99 tips. makes me think of preppermamma and nadja! - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

99 tips. makes me think of preppermamma and nadja!

This is a discussion on 99 tips. makes me think of preppermamma and nadja! within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; That's pretty neat. Thanks for the video. I guess after all that grinding you could use those aluminum filings for thermite too. How To Do ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 99 tips. makes me think of preppermamma and nadja!

That's pretty neat. Thanks for the video. I guess after all that grinding you could use those aluminum filings for thermite too. How To Do Stuff: How To Make Thermite:

I'm wondering... once lit, could you transfer the flame to the outside holes immediately or do you have to wait the full two minutes for it to occur naturally? Ideally, the alcohol should create fumes almost immediately and they should be flammable. With that in mind, why light the center? Couldn't you light the outside holes first? Any thoughts on why this will or won't work? Finally... how do you put it out? If I put in 2 ounces but only use one to heat water. I'd like to save the remaining alcohol for a future use. I'm wondering if I could just take an old vegetable can and cover it to kill the oxygen and smother the flames. And... that can might be a good outer cover to store the stove in so it doesn't get damaged in your BOB. Also... once lit, is it dangerous to add alcohol to the center area or is that a flame risk? I'd rather not put it out, add fuel, then wait two minutes to start using it again.

Quote Originally Posted by WoadWarrior View Post
    I'm wondering... once lit, could you transfer the flame to the outside holes immediately or do you have to wait the full two minutes for it to occur naturally? Ideally, the alcohol should create fumes almost immediately and they should be flammable. With that in mind, why light the center? Couldn't you light the outside holes first? Any thoughts on why this will or won't work? Finally... how do you put it out? If I put in 2 ounces but only use one to heat water. I'd like to save the remaining alcohol for a future use. I'm wondering if I could just take an old vegetable can and cover it to kill the oxygen and smother the flames. And... that can might be a good outer cover to store the stove in so it doesn't get damaged in your BOB. Also... once lit, is it dangerous to add alcohol to the center area or is that a flame risk? I'd rather not put it out, add fuel, then wait two minutes to start using it again.
    Just looking at how he made the stove, I wonder if some of the holes were clogged up with aluminum dust, thereby blocking oxygen flow. I would take a few minutes to clean out each of those holes in the stove before lighting. It might speed the process due to better oxygen flow.
    hayden likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It takes a couple minutes for the alcohol to heat up and make the gases to come out of the side holes. The alcohol actually appears to boil (small bubbles) . I think your idea for snuffing out the flame with a can should work. I've never tried to put the flame out but if you have a limited fuel supply that would be a good thing to be able to do. I think trying to add fuel would be dangerous. I did see a guy on youtube stuff the stove with pink insulation between the 2 halves and it did light much quicker, maybe 10 seconds after lighting the center. The body of the stove does get hot so it needs to be placed on a heat resistant surface. I don't hammer mine together like this guy, I use 3
    c clamps and 2 blocks of wood to push the pieces together evenly. The first one I built I didn't have a small enough drillbit, I used a 1/16 and it didn't work very well. I did make a sleeve to go around the stove that was notched out so every other hole was sealed off and when I lit it it looked like it was going to work ok. 8 flames started burning but when I placed the pan of water on top the flames would get smaller and go out. Maybe it wasn't hot enough to create the fumes needed. I cut my bottles with a band saw. Probably faster and more accurate than using a dremel tool.

this site has a few of these kind of life tips. Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done Look under the re-purposing section and you can get even more ideas. This one could be especially handy when SHTF http://lifehacker.com/5918992/make-a...?tag=repurpose

totally legit! thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting this. These are great, common sense tips!

I was going back to bed to get ready for work.

Then I saw this post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links