the elderly person that I was caring for, it would be an easy decision.

Seriously, it would be very easy!

But for real people, I would do my very best to get them out of the nursing home and into a safe environment. If WROL follows true catastrophic SHTF, then successful extraction may be impossible.

I pray that doesn't occur.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links